Storck Raddar Multitask OR KTM Macina Race OR What?

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Hi guys,
Help appreciated.
For about 3to4 years I have been trying to buy an electric bike. I THINK I've narrowed it down to these 2 bikes although any other suggestions welcome.
One seems to be 'centre' drive and one rear hub. I'm not at all technical but ~I would love to receive any advice.
Cheers in advance...
Taff

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Having tried both types of motor placement but not these particular models, in my opinion the ‘feel’ is distinctly different. A motor in the rear hub gives a sense of being pushed whilst one at the crank is more akin to ‘dry’ cycling. Some prefer the one and others the other. Everyone will agree however that you’re best advised if at all possible to try before you buy, including a steep hill on your test route.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Lots of discussions on here. I have the Storck , but that does not mean its any better.
Best to try them and make your own decision. I am a pretty fit cyclist and use the Storck along with pedal bikes. If you have plenty of hills the Storck will seem a struggle at times , but the motor is completely silent.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Taff,not sure if you can make it ....but you will have opportunity to try the KTM v Haibike v Moustache(French)v Kudos Ibex at the Redbridge Cycling Event,Hainault,NE London,April 7....thats a really good selection of crank drive bikes in one location,to test on a proper racing circuit for bikes...perhaps you could persuade Storck-Raddar to attend,they have been invited!
I have just been advised that Kudos will stock the KTM 29er Race and the KTM 26 Macina Bold. For demo bikes at Redbridge and most of the April roadshows we will have the following bikes-
KTM Macina 29-11 speed Alfine-Bosch crank drive
KTM E-Race 26-27 speed Deore XT-Bionx rear hub motor.
I think the second bike should be a similar spec to the Storck-Raddar,shame Eddieo is still on the wagon!
KudosDave

Last edited:

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi guys,
Help appreciated.
For about 3to4 years I have been trying to buy an electric bike. I THINK I've narrowed it down to these 2 bikes although any other suggestions welcome.
One seems to be 'centre' drive and one rear hub. I'm not at all technical but ~I would love to receive any advice.
Cheers in advance...
Taff
both bikes are excellent ebikes. the storck particularly suits people who are comfortable riding normal bikes and are looking for some assistance, but not expecting the motor to do all the work. its a rear hub motor which is absolutely silent and gives instant power (most hubs have slight delay until a turn of the pedals).
the macina is a crank drive which has good assist up steep hills, but this does require correct use of gears and may seem a little strange if you are used to a normal bike.....but is easy to adjust to.......

for such a big investment its essential to try these bikes and get the correct fit....frame size is very important for comfortable longer rides.......

i have the storck which suits me fine and i live in a very hilly area and like to get exercise from leisure bike rides..........storck also had the frame size which exactly suited my size and was lighter in total weight than other bikes i considered, and very easy to ride with the power switched off.......
regards

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
the macina is a crank drive which has good assist up steep hills, but this does require correct use of gears and may seem a little strange if you are used to a normal bike.....but is easy to adjust to.......
Correct use of gears just like a none-electric bike then?

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Correct use of gears just like a none-electric bike then?
er .....no not at all. cadence is quite different uphill on a crank drive bike, and needs to be slower due to the assist depending upon the pressure exerted on the pedals.this seems quite strange the first time one rides a crank assist bike if used to normal none ebikes.
on normal none ebike cadence is usually much higher on the steep bits for average cyclists and in an easier gear......
regards

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
It must vary depending on the bike. When attacking a steep hill on my own crank assisted bike, the motor's at its most efficient with a cadence rate of at least 60 revs per minute.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We are on leave until 25 March. We have a wPanasonic rear drive in stock as wBold and Cross. We will be getting race 26 in due course as well. I will be visiting Redbridge and would support Dave's advice and others to try different bikes. You are welcome to give me a call on 07812996648 if I can be of further assistance. Happy e bike hunting. Apologies for typos my phone is playing up.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
It must vary depending on the bike. When attacking a steep hill on my own crank assisted bike, the motor's at its most efficient with a cadence rate of at least 60 revs per minute.
Mine too, as well; but mine doesn't have a torque sensor: Is that the difference?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Bosch leaflet for their crank drive advises keeping the cadence up for maximum motor efficiency.

I think the idea is to make it as much like a 'proper' bike as possible - the most efficient climbing technique is to spin a lower gear rather than try to power a higher one.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
So it is like a normal bike after all. I hope to try one next month all being well.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Mine too, as well; but mine doesn't have a torque sensor: Is that the difference?
I don't think so; the Bosch system that equips mine has sensors for torque as well as for cadence and speed.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Be interested to know if and how it feels any different to ride a bike with a torque sensor instead of nomal variable PAS.
I can unsderstand somebody wanting a throttle to rest their legs but surely, we already have a very good torque sensor built into our legs.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
+1 to Daves event in Redbridge.

Come and try them all out in one place at the perfect setting!
Should be a good day.
I will of course be there with the Haibikes for you to try.
You can also try a number of other bikes too for comparison..

Also regarding the torque sensor, it makes a massive difference.
I have both here, so its great to jump from one to another to feel the difference.

If you need any more info before hand or would like to try the Haibikes.
I have them here in stock. Just let me know.

Regards
Martin

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
this is very interesting......maintaining cadence 60 on long steep uphill is quite some going even in 'granny' gear ......the crank bikes i have tried appeared to operate on pressure applied rather than speed of pedalling enabling a higher gear.....in fact i find hub bikes need the higher cadence to keep the motor at high revs......and therefore more like the gear selection and cadence required of unassisted bike.

like you say there must be significant variations in how different bikes operate....
regards

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
I tried a Freego Eagle today and an EMotion Neo City. Both seemed good bikes but the Neo City seemed to be better and a very natural ride. I felt good power application on the Neo and a very smooth pick-up and cut-off. Any views on climbing ability of other bikes v the Neo?

Tony

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Also regarding the torque sensor, it makes a massive difference.
I have both here, so its great to jump from one to another to feel the difference.

Regards
Martin
Well?.....Don't leave it there, Martin - 'Zackly What is the difference?

You're in prime position to to give us a subjective opinion on wot's wot, as far as a torque sensor's effect on assistance:

Uphill, mind!

Graphs would be great :)

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well?.....Don't leave it there, Martin - 'Zackly What is the difference?

You're in prime position to to give us a subjective opinion on wot's wot, as far as a torque sensor's effect on assistance:

Uphill, mind!

Graphs would be great :)
Hi guys,

So say, for example the Panasonic torque sensor. This sensor is one of the most advanced and accurate on the market today. Unique to the Panasonic drive system it offers a smooth, natural ride that you simply can’t find anywhere else.

The sensor picks up pressure from the pedals. A small coil mounted around the axle picks up deflection in the axle and transmits power accordingly.
The more you press down on the pedals the more power it transmits. This all happens in the blink of an eye, resulting in a smooth application of power. When you get to a hill, it automatically gives you more assistance as the pressure on the pedals increases.

This sensor is also ‘non-contact’. This means that as you ride it doesn’t generate any drag, so your pedalling motion is just like that of a normal bike. The whole sensor unit is sealed within the motor, meaning it will give you years of reliable use, totally unaffected by adverse weather and dirt.

Basically all this gives a really natural feel to the bikes overall ride, no surging, easy climbs and most of all a reliable drive. It also allows you to effectively use the gears along with the drive. Also because it is such a smooth application of power it really makes a difference when on sloppy terrain as you will find it hard to spin the wheels up.. Even under load.

Really it doesn't matter how much I explain them it all comes down to giving me a visit and actually riding the bikes for your self. This is the unltimate test! :)

I have a nice 'steep' hill locally which is nice to try..

Regards
Martin