Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Last edited:
Reactions: M. Tartiflette

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Does anybody know if this will work to take as a back up for a Bosch magnet?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OYFENU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
This is a apparently a "spoke magnet" that certain types of bike computers need to calculate speed and distance covered.
I do not know if they need to be a north or a south pole facing the frame sensor, sadly, it never ever crossed my mind to check.
But with a small third magnet, it would be easy to check the polarity of the original Bosch part and the possible replacement, as it will either repel or attract. Naturally check using the same side of the third magnet!
But its quite possible that it doesn't matter about the polarity either way....easy to find out, just try it!!
Furthermore, if it does matter, its probably easy to pop the magnet out (mark first!) and glue it back on the clamp, reversed!
Its cheap enough to buy and see if it does the job you need it for!!!
I always loctited the screws when I had one (present e-bike uses the Hall effect sensors apparently), and never lost one!
regards
Andy

Reactions: M. Tartiflette

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
But with a small third magnet, it would be easy to check the polarity of the original Bosch part and the possible replacement, as it will either repel or attract. Naturally check using the same side of the third magnet!
No need for a third magnet. If the two magnets are oriented in the same polar direction, their active faces will repel each other.

Last edited: