Speed sensor broken

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
My speed sensor (if thats what its called) has broken away from its mounting screw. Not sure if its been yanked off its when riding off road? Its still being held on by the screw, but not for long.

You can see in these photos that the hole is now enlarged where the fixing screw goes through, and it has also split. Ive added some cable ties to keep it in place.

Its obviously hard wired onto the cable, so is this a quick and easily job for the bike shop? How much do these sensors and cables cost?

Attachments

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Interesting, thanks. And cheaper than i expected.

Anyone know how the cable is removed from the display? And is routing a new cable through the frame straight forward? Maybe tie it to the old cable and pull it through?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
the sensor goes into the motor on the left side. remove the crank, remove about 3 screws to get the cover off, pull out the old sensor connector with thin-nosed pliers and install the new sensor. it takes about 10 minutes. If you look at any of the videos on how to install a dongle to derestrict, it's a similar procedure.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It isn't linked to the display. It plugs into the non drive side of the drive unit/motor.

On many bikes you also do not need to remove the pedal crank. Do remove the battery from the bike though before working on it.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks. With my ebike being under warranty I can't remove the cover, so it will have to be a job for the bike shop. But I can probably live with it as it is for now, with a bit of gaffer tape!

Headshok

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2018
Swindon
My wire broke off mine and I brought a new one to go on - but instead I flipped the sensor and routed the cable internally with the brake hose - looks a lot neater - and I havent broken the wire since! so I have a spare cable somewhere in my shed!

Related Articles

Advertisers