Suggestions for Pashley Picador 3 speed conversion

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
I recently bought my wife the above Trike and now I'm looking to add an electric motor and battery. I was initially thinking that a Xiongda 2 speed would be the one to use, then the write up on the Q128H made me review the upgrade. Then I thought why not ask :) It may be that people have done such an upgrade on a trike and just not written it up.

As the chain drive only drives one wheel I initially thought that I'd just fit the hub to the other rear wheel, but when I think more, there is no way to easily fit the motor onto the existing axle shaft.

Then I thought "Front wheel drive" however I don't want to really lose the roller brake as two brakes on the front is a good idea with a trike.

Then I thought what about a mid mounted hub? There is the three speed Sturmey Archer hub that sits in the middle of the drive and is driven by the crank and a chain ring bolted to the hub then drives the rear axle.

Any advice welcome, if you're shy then please pm me, I'll respect your anonymity :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Emma who posts on here as twinkle is your man, or rather woman.

She's done several trike conversions.

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
Thanks Rob, I'll pm Emma.

Any other advice still welcome :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
for trikes, the crank drive conversion is easiest, then front hub BPM kit. The Q128H from bmsbattery is for rear hub.

Reactions: appyarry
D

Deleted member 4366

You can't use a rear hub-motor because of the axle. You can't use a front one because of the brake. That only leaves a middle motor. You need to measure the width of your bottom bracket before taking that idea any further.

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
Hi Philip

Just read the above post D8 is your man for mid drive conversions

unless you are very clever
( you could do a bolt on front disc caliper conversion with a little forethought , l have made some bolt on disc adapters on 3 tadpole trikes )
But somewhere I read that e-trikes need
3 wheel braking here in the UK to comply with EAPC regs ( worth checking again )

regards emma

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
Thanks for all the advice, I will measure up and take some photos, I was going to look at improving the brakes. I'll check out the EAPC regs.

Thanks to all.

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
You can't use a rear hub-motor because of the axle. You can't use a front one because of the brake. That only leaves a middle motor. You need to measure the width of your bottom bracket before taking that idea any further.
The Front forks have 100 mm gap so if I could fit a disk then a front hub could be made to work.

The drive to the rear axle is via a 3 speed Sturmey archer with a chain wheel affixed to the spoke flange. Doing something in this area would be great, the only trouble is how?Chain drive 3 speed hub.JPG
The bottom bracket width is ~68 mm and the central diameter ~34mm.

Any suggestions or novel ideas welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

If you have a standard 68mm bottom bracket, you can use a crank drive motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The obvious CD kit is the Bafang BBS perfect for 68mm BB or 73mm. There has been talk of a Xmax CD not to dissimilar to the Bafang but may be a bit cheaper but have not seen these for sale yet. 36v 250w 15a for legality otherwise 350w 18a or 500w 25a both 36v for extra torque, not as cheap as the Cyclone but neater installation.
£630 - £660 from Woosh with A1 customer service or maybe a tad cheaper from Eclipse.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
Thanks for all the advice. I have shown my wife all the pictures and she likes the Bafung one so I'll look to get the 250 watt version.

VMT

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Bafang BBBS will take a bout 2-3 hrs to fit and is easy peasy to do and all cable are water proof plug and play however the lengths on them can be generous. The 250w 36v 14.5/15ah battery combo is good and will give about 45-60 mile range, the 13ah one about 30-45 miles and is a little lighter and bit cheaper. Mileage though depends on gradient, speed attained and choice of assist level, lower assist level draws less amps and lower assist speed increasing range whilst the opposite is said of the higher assist and speed achieved. That said is on 2 wheel bike a trike ( having never ridden one) I assume will probably travel a bit slower than a normal bike so range should be very good.

Reactions: appyarry

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
I've ordered the Kit and a battery from BMS. I will start a new thread to document the fitting and test rides :)

Ta,