Sunny weather

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
I do hope you are all getting this glorious sunny weekend weather. Snowdrops, crocuses, daffodills and smiling faces everywhere here. Even a few bouncing female bottoms in spring dresses as I just rode through the town. I've just clocked up 100 miles on my new Agattu and am looking forward to the first 1000. :D :D :D

C

Cyclezee

Yes Tony, it's excellent biking weather:D I've been out on my Agattu 3 times today, but only as far as B&Q. My wife has got me decorating the dining room, but I always manage to forget something which gives me an excuse to get the bike out:rolleyes: I did manage a 5 litre can of paint which I taped and strapped on to the rear carrier. Maybe I should get one of those trailer thingys?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, did 45.6 miles yesterday and exactly 41 miles today.

Total 679 miles in the last 23 days, though there was a bit of rain and plenty of wet roads during those.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
My wife has got me decorating the dining room, but I always manage to forget something which gives me an excuse to get the bike out
Yuk - decorating. The one bad thing about spring!

> I did manage a 5 litre can of paint which I taped and strapped on to the rear carrier

That sounds a bit of a feat. I do suspect that a trailer must be a more gentle option for the bike. Shame they are so absurdly expensive.

Last edited:

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Yes, did 45.6 miles yesterday and exactly 41 miles today.

Total 679 miles in the last 23 days, though there was a bit of rain and plenty of wet roads during those.
Now you've discouraged me - sulk - :mad:

But I'm getting there. Trouble is there seems no way of winding the clock on other than twirling the front wheel!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do suspect that a trailer must be a more gentle option for the bike. Shame they are so absurdly expensive.
If you go to a branch of one of the cycle discounters like Cycle King, they usually have trailers at reasonable prices, from around £45.

The basis for the elements taken for my very large trailer was a sound French goods trailer from them at £60, and my smaller shopper trailer attached behind in the picture below was £55 from them:

Both had normal hitches originally.

C

Cyclezee

And you towed all that lot behind your old Lafree:eek:
All I can say is your cardio vascular system must be in peak condition Fleccie, whats your secret, clean living and lots of fresh air or steroids?:)
Then there is the mileage you cover towing all that lot, I'm knackered driving 300+ miles a week, never mind cycling:eek:

Or, or, is it the secret new bike???

John

P.S. I suppose you have got bricks in the panniers just for ballast:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's the secret one John, an accelerated life test, hence the high mileages. The ballast is a spare battery in case I run out during a trip.

The double trailer is only used rarely, usually just after Xmas when everyone chucks out loads of wrappings, trees, unwanted stuff etc, and then I need to haul big loads three miles up the North Downs to the depot which the council situated uphill from me. Cockeyed really, uphill loaded and downhill empty. :(

It's quite easy in fact, second gear 6 mph on that Lafree with an SRAM P5 hub, but these days at about 8 mph up 1 in 20 with the Q bike with double trailer, but more like 10 mph with the one big trailer loaded.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I got out in the sunshine here too.
Usual cycle up to Tesco's and back :)
Interestingly, I've found if I stay out in the middle of the road (down the hills) I get more speed - less potholes, drains, etc. Topped 29mph in the 30mph limit today. If I get my head down next time I might make the 30mph speed flasher flash :D
Had to take the wife out for a spin on the VN800 this afternoon - so no more cycling today :(

VN800 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
I got out in the sunshine here too.
Usual cycle up to Tesco's and back :)
Interestingly, I've found if I stay out in the middle of the road (down the hills) I get more speed - less potholes, drains, etc. Topped 29mph in the 30mph limit today. If I get my head down next time I might make the 30mph speed flasher flash :D
Had to take the wife out for a spin on the VN800 this afternoon - so no more cycling today :(

VN800 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I must be really chicken. I went down a hill at 18 mph yesterday and it frightened the life out of me!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I must be really chicken. I went down a hill at 18 mph yesterday and it frightened the life out of me!
Try building up your speeds gradually on good surfaces, then on worse ones and finally on bad ones. You'll gradually be able to use very high speeds in complete safety as I've been doing all my cycling life. Top speeds attained downhill on my current two bikes are 44.1 mph on the T bike and 34.3 mph on the 20" wheel Q bike, and currently I daily ride down a particular two mile long hill at 27-29 mph all the way. It's a very narrow lane with badly broken surfaces and many severe potholes, all of which I know of course, but the only fear is in the car drivers coming up the other way as they see me coming. :D

Tour de France riders regularly top 55 mph on their long downhills, and recumbent trike riders can hit 75 mph, so my speeds are not special. The world record on the flat for a recumbent is 83 mph.

One proviso for your bike though Tony, high downhill speeds on poor surfaces are not advisable with the forks on a soft setting, since bounce can provoke instability.