Spent £2600 on the wrong bike?

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Hi so I bought the Cube Kathmandu 625 EXC for ‘bike riding’ but mountain biking has instantly stolen my heart! I’m 3 weeks on but ukbikedepot returns are only 14 days which is a bummer.....

Do I find ways to mountain bike it up abit on the bike somehow or sell and buy something else?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
mountain biking has instantly stolen my heart
What do you mean by this? If you have tried a few mild trails on your Cube and enjoyed them, then just carry on with it, they are called hybrids for a reason. You may find a mountain bike unsuitable for the riding you bought the Cube for.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can see if wider tyres might fit.

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
What do you mean by this? If you have tried a few mild trails on your Cube and enjoyed them, then just carry on with it, they are called hybrids for a reason. You may find a mountain bike unsuitable for the riding you bought the Cube for.
I went to Leeds urban bike park and went on some red trails and fell in love so the intended use as a road bike mainly has gone out the window, I think there’s a reason why everyone has full blown suspension, the mountain bikes are just designed for it, the hybrids are for canals I think

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Everyone has full squidge because theyre fashion victims. Practically none of that 30 years ago but that didn't stop us riding the black routes.

Suspenders do help, but theyre far from essential. Most riders I've seen would do better spending the money on tuition before suspension - the bulk of them don't know the difference between fast riding and fast risk taking.

As for your current predicament, it should be more than up to some reasonable trails. As aforementioned above, so bigger tyres may help.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Thats a heavy bike at about 27kg, and the geometry wont lend itself to downhill/technical riding either. Keep the Kat and drop another £3.8k on below and at least you'll be able to use both batteries on both bikes for all day MTB'ing or long touring rides/ holidays...afterall, it's only money and you cant have too many bikes

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
eBay it (with full explanation of why), and buy the bike you now know you want.
You'll 'only' lose £400-500.

And don't rush, now!
:)

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Everyone has full squidge because theyre fashion victims. Practically none of that 30 years ago but that didn't stop us riding the black routes.

Suspenders do help, but theyre far from essential. Most riders I've seen would do better spending the money on tuition before suspension - the bulk of them don't know the difference between fast riding and fast risk taking.
Fashion victims LOL
No its called progress you will be telling us all next you still use rod brakes and solid tyres because only useless cyclist do otherwise .

I used to ride full rigid mountain bikes back in the late 80s but now ride a full suspension and a hard tail

Black routes 30 years ago were unheard of trail centres with graded routes have only been around in the last 15 years or so
And If you think F/S bikes are far from essential you obviously dont ride well enough or hard enough to warrant one but feel the need to put people down who do i would love to see you ride a gap jump on a full rigid bike
Post up some videos im sure we would all like to see it .

Reactions: Carlbiker

Carlbiker

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2020
Today I took the Kathmandu back and came home with a loan version of this:

ukbikedepot said I could have that (new version) for £3.7 or this for same price:

The cube is carbon but has 27.5 inch wheels and slightly better specs so I’m told (?)such as the fork but if I tried to compare the two bikes I’d be at a loss, anyone here better equipped to advise?

The Orbea is so much better than my (old) Kathmandu, sure it’s £1100 more on already in my eyes obscene amounts (although by sounds probably even more obscene to some posters) but it’s so much more responsive, the Kathmandu is totally ridged in comparison which might be a little unfair but I’m glad I acted on my suspicions within the little window of time left to get an exchange; only thing now is picking between the two bikes....I’m blown away by mountain biking at Leeds urban park, I’m finding learning new skillsa nice challenge but a total buzz whilst getting fit too! I had to go ebike due to a slipped disc so I can’t run without getting sciatic shots into my calves but touch wood it’s not impacted by biking so far.

Have to add the guys at ukbikedepot in Halifax are class by taking my bike back after 3 weeks and giving me a loan until stock comes in 2 weeks at which point they will deliver and collect my loan