Help! SRAM EX1 chain compatibility

m0gwaiz

Just Joined
Sep 19, 2019
Hi All,

I recently purchased an eMTB that came with the SRAM EX1 groupset.

My plan from the beginning was to upgrade to a wireless shifting solution such as the SRAM X01, however, what completely skipped my mind is that the EX1 is using a wider chain.

The front sprocket is proprietary to the bike/motor manufacturer, so sourcing the piece could be a headache, if available at all. All other pieces are obviously available and part of the X01 groupset.

My question is the following, has anyone used a 'regular' chain on the EX1 groupset, my understanding is the width difference is marginal and meant to ease shifting in conjunction with the EX1 cassette, my concern is that the cogs on the front sprocket might be designed specifically for the EX1 and might be wider/larger which won't allow for any other chain to work.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
sram xx1 is wireless and costs bucks but it is 12spd so will need a 12spd chain.

you can use normal sprockets with 12speed as i have one on my bike

m0gwaiz

Just Joined
Sep 19, 2019
Thanks.

Changing the chain is not an issue since as you rightly mention it will be 12 speeds and require a different Lenght.

My issue is I can't change the front sprocket, its linked to the motor, so the question was more if a regular chain will work instead of the wider one from the EX1 or a different question would be is the EX1 front sprocket similar to any other or does it has larger/wider cogs that won't accommodate a normal chain.

Hope this makes some sort of sense :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what motor is it ? as you must be able to remove the front sprocket.

with the ex1 sprocket it is made for 12speed otherwise the xsync as it locks the chain to the sprocket.

DSC_0110.JPG

so if you have a 8spd cassete any 8spd chain will work it just wont lock on like in the pic as that will only work with 12spd eagle

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks like it is held on with a lock ring same as bosch motors so you need to remove the crank arm and find what spanner/ socket you need to remove the front sprocket.

then you just need to find one that fits it but i have a stander sprocket with a 12spd chain so what you have should be ok.DSC_0112_01.JPG

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
what motor is it ? as you must be able to remove the front sprocket.

with the ex1 sprocket it is made for 12speed otherwise the xsync as it locks the chain to the sprocket.

View attachment 32134

so if you have a 8spd cassete any 8spd chain will work it just wont lock on like in the pic as that will only work with 12spd eagle
I have used the ex1 front sprocket with 8,10 and 11 speed chains
They have all worked faultless in my experience

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I had the 8 speed EX1 running to a Bosch front sprocket then changed to Shimano XT 11 speed with same front sprocket. My next bike came with 11 speed XT and the same front sprocket. I now have 5 old front sprockets all the same size of 2mm thick. Never had a chain size option when purchasing.

Advertisers