Solid tyres?

emiles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2017
London
Hi all, I'm hoping this is in the right forum section?

Does anyone use solid tyres (Tannus?) to prevent the dreaded P word? Any opinions on them, or opinions why not to use them, or any good alternative to (help) prevent punctures?

Thanks!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi all, I'm hoping this is in the right forum section?

Does anyone use solid tyres (Tannus?) to prevent the dreaded P word? Any opinions on them, or opinions why not to use them, or any good alternative to (help) prevent punctures?

Thanks!
Haven't used them, but like you, was interested in the idea many years ago.

After plenty of research, I decided against it, as air in tyres performs an important role in keeping the tyre in contact with the road. Also, it provides comfort for the rider and helps prevent shock from damaging key components.

Take a look at Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, coupled with Slime inner tubes, if you want a highly puncture resistant solution.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: D8ve

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Haven't used them, but like you, was interested in the idea many years ago.

After plenty of research, I decided against it, as air in tyres performs an important role in keeping the tyre in contact with the road. Also, it provides comfort for the rider and helps prevent shock from damaging key components.

Take a look at Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, coupled with Slime inner tubes, if you want a highly puncture resistant solution.
..... I got solid tubes for a Viscount touring bike some 30 + years ago , still on and still occasionally used , obviously no punctures , but the bike jars as there is less suspension.

HypnoToad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2012
I use tubeless tyres on my MTB, it works well but you need to keep fluid in them.

I would never use solid tyres on a bike, unless you'd like it to feel like something from the 17th century! :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I use tubeless tyres on my MTB, it works well but you need to keep fluid in them.

I would never use solid tyres on a bike, unless you'd like it to feel like something from the 17th century! :D
... It's not quite that bad. It is about 30 years ago when i had these solid tubes in my hands, but I recall that there was some give in them.. it would have been a cellular foam structure, slightly deformable and then recover. The bike on which they are fitted is still in use, .. intermittent summer use, and I will need to replace the tyres soon. So 30 years without a puncture is that a record

Advertisers