Spec me a 36v 250w 26" front wheel please

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
My motor was making a noise intermittently yesterday and became a full on faulty washing machine motor today and decided to not work at all. I've repaired to many motors to know this is FUBAR'd so I'm looking for a new one.
I've had Cyclotricity wheels in the past (this is 5 years old) but wondered if there something just as good but cheaper than £130?
It must also have the same fitting as the Cyclotricity -

Thanks for any input.

D

Deleted member 4366

Motors can make really bad grinding noises and feel like all the gears are broken when there's nothing wrong with them. All it takes is a faulty hall sensor connection, so be careful. You might buy a new motor and find that it's a connector or controller fault.

With the motor disconnected, spin it forward. It should spin freely if it's a geared motor. spin it backwards. It should do about one turn and be quiet. If it's a DD motor, it should spin about one or two turns in each direction.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Thanks for that, funny thing is that around two weeks ago my throttle stopped working and I have a virtually identical second bike and that throttle didn't work. There have been other little things happening where I thought the controller could be breaking down. I will try your test and put the other controller on.

Thanks

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Just spent some time fixing my bike and the wheel did exactly as you said it would.
Changed the controller and there was no difference so eventually changed the main lead that the computer and throttle go into and it worked :)
£15 fix and to think because I know about washing machine motors I was going to buy a wheel :)

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I wonder how many people get a new motor to replace their grinding one, only to find that it's the same?

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
It's all gone wrong again.
On Monday I heard a noise but by yesterday it had all failed again making horrible noises and eventually switching off :(
The wheel still spins as though there's nothing wrong with it!

D

Deleted member 4366

Check that all motor connections are tight, that the motor connector goes all the way to the line, and check that the motor cable isn't damaged where it comes out of the axle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the motor cable a continuity wire check using a meter with beep should pin point where the failure may be, if the cable is at fault. Inside the gnd & 5v use a common feed and spur off in the bulbous part of the connector as do some of the other wires.

aardvark5

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 25, 2014
ST3 Blurton
Hopefully it might have been a dirty/faulty/not connected motor cable because the bike seems to be working OK now. I'll give it a bigger run over the weekend to make sure.

Thanks

Advertisers