Strange puncture..

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've got a lovely new Schwalbe smart Sam plus on the Typhoon's back wheel. So I confidently went along the canal and got a puncture.
At first I was cursing the Schwalbe but when I took the tube out I found a tiny pinhole in it but no sign of anything sticking in or through the tyre. I stuck a patch on and cycled home. It's still fully inflated. It's got me beat, the hole is right in the centre of the tube where you'd expect it to be if a thorn or something had come through the tyre.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've got a lovely new Schwalbe smart Sam plus on the Typhoon's back wheel. So I confidently went along the canal and got a puncture.
At first I was cursing the Schwalbe but when I took the tube out I found a tiny pinhole in it but no sign of anything sticking in or through the tyre. I stuck a patch on and cycled home. It's still fully inflated. It's got me beat, the hole is right in the centre of the tube where you'd expect it to be if a thorn or something had come through the tyre.
Although that tyre is quite hefty, it's possible that something anchored in the ground but with a projecting sharp spike, like a thin stiff wire for example, pierced the tyre body momentarily in passing. The tiny hole in the tyre would instantly close as the deflected rubber swelled back and probably not be visible, but the stretch inherent in an inflated tube could amplify the hole to visibility.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've now bought a new tube and a couple of bottles of slime. I'll beat that canal yet. :)

I just thought it funny since my front tyre which isn't a Schwalbe never got the puncture.

P.S. It wasn't funny when it happened, I'm just glad no children or fluffy kittens were within earshot. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
never had a flat now in over 1000 miles as tubeless.

just top it up every 3-6 months ;)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Not saying this is what happened but one nasty way of getting a puncture on off road tracks and footpaths is from the stapled down chicken wire which is often used to give a non slip surface to wooden bridges and walkways.
Over time the wires get broken and stick up like needles and will go straight into a tyre leaving no evidence but a tiny hole. They then remain in position ready to do it again:(.
Dave.