Someone make this snow go away!!

priscilla

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 12, 2009
Much as I normally love some snow I'm now in a state of agitation and frustration! My new Wisper 905se Sport S arrived here in Scotland in time for Christmas - my poor husband braved a blizzard to go to collect it a couple of days before Christmas day, and it did do a short "grand entrance" from garage to living room on Christmas day, but since then it has sat sadly unused, due to many inches of snow around my house and on nearby roads.

I've fitted it up with a mirror, read the manual multiple times, played with my new helmet (a Yakkay - very nice!) but I'm back to thumb twiddling and looking out of the window muttering unpleasant things..........and the forecast is for more snow :(

As a novice rider I don't want to scare the beezeezus out of myself by risking a snowy ride but I think there is is a limit to the fun I can have riding up and down the hall!

priscilla

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I use mine for exercise and getting around and weather is just so awful it is very frustrating.....I don't know the long term forecast, but it can't last for much longer can it?:confused:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
According to the weather forecast it's going to last a while yet.

Priscilla, don't give in to temptation. Despite vowing not to venture out in anything less than 6C I foolishy gave in this morning at -2C. I made it to work ok only to fall off in spectacular fashion on the only salted and gravelled part of my journey - the car park. One second I was vertical the next I was sprawled out on the ground. Naturally my 1st thought was for the bike which fortunately only suffered cosmetic damage. The next was wondering if security had caught the incident on camera and if I could get a copy. The one virtue of the cold is that it numbs you up nicely - possibly affects brain function as well. Biological damage was only bought to my attention some 30 minutes later when I warmed up. Nothing serious.

Wait till it warms up. If you prang your nice new Wisper you'll be gutted.

Last edited:

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Quite agree with Barnowl. Even if the snow has cleared up, do wait until the ice has gone too.

I bought my bike in October - probably not the best time having now cycled through torrential rain, floods & very muddy conditions. I was handling all this perfectly well but then I nearly fell off on ice on one day a few weeks before Christmas which means I'm now far more cautious. I've hung up my cycle clips for the week but it is frustrating. Caught the train home today which took 2 hours instead of the expected hour. By bike it's 30 minutes!

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
My 16"-wheeled Brompton with thin tyres has remained folded in the house for a while now...I blame icy roads and the need to use the car more than usual...but I'm dying to burn the mince pies calories ! :(

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
i have very frustrated legs :( maybe i could get some chains for my tires :)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Can`t remember when I`ve been more frustrated. I even did a recy today, took the car out to have a look around the lanes to see if I could manage a short trip but to no availe:mad:

Had a bit of luck last week, the roads for three miles either side of our village were wet but clear so I did an up and down ride in and out of the village:D People waved as I went passed a few times (thinking I`d gone off my trolley) but I got my exercise and had a nice warm nap in front of the fire after lunch with a smile on my face:D

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I went out on the Peugeot yesterday (wouldn't risk the Alien its too new!) and had some fun back wheel moments under power. The biggest problem was the cold its self so only managed 9 miles round trip to the local town and back....it was enough!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
It was my first day back at work yesterday after the break and I took my EBrompton to work but folded up in the boot of the car :p

I then went and got it out at lunch time to show my work colleagues who have been following my progress. A couple of them had a ride on it and then as it was sunny, I went for a short spin for about 15mins. Despite being the middle of the day it was VERY cold and I was pleased I had decided to bring my car.

Perhaps this makes me a fair weather cyclist.

Regards

Jerry

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
What snow, I haven't seen any in ages. :confused: I'm quite glad I don't live in Scotland at the moment but if I did then a pair of Nokian snow tyres would come in handy, a bit more extreme and capable than Schwalbe's offerings.

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Likewise I have had my new Cytronex since just before Xmas managed a few trips on it enough to really get to like it then it snowed:mad: . I reduced to popping out to the garage and giving her a fond look. The main roads are clear but gritted and I'm not getting the bike near that salt:eek: and we live up a 1 mile long private road thats covered with compacted snow and ice so no cycling for a wee while yet:mad:

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I have braved all weathers over the last six years on my Pro Connect even a blizzard, but things are too bad at the moment here in the North East so I am using the car. It isn't worth taking risks on ice.
Last year I came off when I went through a mud / water mess and fractured my wrist and it still isn't working properly 5 months later so be patient and wait for the snow and ice to go away.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Plenty of snow here in the Midlands this morning and more expected.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I've taken the train so far this week and will do till it warms up a tiny bit. -5 yesterday and -3 today and set to get colder toward the weekend. I don't want to chance the ice but the hardest thing to put up with is that thing that infuses your fingers and toes about 1/3 of the way into the journey, what's it called now...... ah yes! AGONY! Even with thermal gloves and socks and boots, the pain, so intense. When it's in the minus figures I just lose all interest in riding in to work.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Is no-one else commuting on their bikes? I have no other way of getting in to work. It's bike or walk and it's a heck of a lot safer on my bike with studded tyres than it is walking.

The other morning it was -5C and I had to stop on route to pick up a girl who had slipped over and then stop again further on to push a car up a hill.

As far as I'm concerned the bike is the safest option at the moment!

I have to concede though that standard gloves, even multiple layers including the very good SealSkinz Mountain Bike Gloves, are just not up to the job, so I've been forced to invest in some heated gloves.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
I've managed to get out a few times, I don't really mind the snow it's the ice I struggle with! Particularly bad on the cycle paths that stray from the side of the road and thus don't get any treatment. I came a right cropper last year, which has made me wary

I do find though that when I can't get out to ride I end up tinkering in the garage, replacing tyres, mudguards, oiling things, etc that don't really need doing :D

Ride Safe all

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
See what happens...You start talking about it and all Hell breaks loose:) AND they are running out of grit as well now.

some moronic liberal MP just on LBC radio, pontificating about his train journey in Sweden and how organised they where, and what a shambles we are here...........Well would he like to pay the Swedish level of taxes and live in 6 foot of snow for 8 months of the year I wonder.

They all have snow studded tyres for their vehicles and I guess we would for our bikes as well, either that or drink yourself to death over the Loooong winter. Of course they can deal with it, and they have a great life. I have been up there in the camper a few times -20 and it is wonderful... 6 foot of snow in March lol Just watch out for the Moose! and the bears......watching about 8 bears feeding on a whole cow is a sight I will never forget.

Last edited:

jkirkebo

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2009
Is no-one else commuting on their bikes? I have no other way of getting in to work. It's bike or walk and it's a heck of a lot safer on my bike with studded tyres than it is walking.

The other morning it was -5C and I had to stop on route to pick up a girl who had slipped over and then stop again further on to push a car up a hill.

As far as I'm concerned the bike is the safest option at the moment!

I have to concede though that standard gloves, even multiple layers including the very good SealSkinz Mountain Bike Gloves, are just not up to the job, so I've been forced to invest in some heated gloves.
I commute 10 miles (round trip) to the train station by bike every day. The walk would take forever and the bus doesn't run at 5.30 am.

Today it was -16 degrees, forecast tomorrow is -22 degrees. I haven't been freezing yet, it's all about proper clothing.

Forget gloves, alpine mittens work well now. I use these:
Hestra Heli Mitt from Backcountry.com

Also thermal underwear is a must, likewise proper footwear. And preferably the jacket or thermal suit should have a proper hood as that keeps the cold wind away from the face. I use a down jacket w/hood in these temeratures.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hmm,

Must admit I never thought of myself as a 'fair weather cyclist' in the past but I'm not risking our roads in this. Only a bit of snow, but most of our narrow lanes are very steep, virtually none are gritted and most are covered in sheet ice :eek: !
Whilst I admit you can fit ice tyres etc., you still have to 'mix it' on the roads with all sorts of numpties, sliding cars, vans' buses' trucks, even lorries all over the road. No thanks, I've no wish to be flattened by some 18 wheeler dancing on ice......

Phil