STVZO Lights (with lenses)

OBOne

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2019
Various Chinese sellers have lights for around £15 that can be connected directly to the e-bike battery and actually have lenses to direct the light (unlike the dozens of floodlight style bike lights).

They claim to meet the German STVZO standard, which requires bike lights to focus their beam similar to car headlights.

Anybody experienced one?

I imagine they're much better for cyclists (all light focused where you want it) and drivers (less dazzling).

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I don't know that one but I watch with interest as the days draw in.

I have a light with many settings to cope with town traffic to dark nights on the south downs but not focussed like this

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Got a link or two? I am willing to give one a go for 15 €.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks!

The beam photos look OK, the b+m has near light beam so you don't get the tyre shadow like that.

There's also this one for £22 currently, same seller, but claims a higher brightness despite also being 5w.
That won't be true with 6v input but with the higher voltages why not.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
You can spend a little more and get something that definitely does meet the standard - my experience is that the claims on some of these lights are not quite true (e.g. lux). I've got 2 of the Spanninga Axendo 80 lights on my velomobile and like them a lot. Much better beam pattern than all the previous lights that I've bought from bangood, gear best and the like.
Various places do them, the chap who runs this shop is a nice chap who moved from the UK to the Netherlands for the cycling.
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/recumbent-velomobile-parts/spanninga-axendo-80-xe

OBOne

Aug 8, 2019
You can spend a little more and get something that definitely does meet the standard - my experience is that the claims on some of these lights are not quite true (e.g. lux). I've got 2 of the Spanninga Axendo 80 lights on my velomobile and like them a lot. Much better beam pattern than all the previous lights that I've bought from bangood, gear best and the like.
Various places do them, the chap who runs this shop is a nice chap who moved from the UK to the Netherlands for the cycling.
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/recumbent-velomobile-parts/spanninga-axendo-80-xe
Interesting comparison. Would be great to compare the two of them! That one is three times the price.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Interesting comparison. Would be great to compare the two of them! That one is three times the price.
Which is still cheap if it's a good stvzo compliant light with genuine specs not like a lot of the Chinese lights with there make believe specs

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
That won't be true with 6v input but with the higher voltages why not.
Very dependent on what motor your talking about as a few have 6v 2a output which equates to 12w which is just over a 1000 lumens
I will agree a fair amount of 6v light outputs are lower but not all

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Well I've ordered one of the supposedly 120 lux Chinese ones. Will post back when I've tested it with some beam pattern photos.
Any news there please. I've totalled my main light (off road, I stacked it and light took a branch a high speed)

Keen to hear about these if you are able

OBOne

Aug 8, 2019
Any news there please. I've totalled my main light (off road, I stacked it and light took a branch a high speed)

Keen to hear about these if you are able
Sorry, mine haven't turned up yet. Anybody else ordered any?

Reactions: KirstinS

Flumpet

Oct 3, 2019
how are they wired up/connected to the battery? I have a usb socket, but nothing else other than the main control wire. (Dillinger convertion)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have my wired in lights connected to wires spliced into the power in wires on the controller. When I plug the battery in (now using spark free XT90 plug) the lights are on.

Reactions: Flumpet

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have done the same as AK before but also have added a switch near by to the controller and a smll amperage fuse in line.

Reactions: Flumpet

OBOne

Aug 8, 2019
So have you guys now got Chinese lights of the kind shown in the opening post?