Speed sensor on crank arm.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
I have read that this works on some bikes but not others. Does anybody know if it would fool the speed cutout on a 2017 Haibike sduro hard 7 Yamaha motor? or a 2017 Giant Dirt e 2 with Giant / Yamaha motor? I was told by the local Giant dealer that the Giant version of the motor was not easy to dongle. So would it be smart enough to reject the false readings from the magnet on the crank arm?

Steve.

D

Deleted member 4366

It would have taken less time to try it than it would have to write about it, then you could have told us the answer.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I was chatting to a rep from Focus bikes who claimed they could detect if a dongle or cheat method had been used, to invalidate the motors warranty.

One of the things he said they could check is how hot the battery has been running etc. A battery that had been at a high temperature would suggest a dongle had been used.

Not sure if he was being truthful, or just trying to discourage their use?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebike shop sells and fits dongles and honers the warranty so bosch know this and still he gets away with it.

warranty wise with a dongle no real proof has ever been posted if they can tell or not so there you go.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
Not wanting to buy a dongle is purely to save money. I just want to know what motors will work OK with the magnet on the crank. Loads of people must have tried this. It's such an obvious way to fool the display. All you need is a wired computer (With my BBS 02 wireless won't work) to show your real speed & distance.

Steve.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Not wanting to buy a dongle is purely to save money. I just want to know what motors will work OK with the magnet on the crank. Loads of people must have tried this. It's such an obvious way to fool the display. All you need is a wired computer (With my BBS 02 wireless won't work) to show your real speed & distance.

Steve.
Theres a video on here somewhere of someone doing just that.

D

Deleted member 4366

I was chatting to a rep from Focus bikes who claimed they could detect if a dongle or cheat method had been used, to invalidate the motors warranty.

One of the things he said they could check is how hot the battery has been running etc. A battery that had been at a high temperature would suggest a dongle had been used.

Not sure if he was being truthful, or just trying to discourage their use?
That's total ball cox! The battery is just as likely to become hot when you go too slow. It's temperature depends on how much current you take from it. On a CD bike, it only gives maximum current when your cadence is too low. That's totally independent of speed. The faster you pedal, the less current you can draw from the battery.

Advertisers