Strange Problem with 2 week old 705SE - 30 miles on the clock.

Anthony-EJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
Have already spoken to the dealer who I purchased my 705SE from - they have said that they will need to speak with Wisper on Monday. But I thought I ask just in case anybody might know of a fix.

Battery is charged - shows all green on test.
If I put it on the charger - 30 seconds and the charger light goes green.
Battery terminals clean and no obstructions preventing the battery from mounting
All cables look fine and undamaged (which they should as the bike is new).

On Switch on - Battery indicator shows 1 bar blinking.
Assist level - one bar blinking
Current Indicator - All Bars showing (as if delivering full power)
No power to the motor via the throttle
No response to peddling

Basically - its pretty dead.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery fuse blown ?
Have you a meter to see if there is voltage output from the battery terminals.

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
Dug out my old meter last night only to find that the dial on it has seized solid. Guess the battery leaked! Just ordered a new one from screwfix to pickup later this morning.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes all ok there then.
Definitely switched the battery on ?
Does the handle bar display come on and stay on ?

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
Yes - the LCD is coming on and the lights operate when you switch them on (via the LCD unit). The LCD shows one bar on the Battery indicator (flashing) and the current bars are full on. These normally only come on when the motor is working (which it isn't). No other indicators of any fault. The manual suggests that there are indicators for motor and controller faults - but these are deffo off.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With lcd power staying on then it is something fairly simple.
Although not familiar with the Wisper in the flesh, I would check any brake cut offs if fitted. Either a lever not backing off properly or a sensor still sensing. If it is possible to disconnect any brake sensors then try pas before throttle op.
Being a new model to be legal will be set up to pedal before throttle use unless you try the 6km walk assist.
Also as an SE model check the alignment of sensor and disc on the bottom bracket and that they do align and sensing gap isn't to great should be 1 - 3mm gap this would stop pas and may prevent throttle from working.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One other possible thing to check out all though a relatively brand new bike is the motor cable connector, because if it wasn't pushed together properly it may have worked loose. Ensure the two part connector is fully pushed together if need be pull it a part, line the two arrows up and push together again. Often you may feel a faint click as the two parts engage or there is a raised line where to push them up to.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The motor cable follow it from the hub axle they usually have a connector along the rear bike frame stay, the Wisper uses the Akiema so look on the left hand side.

The pedal senor is under the bottom bracket between the front chain wheel/s and bottom bracket/crank arm.

Brake sensors if fitted will go to the controller probably mounted in the front of the battery compartment on the rack.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you are unable to find a fault to get it working then a visit to a nearest Wisper dealer will be required but from your reply your dealer hasn't a clue.

With out having said bike in front of me I can't suggest anything else as it's under warranty so looks like you may have to wait and contact Wisper/David Miall tomorrow.

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
I realise that I failed to thank Neal for all of the help he offered me on Sunday. Sorry mate, I do, of course, appreciate the time you spent trying to help me. It was beyond the call of duty and you are a star. Is there a way of thanking people on this forum?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Anthony, I have spoken to Claud, there is a fault with one of the components, you need to take the bike back to Mountain Mania I'm afraid. Claud will talk to them and resolve.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards, David

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
Hopefully, the dealer will be collecting the bike tomorrow. So with a little bit of luck, I should have it back for the bank holiday weekend - just in time for the bad weather to hit.:)

Anthony-EJ

Aug 10, 2018
Witney - Oxfordshire
My dealer has confirmed that through trial and error - it seems to be a controller fault. They are trying to get a spare sent, but it is getting a little late in the day for a Saturday delivery, so it looks like it will be mid next week before my new bike will be returned.

Edited

Dealer says they tried ringing Wisper with the request for a spare, but Claud wasn't available. Despite being aware of the situation, it appears that nobody bothered to ring the dealer back. This situation is now getting silly. Just how long do you have to wait for someone to take this seriously? This is a new bike - 2 weeks old, you would think it might just be marked as a priority. Seriously unhappy customer here. If this is not resolved pronto - I'm going to ask for a replacement or failing that a full refund. Because of the bank holiday I'm forced into a situation where nothing is going to happen until Tuesday next week. I expect full answers on Tuesday.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers