Speedway fun bike power?

Ixion

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2020
Hi all,
New here and new to ebikes but not bikes and motorcycles.
Got a project in mind to make a Speedway fun ebike but not sure if its doable? Thinking a mid motor in a Coaster BMX 29” with 3 speed low geared hub/brake, low seat, wide bars and a throttle.
Doesn’t need to be legal as only to be used off road on hard packed ground or grass oval.

My question is: How much power do I need to spin up and drift in the turns?
I weigh 170lbs.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Nick
T

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Ixion

May 19, 2020
Thanks
So 1000 to 1500w should be enough to spin the back wheel up and keep it spinning though a turn?
Bike will be light with no suspension and one hub brake so that will help till I fit a heavy motor/battery/controller etc lol
I just don’t want to throw lots of cash at a project that doesn’t do what I want it to.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Best thing is to search the web for electric bikes that do what you want and look at speccing your bike similarly. Bear in mind you'll need a frame or alternative i.e. back pack, to accommodate size and weight of battery pack for moped equivalent high powered motor.

Ixion

May 19, 2020
Thinking about an alloy Coaster BMX with 29” wheels. Frame triangle should be ok size wise and the horizontal dropouts with a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer using the stronger middle gear for ‘spinning up’. The other gears will maybe give a wheelie gear and a sensible cruising gear. Could also fit chain adjusters with the dropouts to prevent the chain being pulled over to one side.
This is all in my warped head lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bafang will go fast but i doubt you could wheel spin going round corners at any sort of speed and would need a way more powerful motor like 3-5kw like the cake bike.

the problem you are going to have is the size of a battery pack as you will be pulling major amps from it with a motor like that and a small pack would just explode in to flames if you tried it.

you add more power then you add more waight and end up going round in circles and end up with a 60kg bike and most of it is the battery waight.

hub kit

Ixion

May 19, 2020
Hmm this is maybe not doable then as it’s moving away from my original idea of a normalish looking bike with lots of power. As you say, more power, more weight and bulk.
I’m new to ebikes and was maybe expecting too much?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could do it but it wont be no light thing you can throw about and also cost a ton of money to boot.

the sheer size of the battery and cost of it to be made would just not be worth it in the end and the cake bike is 10 grand.

i want a 15kg bike that can go 50mph for 50 miles at that speed but it is going to take a few more years yet for that to happen if at all.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

watch the speedo he is not slowing down that is the battery going flat so it can go over 200mph but it will be flat in 20 miles. ;)

Advertisers