Solution for chain suck, Bosch performance line

Aloppes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2015
Hi.
Quite recently purchased a Cube bike fitted with the bosch performance line motor.
Lately been suffering from massive chain suck, especially during wet condition.
dealer solution was to turn the from sprocket, but did not help.
I´ve read from forum that chain suck on bosch is a well known problem, most likely due to the small front sprocket. Would it help with a 20T sprocket? more teeths to absorb the force...
Was thinking on a CONNEX E-BIKE SPROCKET, 20T. Maybe this ring is designed differently reducing chain suck.... what do I know...

If anyone have solved this problem, please share!

Chainsuck sucks!

Magnus
Norway

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got a 19t one you can buy brand new ;) prob be cheaper postage wise to get 1 ur end tho ;)

max is a 22t but will make bike not good on hills ect ;(

Last edited:

Aloppes

Sep 10, 2015
i got a 19t one you can buy brand new ;) prob be cheaper postage wise to get 1 ur end tho ;)

max is a 22t but will make bike not good on hills ect ;(
Thx for the offer, but I have already ordered 20T and can´t wait to test.
Also noticed that the bike was speced with a standard KMC chain X9-73. As I commute it all about turbo mode and uphill there must be quite strain on the chain. One can buy stronger e bike chains 3x the price....

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh id get a new chain every 500 miles and no point getting 1 3x the cost. 1 for 20 quid will do as well.

i have a haibike and it does not happen on my bike. tho eds bike eats chains and sprockets on his ktm.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Rocknroll gold
I can't seem to glean much info about it on the net, but I'm thinking it's quite an oily lube. It actually looks like fox's p**s in a bottle lol.
I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if cleaning that stuff off your chain and changing to a dry chain lube might help.

Obviously with a dry lube, you would have to apply it more often, especially riding in wet conditions.

I use Finish Line dry lube and my chain runs really smoothly and hasn't stretched in 1300 miles. Picks up very little crud either.
Finish Line Dry Lube.jpg

Last edited:

Aloppes

Sep 10, 2015
That is just down to the very acidic, and very abrasive powder fine sandy soil conditions that I have here. It would happen whatever the bike. When dry, the residue is like talcum powder.

Aloppes a rear mech (derailleur) with a clutch will sort it out.

Could you recommend one for me? How does this clutch works. do i have to change the entire gear changer back there? Got 9 speed.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi.
Quite recently purchased a Cube bike fitted with the bosch performance line motor.
I´ve read from forum that chain suck on bosch is a well known problem, most likely due to the small front sprocket. Would it help with a 20T sprocket? more teeths to absorb the force...
Was thinking on a CONNEX E-BIKE SPROCKET, 20T. Maybe this ring is designed differently reducing chain suck.... what do I know...

Chainsuck sucks!

Magnus
Norway
I have on of these on my Haibike sduro allmtn rc with the Yamaha motor. Absolutely no chain such. Don't know if it will work with Bosch though. evo.bionicon.com/en/c-guide-eco/

Aloppes

Sep 10, 2015
I can't seem to glean much info about it on the net, but I'm thinking it's quite an oily lube. It actually looks like fox's p**s in a bottle lol.
I'm no expert, but I'm wondering if cleaning that stuff off your chain and changing to a dry chain lube might help.

Obviously with a dry lube, you would have to apply it more often, especially riding in wet conditions.

I use Finish Line dry lube and my chain runs really smoothly and hasn't stretched in 1300 miles. Picks up very little crud either.
View attachment 12403
Thx for the tip. I will buy a dry one.
Could you recommend one for me? How does this clutch works. do i have to change the entire gear changer back there? Got 9 speed.

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
Hi.

Chainsuck sucks!

Magnus
Norway
Off topic... but I'll be visiting your fine country very soon.

My wife and I will be cycling from Finse to Flam, although that will be on normal bikes and not pedelecs! :(

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The clutch basically prevents the jokey wheel cage from being pulled forward. It's brilliant at helping to prevent a chain from bouncing and jumping the front sprocket on any bike over rough terrain, it is supposed to make gear selection smoother, and it has the bonus that it will 'almost' eliminate chain suck. I say almost, as it works 99% of the time.

Deciding which rear derailleur to choose, is something probably best discussed with your supplying dealer. I really rate the XT range above, but wouldn't know which cage length that you require.

Last edited:

Aloppes

Sep 10, 2015
Off topic... but I'll be visiting your fine country very soon.

My wife and I will be cycling from Finse to Flam, although that will be on normal bikes and not pedelecs! :(
I AM SURE YOU WILL HAVE A NICE TRIP. FINGERS CROSSED FOR THE WEATHER. I LIVE FURTHER NORTH, MORE SPECIFICALLY IN TROMSOE.[emoji1]

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
I AM SURE YOU WILL HAVE A NICE TRIP. FINGERS CROSSED FOR THE WEATHER. I LIVE FURTHER NORTH, MORE SPECIFICALLY IN TROMSOE.[emoji1]
Thank you.

We're heading up towards you later in the holiday staying for a few days in Lofoten! :)

Aloppes

Sep 10, 2015
The clutch basically prevents the jokey wheel cage from being pulled forward. It's brilliant at helping to prevent a chain from bouncing and jumping the front sprocket on any bike over rough terrain, it is supposed to make gear selection smoother, and it has the bonus that it will 'almost' eliminate chain suck. I say almost, as it works 99% of the time.

It's something probably best discussed with your supplying dealer.
Great I will. And i have noticed that the derailleur is dancing a lot as it if it is beeing pulled some centimeters forward before hitting back. Obviously the reason must be that the chain hang in the front sprocket.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009

Deciding which rear derailleur to choose, is something probably best discussed with your supplying dealer. I really rate the XT range above, but wouldn't know which cage length that you require.

I got one of these last year from (the dreaded :) ) Martin - works well. Surprising something similar wasn't developed years ago.

Aloppes

Sep 10, 2015
I got one of these last year from (the dreaded :) ) Martin - works well. Surprising something similar wasn't developed years ago.
Only catch they only come from 10 speed, but there are workarounds.