Stealth 100W motor caput after 18 months

Trevor Appleton

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
This is the advice from the supplier and cyclotricity. I have probably used it 40 miles offroad in total and 10 miles per week on road fro 18 months (and that could be much less).

QWarranty out at 12 months. New motor £200. Pretty gutted.

Wondering about trade in against another more suitable to cycletouring which I am more likely to do than offroading.

Any suggestions for a touring e-bike? The stealth wont take front panniers due to fork suspension so presumably you wouldn't have this on a touring bike?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Why do you think the motor is faulty. There's not to much to them to fail and they're easy to fix anyway. If you liked it, why not sort it out. Let's say the motor is faulty and you don't likeit. Why not just get a new motor more suited to your riding style?

Trevor Appleton

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
This is from the Electric |Bike Company who supplied it:

Cyclotricity have assessed the video sent by the bike shop and don’t really know what is causing this or whether it will be cost effective to repair. As it’s out of warranty they’re saying that it would probably be less expensive to buy a new motor than attempt to repair the one that you have.

On this basis we have two options for you:

1. A brand new (12 month warranty) 1000w motor, with discount applied is £190
  2. We have a part used 1000w motor (6 months warranty) for £80

I’m sorry that there is cost involved but as it’s out of warranty there’s not much more that we can do.

If I have to go to that expense I am thinking of switching to something more suitable to cycle touring as I cant have a front pannier on the suspension forks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hubs are usually reliable though possible a hall sensor has failed ?
More likely the controller has a mosfet issue so quite easy to see/find if that is the fault, if so replace controller and off you go again. Easy manual test 2 or 3 mins , electrical test 10- 20 mins no opening/removal of hub required just a pair of hands or a meter.
Also check battery output fuse hasn't blown.
For front panniers the Thule pack n ride carrier might work if set up high enough on the forks.

Trevor Appleton

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
I cycled it to the bike shop btw (where it still is) and never noticed anything wrong with it, the bike shop noticed the play in the axle that's when it led to getting the Electric Bike Company and Cyclotricity involved.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You might be surprised to know that those who sell some kits haven't a clue how to fault find.
A bike shop most likely less of a clue.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
If the motor is still running then it prob. just needs a couple of new bearings, about £1 each. it's amazing how clueless some sellers and shops can be.:rolleyes:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Hopefully some time in the distant future shops that sell ebikes will be able to carry out simple repairs like this and make life easier for owners who cannot do the work themselves. Unfortunately, at present you might as well ask your local butcher, baker or cadlestick maker to repair your bike, you might have more luck.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I open mine up and replaced all bearings when one starts to fail to save having to go through the process twice. Last time It cost me about £ 7 or £8 for my Bafang CST, I even did the cassette hub ones as well.
As for Wheelipete's reply I had to give it a funny was going to agree as the end paragraph could well be true.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
We can laugh about it Neal, but I really feel for the poeple like Trevor who cannot repair themselves, but come up against this type of attitude. I understand that care must be taken sometimes to make a customer aware that a repair may not be possible, but hey, try and help them out, you might learn something new to add to the services you offer and it might pay dividends in the longer term, or maybe your just happy indexing gears, changing tyres and brake pads all day.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Trevor, the thing is that you have been offered a new motor which, if the control system is faulty as suspected, will not work anyway. The tests that have been suggested are simple, if you get a multimeter (cost 5-8 pounds) and, with the aid of photo's, you can be walked through these tests. It's been done for many on this forum and will help to build your knowledge base.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The hand test spinning the wheel to rule out a controller issue is free and takes 2 -3 mins, only tech bit involved is maybe disconnecting the controller if required. The electrical test afterwards is to confirm either Mosfet fault of internal motor hall failure.

The 1000w motor is a D/D drive I believe so not clutch inside so less to go wrong.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Assuming it was supplied by a dealer and it is only 18 months old then the whole is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, an obligation specifically and only on that supplying dealer. The warranty, usually a makers, is only an "extra", the CRA 2015 covers so much more.
To fail after what seems about 750 to 800 miles must give out a strong suggestion of not being originally fit for purpose, unless clearly abused.
If all is as implied I would simply remind the supplying dealer of the Act and depending on their actions talk to trading standards and look to start a small claims action if there is no movement. I suspect the SC Court would feel an electric bike should last more than 800 miles, unless supplied with some original build fault?

Fobbing one off about the CRA 2015 not applying in cases where it does becomes a very much more serious issue and would be where Trading standards get interested. Unfortunately, this seems many smaller sellers route,being for whatever reason "unaware", or unwilling to concede, the massive powers it gives the buyer.

Last edited:

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Assuming it was supplied by a dealer and it is only 18 months old then the whole is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, an obligation specifically and only on that supplying dealer. The warranty, usually a makers, is only an "extra", the CRA 2015 covers so much more.
To fail after what seems about 750 to 800 miles must give out a strong suggestion of not being originally fit for purpose, unless clearly abused.
If all is as implied I would simply remind the supplying dealer of the Act and depending on their actions talk to trading standards and look to start a small claims action if there is no movement. I suspect the SC Court would feel an electric bike should last more than 800 miles, unless supplied with some original build fault?

Fobbing one off about the CRA 2015 not applying in cases where it does becomes a very much more serious issue and would be where Trading standards get interested. Unfortunately, this seems many smaller sellers route,being for whatever reason "unaware", or unwilling to concede, the massive powers it gives the buyer.
So, we are talking about a 1000W motor and not a 100W motor (never heard of one of these!)as Titled at the start of this thread? Once you go down a legal route to recover losses, is it not possible that some one might point out that a 1000W ebike motor is illegal in the UK at least. Except on privately owned land which hardly includes commuting!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The thread heading is wrong, these are 1kw D/D hubs which they say have a 250w switch to be legal :rolleyes:.