Slow pedal assist:

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
Looking more closely it looks like the disk diameter isn't adapted to the sensor position? Very strange.
Do you think it could be a mismatched set, highly unlikely I know but.....

It does look very odd, I have been looking at a few correctly fitted ones and they look perfect in every angle.
Getting the supplier to believe this is going to be very tricky, if they ever reply that is.

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
Do you think it could be a mismatched set, highly unlikely I know but.....

It does look very odd, I have been looking at a few correctly fitted ones and they look perfect in every angle.
Getting the supplier to believe this is going to be very tricky, if they ever reply that is.
Sorry, repeating myself there! Thought the first one had not gone.

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
So, the thing is, even though the bike is brand new it has no guarantee, to speak of because I got it at a very good price.
It looks like it's down to me to sort it out.
If I was to buy a split ring disc and sensor and just disconnect at controller and plug the new one in could that work?
I'd rather get this one working if I could, is there any chance the controller could be causing the problem.
Thanks.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If you turn the bike upside down, after checking nothing on the handle bars will get broken :)
Turn the bike on and test as is by turning the pedals until the motor comes on (this is just a reference point) then try getting the sensor more inline with the magnets and test if the fault goes away, you could remove the sensor and just tape it in place for a test, you could hold it by hand being careful that the chain and sprocket doesn't remove a finger, or bend a Z bend into the bracket to align the sensor if there is enough space, at the very least you should be able to verify the sensor position is the culprit before buying new bits.

On the plus side look how much new knowledge on e-bikes and how they work that you are getting :)

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
If you turn the bike upside down, after checking nothing on the handle bars will get broken :)
Turn the bike on and test as is by turning the pedals until the motor comes on (this is just a reference point) then try getting the sensor more inline with the magnets and test if the fault goes away, you could remove the sensor and just tape it in place for a test, you could hold it by hand being careful that the chain and sprocket doesn't remove a finger, or bend a Z bend into the bracket to align the sensor if there is enough space, at the very least you should be able to verify the sensor position is the culprit before buying new bits.

On the plus side look how much new knowledge on e-bikes and how they work that you are getting :)
That's me sorted for a couple of hours!
I needed something to try, thanks.
Will report back on loss of finger count.
I do like to learn along the way, will give it my best shot.

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
That's me sorted for a couple of hours!
I needed something to try, thanks.
Will report back on loss of finger count.
I do like to learn along the way, will give it my best shot.
Just one more thing if I may.
The motor is supposed to cut out at 15mph does this same sensor/disc have anything to do with that?
Thanks.

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
With help from everyone it appears the problem has been resolved by manipulating the position of the sensor, thank you. :D

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
Now I am on a roll..... I have a display unit bought last year.
I have opened the controller casing but there is no corresponding connection
Does this mean I need to buy another controller if I want to add a display?
Picture of the display connector.

Attachments

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The motor is supposed to cut out at 15mph does this same sensor/disc have anything to do with that?
No, generally unrelated.

Pleased to here the PAS is working, congratulations on sticking with it.

Re the display looks like as you say it,s not compatible.
A display is not really an essential item a cheap bike computer will give miles, odo, average and a lot even nag for oiling the chain etc :), the last one I bought was $6 aud with all of the above.
You will get a good feel for range once you have charged a few times, if you have a 2 amp charger and it takes 2 hours to charge then you have used less than 4 ah, since they tend to taper the charge toward the end, if you just use the charge time x charge current of the charger it will give you a good reserve "tank" of amp hours used.
You will also get an idea of what each LED is indicating capacity left wise after a few charges.

The batteries range will increase in capacity over the first few charges so don't panic if the range seems short at first, and on steep hills the battery indicator will tend to drop alarmingly at times, don't worry as once your on the flat it should return to a correct reading, its just the heavy load on the batteries causing the voltage to drop.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Last edited:

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
No, generally unrelated.

Pleased to here the PAS is working, congratulations on sticking with it.

Re the display looks like as you say it,s not compatible.
A display is not really an essential item a cheap bike computer will give miles, odo, average and a lot even nag for oiling the chain etc :), the last one I bought was $6 aud with all of the above.
You will get a good feel for range once you have charged a few times, if you have a 2 amp charger and it takes 2 hours to charge then you have used less than 4 ah, since they tend to taper the charge toward the end, if you just use the charge time x charge current of the charger it will give you a good reserve "tank" of amp hours used.
You will also get an idea of what each LED is indicating capacity left wise after a few charges.

The batteries range will increase in capacity over the first few charges so don't panic if the range seems short at first, and on steep hills the battery indicator will tend to drop alarmingly at times, don't worry as once your on the flat it should return to a correct reading, its just the heavy load on the batteries causing the voltage to drop.

Hopefully that all makes sense.
It makes perfect sense, thank you.
The reason I asked about the sensor was I wanted to test at what speed the motor is cutting out, when I did ride it seemed it was going a lot faster than 15mph.
So you mean one of those wireless displays off ebay?
Would that do what I describe above, just that I heard they were very unreliable, hope I'm wrong.
Thanks.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
It makes perfect sense, thank you.
The reason I asked about the sensor was I wanted to test at what speed the motor is cutting out, when I did ride it seemed it was going a lot faster than 15mph.
So you mean one of those wireless displays off ebay?
Would that do what I describe above, just that I heard they were very unreliable, hope I'm wrong.
Thanks.

Any reasonable cycle computer, wired or wireless will do. I have a Cateye Velo 7 on one of my bikes and they are good and accurate. About £15 from Amazon and may be cheaper elsewhere.

billyx22

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2014
Any reasonable cycle computer, wired or wireless will do. I have a Cateye Velo 7 on one of my bikes and they are good and accurate. About £15 from Amazon and may be cheaper elsewhere.
One shall be ordered forthwith!
Thanks again.

Advertisers