Review Small, light, reliable, low resistance FRONT/REAR hub

Carbon.

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 24, 2020
Hello,

I would like to convert second bike to an e-bike. I am looking for a small, light, with lowest resistance front or rear hub.
Once I had and tested front Xiongda 1,5 kg but high resistance and then AKM Q100 2,1 kg which was quite good (low resistance - freewheel 25-30 sec) but it could be lighter.
In the meantime I noticed Bafang H600 (rear, 2kg, 30Nm), but I have no experience with it. The problem with Bafang is poor sales network. I can't find any place where it is selling.

What else you can recommend? My priorities are:
- low rolling resistance,
-low weight.

It would be for a light person, so 200-250W is enough.
What you can recommend more?
If you know a good store, also please share it :).

Attachments

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
G370 14:6 ratio or AKM 75sx I think is about 14:2 ratio is lighter at 1.44kg.

Last edited:

Carbon.

Nov 24, 2020
Thank you.

Is there anyone who can check their free-wheeling time and e.g. record a movie?

It can be also other model of hub.

I measure free-wheeling time with raised wheel after max it's acceleration.

Results were between 10-25 sec usually. It is also am important factor by using electric kit particularly when you want/have to go without power .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The G370 runs perfectly unpowered so has very very low drag or I should say treacle resistance effect which is not noticeable at all, most larger hubs with 4 or 5:1 gearing have this so called treacle resistance due to the heavy central mass of the hub weight. The G370 is very small and light added to that the very low 14:6 gearing and one has a very nice neat small package of a hub, I can't say how it will tackle inclines but on the flat weighted down by an approx. 13.5st rider and two full panniers of shopping my bike rides a treat whether powered or not.

Carl18650

Mar 10, 2024
What have you finally decided? After reading this post and recognizing a similar need for a road bike, I purchased the AKM 75SX with a 14.6 ratio, hoping for good freewheeling performance. However, when testing it by hand (it's not yet mounted on a wheel rim), I noticed that while the freewheel side does roll easily, it doesn't maintain momentum at all and stops immediately. I asked the seller, and they confirmed that it's normal for the motor to have some resistance.

Hoping this isn't like the xiongda motor,maybe somebody can confirm its results with this one?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What have you finally decided? After reading this post and recognizing a similar need for a road bike, I purchased the AKM 75SX with a 14.6 ratio, hoping for good freewheeling performance. However, when testing it by hand (it's not yet mounted on a wheel rim), I noticed that while the freewheel side does roll easily, it doesn't maintain momentum at all and stops immediately. I asked the seller, and they confirmed that it's normal for the motor to have some resistance.

Hoping this isn't like the xiongda motor,maybe somebody can confirm its results with this one?
If it's fairly free just as a motor, it'll be super when you finish the wheel and ride it. Normally, you can hardly turn a motor until it's built into the wheel.

Reactions: Carl18650

Carl18650

Mar 10, 2024
Thanks, I guess I was having too great expectations seeing the mahle20 which of course cost a lot lot more, I will report back when I ride the akm 75sx .

This shows how the mahle x20 have a few rotations when pushing it by hand without wheel at minute 13:00
Mahlex20 video

Last edited:

Advertisers