spoke tension

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
is there a easy way to check spoke tension. and a cheap tool to check them, as I see there is a very expansive tool on ebay, but cant afford that

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
To be honest, unless you are totally tone deaf it will be obvious if you have a loose one. Pluck them one at a time. If it's a rear wheel, one side may be higher than t'other, depending on how its built. On a front they should be about the same.

Any that are loose will make a distinct 'thunk'.

No need to be too precise, you won't be playing it with the Philharmonic.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
To be honest, unless you are totally tone deaf it will be obvious if you have a loose one. Pluck them one at a time. If it's a rear wheel, one side may be higher than t'other, depending on how its built. On a front they should be about the same.

Any that are loose will make a distinct 'thunk'.

No need to be too precise, you won't be playing it with the Philharmonic.

so if using a guitar tuner, do you mean that every spoke has to be dead 0 like same if you was tuning guitar strings as thats a bit different. but how do i set spoke sounds to know they correct

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
so if using a guitar tuner, do you mean that every spoke has to be dead 0 like same if you was tuning guitar strings as thats a bit different. but how do i set spoke sounds to know they correct
You will need to set the tuner to manual, and take a readout of the frequency (or at least the note) unless you happen have a standard tuned wheel!

I can't play 'Stairway' on my rear unless I de-tune spokes 1, 3 and 5. Then it's close enough for prog.

Advertisers