Speed Pedelecs registration BS or Believable

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Can anyone prove what James at Justebikes states: i.e. that it is possible to legally ride speed pedelecs and register with DVLA. In addition can you get insurance which would be required legally. Based on other previous posts I do not believe a word. Although it would be great if true.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks Wander. I am sceptical because I know others who have tried it plus I know what the DVLA are like.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Exactly it is not as simple as Justebikes suggests. I am aware of the above example but James was suggesting you could register a speed pedelec without modifications just a certificate of confirmation, might be fine in Germany or Netherlands but not here, well not yet anyway. Rumours are a similar law may be passed in 2015 but I will not hold my breath.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Exactly it is not as simple as Justebikes suggests. I am aware of the above example but James was suggesting you could register a speed pedelec without modifications just a certificate of confirmation, might be fine in Germany or Netherlands but not here, well not yet anyway. Rumours are a similar law may be passed in 2015 but I will not hold my breath.
This method is permissible anywhere in the EU, but it's subject to each country passing the necessary regulations to permit the use. Those local regulations concern such things as insurance and the necessary registration, plus any other safety factor thought necessary such as helmet use, facility restrictions etc. Until a national government has done so, S class bikes remain motor vehicles.

AFAIK, no EU country outside Germany has done so.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks Flecc did not realise Netherlands had not passed relevant laws. I would love if it was like Germany. However people need to know the current facts. Lets hope Father Christmas brings us a law change in his stocking.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
If it is this easy why doesn't James register them before sale, I am sure that he would have a long queue of buyers knocking at his door.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Flecc did not realise Netherlands had not passed relevant laws. I would love if it was like Germany. However people need to know the current facts. Lets hope Father Christmas brings us a law change in his stocking.
I don't know the exact position in The Netherlands yet, but I've been informed that the changes in their law do not amount to the German S class, rather just an easement of some sort for the low powered moped class rather than e-bikes, allowing them more access to cycling facilities. That class is restricted to the same 25 kph, but apparently the law is already being abused by some riding much faster on illegal machines.

I can't see the S class fitting well with cycling habits there, large numbers don't even use the full 15 mph at present, being content to amble along at more leisurely speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
But the first line of V55/4 is for registering a motor vehicle,even if you can register an S class pedelec as a motor vehicle who would want to....as far as I know all of my customers want to stay as bicycles,so they can ride on cycle tracks,bridle ways etc....who would want to be restricted to the public highway?
James,I read through V55/4,the type approval overcomes only one part of that form,how do you make it road legal as far as insurance and now the DVLA are recording all details as a database against a registration plate,they would surely ask for your registration number when the vehicle is to be taxed,I realise the tax charge may be free but it still needs to be registered as paying tax.
Has anybody successfully registered such a bike?
If it were possible I am sure 50 cycles would be advertising how easy is the mechanism.
For me,I'll stick to selling bicycles.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I was a bit dissappointed that this thread died. If there is a legal means of registering an S class bike as a bicycle then I would welcome it.
But it seemed that when we got down to the nitty-gritty of the registration process,the thread suddenly went quiet.
Due to lack of further input from the original confident start,I must assume that the OP was mistaken.
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ther is no legal way an S class e-bike as supplied can be registered Dave, that is an absolute at the present

There is no UK type approval for these so the only option is to take one through single vehicle approval by the Vehicle Inspectorate. They can only approve to the current permissible classes, the one in this case being the P1 moped class, restricted to 30 mph.

No S class e-bike meets the requirements for that as supplied, they fall far short on various aspects of lighting and other features.