Speed Re-strictor removal

Webby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2019
Thanks for accepting me to the site. I have tried to research this without much success and unable to find a thread on here that directly helps. I have an NCM Moscow 48v bike and trying to find out if it is possible to take away the speed restriction, either by adjustment to setup or the purchase of a device that I can fit. It has a Bafang 48v motor if that helps at all? Hopefully one of you kind people can popint me in the right direction.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
If the controller is programmable, and you have got the information on how to do it, then programming a smaller wheel size would probably be an easy option to go.....
But do not forget that some bikes, the higher road speed brings with it an unacceptably high speed of rotation of the pedals and cranks, and certain parts might need to be replaced to make it more acceptable.
Furthermore, if you are ever say involved in an accident, or even just a "misunderstanding" with another road user, who has noticed or believes that you may have broken the speed restrictions on unregistered electric bike, the police will most probably examine your bike in more detail.....
I know that the percentages are "for" you, and its most unlikely, but that has to be your own personal choice.
Earlier on this year, on my totally legal bike (except for the hand grip throttle), I was able to exceed 40 KMH for a short time on a steep downhill forest stretch, as I wanted to find out just how fast my Weimaraner could run (well over 40KMH by the way!), IT WAS TOTALLY TERRIFYING!
I tend to think that normal bike attire and a normal bike helmet, all would be completely useless if I came off at that speed! So really motorbike attire would be a good choice.
I am personally therefore quite happy with the legal limit and the controller programming restriction of 25KMH!
regards
Andy

Reactions: artspeck and Webby

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
You have to remember also the speed that can be obtained from any motor is dependent on amongst other things, the motor windings inside the hub. Some e-bike motors are naturally faster than others through the way they are designed.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
If its a Bafang motor then the controller on the handlebar is likely to be Bafang as well. Find the model number on it and google for an on-line manual, that should tell you how to set/adjust the max speed.

That said, any cycle other then a dedicated race type is frightening at speed. There just not designed for it. My opinion for what its worth is to slow down, enjoy the scenery and smile when a hill appears.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
Leon cycles sell a "tuning display" to remove the restriction:

I've also got an NCM Moscow and had seen videos on youtube removing the restriction, but think they either have an older model of the Moscow or have the tuning display.

On my bike you can access the secret menu by:
8. pressing and holding + & - until prompted to enter the secret code.
0. Entering the secret code.
1. Press Set
8. Then changing the available settings.

On my bike that was selecting between mph and kmh and between eco, normal, and power. Speed and wheel size seem to be locked down.

Reactions: Webby

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The display is a bigstone C600.
I've been looking into the same issue for a friend looking to buy the same Moscow e-bike (but only if the speed limitation can be removed!). There's a manual for the C600 display here (which looks like the same display)...

It says in Section 10 to:
1) Hold the SET button for 2 seconds
2) Click the SET button to select parameter SET 2
3) Use Up/Down to set maximum speed from 20 to 99kph. When set to 99kph "there is no limit for riding speed".

Does that not work? Maybe "Das-Kit" have modified the standard firmware?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
DAS KIT use to use Luishi electronics for their kits/bikes as with the Oxydrive kits.
Like KT they use to be easy to de- restrict.

Webby

Jul 22, 2019
I have emailed Leon Cycles directly asking if they can point me in the right direction to remove speed limiter (for off road use). They replied saying that is not something that they have knowledge of so assume the alternative Bigstone C600 display that they sell will not be able to do this.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bigstone lcd's can allow derestriction but only if the controllers software allows it.
Lcd's are just a means to access hidden settings in the programming.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
Interesting, the website, from Google translate, says "
With this display, you can even make your NCM and Leisger E-Bike to tune.
Depending on the e-bike model up to 35 km / h are possible. When using this article
, your vehicle is no longer considered a pedelec in Germany and therefore may not be used in the area of the StVZO"

It's out of stock anyway, but if true wonder what is special about the tuning display and would any other than the standard big stone display that comes with the bike work? Tempted to stick the big stone c600e from my 36v Oxygen on and see what happens, but I'm unsure if it would cause something to go pop.

Webby

Jul 22, 2019
Interesting, the website, from Google translate, says "
With this display, you can even make your NCM and Leisger E-Bike to tune.
Depending on the e-bike model up to 35 km / h are possible. When using this article
, your vehicle is no longer considered a pedelec in Germany and therefore may not be used in the area of the StVZO"

It's out of stock anyway, but if true wonder what is special about the tuning display and would any other than the standard big stone display that comes with the bike work? Tempted to stick the big stone c600e from my 36v Oxygen on and see what happens, but I'm unsure if it would cause something to go pop.
I have researched this as best I can and I am yet to find a solution on the NCM Moscow to remove speed limit. It seems that the more modern bikes have software to prevent this but hopefully someone can help with a solution.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
To be honest, I'm really happy with the Moscow as is. I used to ride an Oxygen S-Cross de-restricted. I've found I take the same amount of time on my 13 mile each way commute due to the increased grunt on the hills. I'm tempted not to mess with mine as it will increase battery consumption (I get home after the round trip with the display reading 46V down from 53V so should should still be plenty spare) and I don't have to charge it at work anymore. I charged the Oxygen after each way previously.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To be honest, I'm really happy with the Moscow as is. I used to ride an Oxygen S-Cross de-restricted. I've found I take the same amount of time on my 13 mile each way commute due to the increased grunt on the hills. I'm tempted not to mess with mine as it will increase battery consumption (I get home after the round trip with the display reading 46V down from 53V so should should still be plenty spare) and I don't have to charge it at work anymore. I charged the Oxygen after each way previously.
46v = 3.53v cell level voltage so you would get a few more miles.
42.9v - 3.3 cell level voltage and 41.6 = 3.2v but you wouldn't want to go much lower.
With 48v I aim for 42v as nice round figure.

Reactions: DBye

Webby

Jul 22, 2019
Well I am enjoying the bike and would certainly recommend it. It is very hilly where I live on the Isle of Wight and so far coping very well with great battery. Still having no luck finding a solution to removing speed limiter though which would be really useful if I could.

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
I've found the following thread on the German pedelec forum. Looks like they successfully derestricted the NCM Moscow +, but it needs some soldering, programming, and a micro-controller:

Reactions: KirstinS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've found the following thread on the German pedelec forum. Looks like they successfully derestricted the NCM Moscow +, but it needs some soldering, programming, and a micro-controller:
I'd change to a KT controller and LCD, which is better than a Li Shui and you can set it to whatever you want. You also get an option to fit a throttle.

Reactions: DBye

Perforator

Just Joined
Sep 4, 2019
Don't know if here is the wright place to ask but will try.
I have dak-kit c6 remote with 48V battery capacity
Usually,when battery was fully charged the voltage shown on the screen was about 53+ volt

About week ago,was replacing front wheel tube,the bicycle was upside down,seems like preset some combination on das-kit remote buttons and since then max capacity of fully charged battery is abut 46.5 volt

What can be problem and how can i fix it ?

Didn't find any solution. Pressing and holding + & - until prompted to enter the secret code - NOT working on my remote.Only SET but no voltage change setting here

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Did you measure the battery's voltage o see ifthe LCD is reading correctly. You should measure it directly onthe battery terminals plus on the connector where the LCD plugs in. Be very careful not to short any pins in that connector when you're measuring.

Advertisers