So this is what 35mph looks like on an ebike -wow!!

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi,

Please type in for me or set up link;

First ride Phoenix II Electric Bike [2000 TOP SPEED].

Quality video, now when he starts off just look at the trees behind him and the motor sounds so sweet when he opens up the throttle.

At the beginning of the video I thought that is was Sackos ex bike that he had sold recently.
I've also notice in quite a few videos that Americans don't mind wearing a full face helmet, whilst we are the total opposite, scared of looking silly:eek: including me:)

Please be honest does that video seem like a lot of fun?

MS. HAVE A NICE WET DAY XX

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
[video=youtube;ctshOtleLcw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctshOtleLcw[/video]

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I was wondering why he did not use any footage from the helmet cam, which would have given a better sense of forward speed?

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I was wondering why he did not use any footage from the helmet cam, which would have given a better sense of forward speed?
Jazper53 I do hear you loud and clearly because I was wondering also about the helmet cam. The thing is Jazper ever since we have always visually determined the sense of speed in forward motion. That is why it seems faster because we are viewing the ride from a different spectrum which feels or seems different. I'm not sure that if you would agree with me.

MS

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Great vid. There's no denying those speeds are fun - and it feels extremely free and liberating (if slightly naughty !) and the force of the wind is very significant. On anything but a hot Summer day it's probably going to be freezing. He makes some good honest points too about how he feels riding it - like wanting mirrors and cars not expecting you to be going at >30mph.

It's amazing how your perception of speed differs when you're on a bike vs say in a car. You can barely feel the difference between 30 & 40mph in a car and everything slower around you looks really slow. It can feel like a crawl. But break 30mph on a bike and it starts feeling exhilarating. Break 40mph and it's a serious rush - everything to the sides is just a blur. Reach nearly 50mph and your mind starts churning over whether you checked your brake pads are in good nick, whether you paid up your life insurance, hoping to **** you don't hit any bumps, potholes, cracked up road etc. and realizing you really should be wearing a proper helmet ! It goes from fast to seriously fast to the extent your danger awareness is on red alert .... and turning round to check behind whilst riding at that speed is not ideal at all.

Having a car cross a solid white line to overtake you (with about 1.5m of clearance), then pull back in front of you to avoid an oncoming car and brake hard when you're doing 45mph on a bike just short of a 40mph zone is enough to make caution kick back in (in earnest). This happened to me twice riding down steep hills on the Trek over the Summer. I basically realized the trouble is car drivers are often extremely impatient types whose only priority is to get ahead of you as soon as they possibly can, even when you're cycling at or over the speed limit. I can imagine you'd find the same riding on the flat under throttle. They have no empathy whatsoever with the factors you're dealing with on a bike. Roadie racers basically deal with this by riding in packs and this helps to some extent. On an e-Bike you're on your own so you have to be really careful imho.

On anything but clear open roads with long distance forward visibility this tendency of car drivers is a recipe for potential big trouble at speed. My downhill sprints (supposed to be my rewards for working hard up hills) got scuppered to crawls behind braking cars or farm vehicles far more often than I got to enjoy the rush of a fast ride. So when the conditions allowed to let it all go I took full advantage :eek:.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Great vid. There's no denying those speeds are fun - and it feels extremely free and liberating (if slightly naughty !) and the force of the wind is very significant. On anything but a hot Summer day it's probably going to be freezing. He makes some good honest points too about how he feels riding it - like wanting mirrors and cars not expecting you to be going at >30mph.

It's amazing how your perception of speed differs when you're on a bike vs say in a car. You can barely feel the difference between 30 & 40mph in a car and everything slower around you looks really slow. It can feel like a crawl. But break 30mph on a bike and it starts feeling exhilarating. Break 40mph and it's a serious rush - everything to the sides is just a blur. Reach nearly 50mph and your mind starts churning over whether you checked your brake pads are in good nick, whether you paid up your life insurance, hoping to **** you don't hit any bumps, potholes, cracked up road etc. and realizing you really should be wearing a proper helmet ! It goes from fast to seriously fast to the extent your danger awareness is on red alert .... and turning round to check behind whilst riding at that speed is not ideal at all.

Having a car cross a solid white line to overtake you (with about 1.5m of clearance), then pull back in front of you to avoid an oncoming car and brake hard when you're doing 45mph on a bike just short of a 40mph zone is enough to make caution kick back in (in earnest). This happened to me twice riding down steep hills on the Trek over the Summer. I basically realized the trouble is car drivers are often extremely impatient types whose only priority is to get ahead of you as soon as they possibly can, even when you're cycling at or over the speed limit. I can imagine you'd find the same riding on the flat under throttle. They have no empathy whatsoever with the factors you're dealing with on a bike. Roadie racers basically deal with this by riding in packs and this helps to some extent. On an e-Bike you're on your own so you have to be really careful imho.

On anything but clear open roads with long distance forward visibility this tendency of car drivers is a recipe for potential big trouble at speed. My downhill sprints (supposed to be my rewards for working hard up hills) got scuppered to crawls behind braking cars or farm vehicles far more often than I got to enjoy the rush of a fast ride. So when the conditions allowed to let it all go I took full advantage :eek:.
Alex, you made me laugh when you sneaked in those words " if being naughty " and you are totally spot on about when getting up to a certain overwhelming speed you suddenly wonder to yourself if you had brought along enough wet wipes in your back pack or pannier bag. Sorry Alex you had forgotten to mention that.

MS.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ it's always good to have a proper clearout before a ride !

Advertisers