Standard 3pin ebike chargers?

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
I fail to see why We don't have standard UK 3pin outlets scattered all over the UK? We all then just take our own 3pin chargers with us on any sizable journey, negating the need for these charging points to have multiple connector ends, and indeed also negating the need to set the correct voltage parameters. You could have these points on the sides of EV car chargers, lampposts, ect. And because We all bring our own chargers with us surly makes this entire tried and trusted process very simple indeed. And this Could, and would lead us all to have much smaller, and lighter battery packs on our ebikes.

Reactions: GSV3MiaC

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
Sounds like a good idea to me.. Stick one on every lamppost, with a 5v USB outlet too. Unlock with your mobile phone, just like modern parking meters. Of course you'd be there several hours, charging from empty.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, really good idea. I have a lamppost on my driveway, so I could run an extension lead into my house and reduce my electricity bill.

When you stay at a campsite, boatyard, marina or anything like that, there are electric points all over the place. Nearly always, they don't work because somebody has plugged somthing in that they shouldn't have, and that tripped the RCD or fuse.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Sounds like a good idea to me.. Stick one on every lamppost, with a 5v USB outlet too. Unlock with your mobile phone, just like modern parking meters. Of course you'd be there several hours, charging from empty.
Yes indeed. I was thinking more like charging quite often, every time you stop for lunch and 25 minute rest/drinks stops, just essentially keeping topped up, and a major charge over a long lunch stop. If these chargers were everywhere, you would soon Plan your stops around them, and sometimes not need them at all! But what a safety net.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Yes, really good idea. I have a lamppost on my driveway, so I could run an extension lead into my house and reduce my electricity bill.

When you stay at a campsite, boatyard, marina or anything like that, there are electric points all over the place. Nearly always, they don't work because somebody has plugged somthing in that they shouldn't have, and that tripped the RCD or fuse.
Just an opening thought, of course you'd have to pay for energy used, and maybe unlock via a signed up app of sorts. Or maybe We should never have ebike charging points out on the rides because it's up there with world diplomacy in its complexity? 3pin plug that you pay for every unit used... can it be that difficult?

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Good idea to allow the use of lighter batteries.
You could probably reduce the weight by as much as the charger and cable that you now have to carry.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Just an opening thought, of course you'd have to pay for energy used, and maybe unlock via a signed up app of sorts. Or maybe We should never have ebike charging points out on the rides because it's up there with world diplomacy in its complexity? 3pin plug that you pay for every unit used... can it be that difficult?
Yes, it is that difficult, at least in the UK it is. Just look at the utterly shambolic EV charging arrangements with a plethora of networks and means of access.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
There already is a perfectly good network of charging points for e-bikes around the UK - they're called pubs, cafes, coffee shops, McDonalds (other junk food outlets are available). The bonus here is you can grab a coffee, maybe some food, and take a leak all at the same time... and all whilst supporting our badly traumatised hospitality industry too with a bit of custom. It's a win-win.

CreativeSource

Pedelecer
Mar 2, 2017
Poole Dorset
Good idea to allow the use of lighter batteries.
You could probably reduce the weight by as much as the charger and cable that you now have to carry.
But at least you wouldn't run out of Battery, oh, and how heavy is your charger? Most people take a rucksack, and some take panniers, this would be a network primarily for long rides and adventures, and like I said before, a safety net, (no more range anxiety) You wouldn't need them for normal length rides. Maybe you should think carefully about taking water with you on your next ride if you're so worried about a little extra weight? Plenty of places to get water from after all

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I mapped a lot of public water taps when I was surveying ROWs in Shropshire. Churches and campsites were good. Public electric points harder to find, but less vital for walkers.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
But at least you wouldn't run out of Battery, oh, and how heavy is your charger? Most people take a rucksack, and some take panniers, this would be a network primarily for long rides and adventures, and like I said before, a safety net, (no more range anxiety)
My charger weighs 0.9kg and my 482Wh battery weighs 2.7kg. Therefore the "smaller, lighter" battery would have to be less than 1.8kg for any weight saving advantage. Unfortunately this likely to reduce the battery's capacity by at least one third.
The costs of installing and running an e-bike charging network used as a safety net for people on longer rides would be prohibitive, especially if users pay for the energy used as this would require each charging location to be a metered supply point.
There is also a problem with using street lights as charging points and that is there is no power available to most street lights during the day.
An e-bike charging network sounds like a great idea until you look at the practicalities of providing such a thing.
If you want to charge when out and about just put a PAT sticker on your charger and ask to plug in wherever you stop for coffee or whatever.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
The South East of UK appears to have got the bad end of the deal! However if it really is free, I commend them.. Just need 3 orders of magnitude more..

Reactions: CreativeSource