Stromer ebike is the first to feature frame-integrated ABS

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Anything that improves safety, I find good.

What do you think, overdone?

The price is and it appears that it may not be legal in the UK and EU.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Stromer typically make high speed e-bikes for the Swiss market, some but not this one matching the EU's S class and type approved for it. However the need for registration here in the UK as an L1e-B moped means it does match that moped class requirements.

I think the ABS is a bit OTT for a 45 kph (28mph) e-bike, but so long as it works no harm done, except to the wallet.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Ive emergency braked a bicycle from a lot faster than 30mph and it never skidded uncontrollably. An answer to a question no one was asking, and a pound to a pinch of dog doo says people still don't get their wallets out to ask that question.

For my own part, I would like to see some evidence that it improves bicycle safety before forming any judgement that it will do so.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ive emergency braked a bicycle from a lot faster than 30mph and it never skidded uncontrollably. An answer to a question no one was asking, and a pound to a pinch of dog doo says people still don't get their wallets out to ask that question.

For my own part, I would like to see some evidence that it improves bicycle safety before forming any judgement that it will do so.
Agreed, but when you're serving the high end market as Stromer, and indeed so many other Swiss companies do, there are always those who just want everything regardless of cost.

The other Swiss e-bike maker, Flyer AG. have a wide range from circa 3500€ to 8000€. Not as eye watering as some of Stromer's "from US$ 9999" but not exactly the popular market:

Flyer AG link

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I tried the Bosch ABSsystem on gravel. It was absolutely perfect. I was really surprised how well it works. Of course you don't need it on normal dry roads, but if you ride on anything other than tarmac, it wiuld be very useful, and you never know when you're going to encounter a slippery surface on a normal road. The penalty,apart from the expense, is the weight - not a problem on a moped like the Stromer, but you'd notice it on a normal bike.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
The R&M bikes have Bosch ABS as an option, and the one I bought has it (it was the one option I didn't want, but the demonstrator had it, and the price was right, and delivery was instant so ..). It is impossible to make it skid on gravel, but you can still dump it on a corner if you lean and brake I suspect. You also can't go over the bars, since if the back wheel lifts, the braking stops. Works fine, but obviously needs power, and does make a 'zzzizzing' sounds when you brake hard (even on dry tarmac), not that you can hear it very well unless you are freewheeling, since the motor is MUCH louder than that.

So it works good. Is it worth £300+ or whatever the list price was .. nope .. and of course you need hydraulic disk brakes and a Bosch system, so it's £300 on top of 'a lot already'.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The R&M bikes have Bosch ABS as an option, and the one I bought has it (it was the one option I didn't want, but the demonstrator had it, and the price was right, and delivery was instant so ..). It is impossible to make it skid on gravel, but you can still dump it on a corner if you lean and brake I suspect. You also can't go over the bars, since if the back wheel lifts, the braking stops. Works fine, but obviously needs power, and does make a 'zzzizzing' sounds when you brake hard (even on dry tarmac), not that you can hear it very well unless you are freewheeling, since the motor is MUCH louder than that.

So it works good. Is it worth £300+ or whatever the list price was .. nope .. and of course you need hydraulic disk brakes and a Bosch system, so it's £300 on top of 'a lot already'.
As Mark Twain said,
"What you ain't got don't never need no fixin'"

Reactions: D C

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

Of course it all depends on the surface you are riding on, the state of the tyres and the skill of the rider normally.
I have stopped safely, a great many times over the years, though I was not going 30MPH. I am sure many other riders can say the same. Its part of being a good rider I feel....
But I have also landed on my arse a few times as well, usually when riding on grit, or sand, ice or snow, a loose surface at any rate, and either heavy braking, fast cornering, or both!!
Though I would never give out such money for a bike, just to get ABS, as I have better (IMHO) things to do with my money....
In a few years, if it really makes a bike better, the price will drop for Mr Normal....it always does.
The ones who pay the most, get their special bike first and crow about it!
regards
Andy