Sparticle motor

mygrumpy001

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2015
Hi. Have a Sparticle motor on my Brompton bike it is getting quite a lot of noise from the motor anybody know what the problem is. was going to fit a new motor but the Sparticle motor has
only 3 pins on the motor wire the new motor has 9 pins will the controller still work with the new motor.thank you for any help John

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Noise can be either bearings need replacing , lack of lubrication inside or even moisture if it has got in and oxidised surfaces, will require hub opening to carry out maintenance. Bearings usually simple to replace and source off ebay or a bearing shop, bearings will have id mark on them. Grease you can you a graphite colour moly.

Problem with most new or later model hubs is they use moulded julet connectors so marrying them up can't be done as they will not mate. You would have to buy a new sensored controller as well for, the combo would run quieter then the non sensored one.
The hub will have a side plate fixing or it will be a screw affair but should be able to be opened.

mygrumpy001

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2015
Noise can be either bearings need replacing , lack of lubrication inside or even moisture if it has got in and oxidised surfaces, will require hub opening to carry out maintenance. Bearings usually simple to replace and source off ebay or a bearing shop, bearings will have id mark on them. Grease you can you a graphite colour moly.

Problem with most new or later model hubs is they use moulded julet connectors so marrying them up can't be done as they will not mate. You would have to buy a new sensored controller as well for, the combo would run quieter then the non sensored one.
The hub will have a side plate fixing or it will be a screw affair but should be able to be opened.
Neath Thanks for replying There are only 3 screws on the side the cable comes out.do you know where i could get it done or where i can buy a new motor.I live in Sutton Surrey. John

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Some controllers do not need the hall effect sensors, I am told. They only need the 3 wires (phases) to the motor.
IMHO, you probably don't need to connect the hall effect sensors from the motor, just the 3 phases. The other wires can be taped up out of the way, maybe in a small plastic bag, but protected from UV light!!
Basically, there are three types of motor, 3 phase NO hall effect sensors, 3 phases AND hall effect sensors, brushed DC motors, of which I do not know if they also use hall effect sensors or not!
I am going to ignore the brushed motors, as these would have two main wires, probably red and black!
The electrical difference between a 3 phase ( 3 wire) motor with hall effect and without is basically nothing, as ONLY the bike electronics will or will not NEED the hall effect sensors, the motor does not care either way!!
The 3 main fields are there and for the same wattage and voltage motor, will probably be just about identical! Any differences will be physical, a smaller or lager wire diameter.
If I understood you correctly, your original motor has only 3 wires. So simply ignore the hall effect wires. But do not cut them off as if you ever need a new controller in the future, they may be required....
IMO I think that provided you picked the right voltage and watts, one the same as your defective motor, it will work on your bike....
Do remember, if the wheel goes in the wrong direction at first, do not despair, its simple, you SWAP ONLY 2 WIRES WITH EACH OTHER of the 3.
Leave one connected where it is!! That way you will reverse the direction of the motor.
I still do not consider myself an expert on e-bike motors, as both my e-bikes had the 3 phase motors and the H.E. sensors, but I have actually worked with such 3 phase motors since 1986 on large computer printers, also with hall effect sensors.
During my time in the RN, I worked on normal 3 phase motors and had a full training as well as many years experience. Basically they are the same as e-bike motors!!! But usually much larger!!
I hope this helps you further.
regards
Andy

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Why not take it to the electric transport shop to fix? London, Oxford, Bristol or Cambridge. Wherever you fancy a day out. I’ve found Chris at Bristol pretty helpful over the years.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Neath Thanks for replying There are only 3 screws on the side the cable comes out.do you know where i could get it done or where i can buy a new motor.I live in Sutton Surrey. John
Show us a pic or two.
I suspect the 3 screws you talk of hold the clutch in place and most likely your hub actually screws together. Possible if you could get it to me 1.5 miles south of Gatwick I can see if I can work some magic on it or you couls speak to the guys at Electric transport shop who deal with Sparticle's.

mygrumpy001

Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2015
Show us a pic or two.
I suspect the 3 screws you talk of hold the clutch in place and most likely your hub actually screws together. Possible if you could get it to me 1.5 miles south of Gatwick I can see if I can work some magic on it or you couls speak to the guys at Electric transport shop who deal with Sparticle's.
Hi Nealh Can i bring the Sparticle motor to you it`s not in the rim. If you send me your address and the best time to come to you.John

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can I see a pic of the hub John from three plains ?

Yes by all means you can drop the hub off for me to see If I an open it and have a look inside, I will PM you in conversatons.

Sometimes motor noise can be electrical and this can resonate from the controller.

If you slowly rotate the hub axle can you feel /here any mechanical breakdown such as a grating/uneven bearing ?