SPOKES FOR 20” Batribike Wheels

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
While winter is here and I’m not riding I’m trying to amass suficient spares to keep my Quartz bike going indefinately, I’ve read several stories of Batribike spokes having broken so I’m looking for suppliers of suitable replacements as spares.
Any information of where toget them would be appreciated — and preferably stronger.

My Quartz is 2011 having rear wheel drive + shimano gears.

Jim

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
While winter is here and I’m not riding I’m trying to amass suficient spares to keep my Quartz bike going indefinately, I’ve read several stories of Batribike spokes having broken so I’m looking for suppliers of suitable replacements as spares.
Any information of where toget them would be appreciated — and preferably stronger.

Jim
Take out a spoke and measure the length, just remember you will have to bring it back to the same tension to keep it true. As for guage based on an image of the bike they look quite thick, possibly 12g but a local bike shop will be able to advise you better on what you have. I've just had to change one on my Carrera it's a common hub motor issue so getting some spares is definitely a good idea

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
There is a school of thought that says that thicker spokes are not a good idea,as they flex less they are more prone to breakage. Counter intuitive, I know, but that's the experience many have had. So better a well made 14 or maybe 13g rather than a cheap 12g.

oldbikerman

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2019

Jim
Hi

I have contacted Batribike directly, they are very helpful and carry a lot of spares for the Quartz model.

oldbikerman

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Take out a spoke and measure the length, just remember you will have to bring it back to the same tension to keep it true. As for guage based on an image of the bike they look quite thick, possibly 12g but a local bike shop will be able to advise you better on what you have. I've just had to change one on my Carrera it's a common hub motor issue so getting some spares is definitely a good idea
Regarding broken spokes: I had 5 break all at once on ride out. obtained spares from Batribike but they stock only a slightly thicker spoke for this model, fitted them any way and off you go!. However on closer inspection I notice that the drive side of the hub(right) has the spokes laced as I see it, incorrectly, all spokes lying on the inside of the flange instead of alternate in- out -in -out round. Thus the spokes on crossing are being bent out of line. I think the wheel has been built incorrectly, so I will be rebuilding it shortly

regards

• Agree
Reactions: Jimo

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
OBM, Thanks for the tip, I’ve just ordered 40 spokes for the Quartz rear wheel, my new battery re-celled by Jimmy at BGA will also arrive on Monday - Whoopee!
What a wonderful job (36v 15.6ah, & up to 3000 discharges) complete and returned in seven days.

Jim

Last edited: