spd/flat pedals

LSR

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2020
Wigan
Having put my name down for the Woosh Gran Camino I'm now sat here obsessing with all things ebike waiting for them to come in.

I've always ridden with clipless pedals on and off road and like them immensely however this next part of my cycling life is going to be a lot more sedate than it used to be.
I'm thinking about hybrid pedals with one side spd and one side platform.

Do these thing work or are they just a poor compromise on both systems ? I have a few sets of spd's I could use but don't really want to lose the nip to the shops or the pub capability of flats. There's always the option to change pedals for different outings I know and it doesn't take long but if I could get away without that it'd be better.

Also I assume they hang cage down spd up, is that the case ?

ta

Les

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0046_02.JPG

depends how wide you feet are but i can use both sides with no problems.

Reactions: LSR

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Unlike SPD, the Crank Bros. have a respectable amount of float, give or take a few degrees depending on which way you mount the cleat. Crank Bros. pedals do not have spring tension preload adjustments, so the feel is pretty consistent from pedal to pedal.

i can pretty much slam my foot on the peddle and lock in and twist to release as what most dh bike riders use and spd for road imo.

the main reason i use them is to help lift the bike of the floor to hop and change lines but id say less than 5ppl on here use clip less.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
I've always ridden with clipless pedals on and off road and like them immensely however this next part of my cycling life is going to be a lot more sedate than it used to be.
I'm thinking about hybrid pedals with one side spd and one side platform.

Do these thing work or are they just a poor compromise on both systems ?
I used the spd/platform combo pedals for many years touring on traditional steel tourer, ands loved them. So when I recently got an ebike I changed the (to my mind, horrible) original pedals for shimano m324 combo pedals. They work brilliantly. V easy to unclip in emergencies; adjustable tension. Flat side works great for casual riding eg in sandals (!). I'm not sure if the normal position is to hang with the slipless side down, probably is, but somehow when I get on the bike the clipless side always seems to be face up.

I particularly like the feeling of security I get when starting off with my foot clipped in.

So I'd say it isn't that you are getting a hybrid that is good for neither, I'd say you are getting the benefits of both. But YMMV!

Cheers, John
PS don't bank on life being more sedate just because you've got an ebike <bg>

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For my bikes with SPD's I use the narrow plastic/ABS platform for normal shoes if I don't use my SPD shoes, these ones below are narrow and not cumbersome and incorporate reflectors.
Like buttered toast the weight always causes them to be upside down.