Steering Damper

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have seen this on a couple of bikes,just a spring from the fork to the sloping tube.
Has anyone ever used one and if so, what did you think of it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Marwood Hill used one on his mighty Bear with twin motors, maybe he will reply if he is still reading.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
1566079155246.png
:rolleyes:

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Yes, my bike has one. Would not be without it. You can make your own easily enough. Springs are about two pounds on EBay and a stainless clamp the same.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I'm probably being dim again, but I can't see what benefit the spring/damper gives.
Why wouldn't you be without it?

• Agree
Reactions: KirstinS

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Without a stabiliser, when you let go of the handlebars when at rest, the front wheel tends to have a mind of its own and twists brake cables etc. If you have a fork-mounted rack, and it's loaded, the problem is even worse. That is what is so good about the front rack mounting on the new Wispers, Radpower, Igo etc.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Thanks for the explanation.
Fortunately, my handlebars aren't so willful as to need restraining like that.

D

Deleted member 25121

Without a stabiliser, when you let go of the handlebars when at rest, the front wheel tends to have a mind of its own and twists brake cables etc. If you have a fork-mounted rack, and it's loaded, the problem is even worse. That is what is so good about the front rack mounting on the new Wispers, Radpower, Igo etc.
I can see why it could be useful at rest but don't you find the steering resistance annoying when you're on the move?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can see why it could be useful at rest but don't you find the steering resistance annoying when you're on the move?
No, it has no noticeable effect since the amount the handlebars turn during riding is tiny, much of the turn achieved by the lean into corners. So barely pulling the spring which is set to near zero tension when the wheel is straight ahead

These dampers are very popular in the Continent, probably because so much bike use there is utility riding so often with luggage of some kind. Extra weight on a bike can provoke more front wheel flopping at rest.