Sprint tyre pressure 45 or 60 psi?

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi, I'm enjoying being back on Pedelec again and am occasionally re-reading some older threads, mainly on my Sprint and, naturally, batteries!

I would have posted this in the Technical forum but I think the permissions are with the experts so could not post my question there. Sorry if this is in the wrong place here.

I was re-reading the Sprint handbook (online, from the link on Onbike Site) and whilst most seemed familiar to me, I have a question about the tyre pressure. It says 60 psi. However, and bearing in mind I'd forgotten more than I remember these past two years, I thought the pressure for the Sprint was 45 psi - but maybe my cycle pump dial was incorrectly moved to 45 psi. There seems a big difference from 45 to 60 so please can someone confirm what I should be inflating them to. The tyres are the original ones that came with bike, but bearing in mind the bike was changed out due to the recall of the Sprint frames at around the Autumn of 2010.

Don't want to overinflate and cause a puncture, punctures are my biggest dread of all.

Thanks in advance for replying.:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
60 lbs is more likely Jeanette, but the range of acceptable pressures is shown on the side of tyres amonst the other wording. In fact it's pressures that are too low which are more likely to caused punctures and splits in tubes.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Acceptable pressures for tyres or rims?
I say that because last week my wifes Giant mountain bike had a wheel split right along the wear groove around the rim. I put Schwalbe Marathons on it a while ago. I don't have a gauge i just keep them pumped up firm but not so much that they are rock solid. I can only guess that the rims were designed for flimsey mountain bike tyres. What i think happened was the rim must have been moving due to the pressure exerted by the tyres and finaly split.
I never thought those wear grooves were a good idea....

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Admittedly mine is a Sprint GTS, (has a cross bar), but I run mine at 60psi and its been fine for over 3000 miles at that pressure on mixed terrain.

Happy pedalling

Bob_about