Site doesn't scroll properly using Chrome?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
There is something bizarre happening (and has been happening for some time) when I read threads on pedelecs.co.uk:
I am on a standard windows 7 machine, using chrome, with a mouse.
When I click on a thread and try and scroll through it using the wheel of the mouse, if the cursor is positioned over certain parts of the screen (e.g. somewhere in the main body of the text), then often (and I mean, REALLY often, maybe 50% of the time) turning the wheel either has no effect, or you get minute movement, rather than the normal large screen scroll. Twirl the mouse randomly so the cursor falls somewhere else, and you stand a chance of it starting to scroll properly again. Or maybe not if you're unlucky so you need to give it another twirl.

My machine doesn't do this with any other web pages.
A totally different machine I have in work but also running W7 and chrome also does the same thing.
If I try it on the same machine but using IE, then its ok!
And I have just updated Chrome to the latest version. Still the same.

Anyone else suffering the same, or any ideas?

D

Deleted member 4366

I started a thread about that about a month ago because I had exactly the same thing. I figured out that it seem to happen whenever the Edge Bikes banner was showing. It was a right pain, so in the end. I used Microsoft Edge just for Pedelecs forum, then, about a month later, I forgot to use Edge and used Chrome instead. Mysteriously, it had cured itself of the problem and it's been OK ever since!

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I started a thread about that about a month ago because I had exactly the same thing. I figured out that it seem to happen whenever the Edge Bikes banner was showing. It was a right pain, so in the end. I used Microsoft Edge just for Pedelecs forum, then, about a month later, I forgot to use Edge and used Chrome instead. Mysteriously, it had cured itself of the problem and it's been OK ever since!
I remember that thread now (it was the one where people didn't know their bits from their bytes :)). I've just gone back and had a look.
It may or may not be the same thing. I thought it was referring to a speed issue mostly, or the site seeming to lock up for a while?

I don't see any speed issue as such - in as much as if I can't scroll (although yes ... that means scrolling is slow!), as soon as I move the cursor to another part of the screen, it can instantly work at full speed straight away. So its almost certainly something to do with some part of some software not liking the mouse co-ordinates being at certain positions, rather than ad scripts bogging the system down.
I actually run adblock, so I never see any adverts anyway, however I've now tried enabling it for this site to see if that might have been the problem. Didn't make any difference.

At the moment, as yours (d8veh) has 'mysteriously cured itself', I'm tempted to think there is some software issue that's been sorted behind the scenes fir W10, but whoever has fixed it, hasn't got around to doing so for W7.
But is it a Microsoft issue, a chrome issue, or this forum software's issue?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I get an issue occasionally with black squares appearing randomly as I scroll up or down.
This happens both with W 10 and with Linux Mint and is fixed for me by pausing Adblock.
It hasn't happened for a few days.
Dave.

D

Deleted member 4366

At first, I thought it was a speed issue, but after a lot of experimentation, I found that I could scroll to a certain point and then it would lock for a while, then it would continue after an annoying wait. I guess that something was happening in the background. The point to which it would scroll was always the same and in the position where the Edge Bikes banner appeared on the screen. I'm not saying that's what caused it, but that position was consistent, so could be something nearby or anything else. I think I've had two Win 10 updates since then, so one of them might have cured it or maybe Chrome did some sort of fix.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I found that I could scroll to a certain point and then it would lock for a while, then it would continue after an annoying wait.
Ok, so I've tried a couple of things.
If I get the cursor to somewhere where it refuses to scroll, if I keep scrolling and scrolling the wheel, it will never ever move. If however I wait for a couple of seconds and retry (without moving the mouse at all), miraculously, it works. Of course, this is still unacceptable, but it does now sound very similar to the problem you had.

Also, I did a very quick google on scrolling problems with XenForo that this site uses, and there do seem to be numerous issues. Especially when things like custom add-ons are used.
I wonder what the distribution is of people using this site over the various platforms? Maybe there just aren't many people using it on a conventional PC running W7 and Chrome ? Maybe most are phone zombies just like the 'enemy' :)

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I was having the same problems with the black squares, but my machine had become very slow so I thought it was to do with that. Have now got a chromebook and it scrolls perfectly

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi folks,

We're working on a big update at the moment. I'll keep this issue in mind while testing the new version.

thanks
Russ.

Reactions: D C

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Hi folks,

We're working on a big update at the moment. I'll keep this issue in mind while testing the new version.

thanks
Russ.
Well ... always tempting fate to speak too soon .... however its looking like the forum software update has cured my scrolling issues :)

Cheers!

Advertisers