Suntour forks creaking

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
My front forks creak a lot when Im braking or just coming to a stop. My Cube Cross Pro Hybrid Ebike has only done 700 miles, I think it's done this from new, is it normal?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there cheap forks so dont expect much from them other than they sort of work.

you want some decent fox or rock shox air forks as you wont believe the difference it will make to the feel of the bike.

not cheap tho but well worth it ;)

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
The spray may help, for a while, but as soundwave says the oem forks are lower end.
I've just changed my Oxygen forks for a Rockshox Recon Gold version and whilst they're not the ultimate they're a great improvement from the Suntour XCT's.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks for all the replies and opinions, if its normal I'll knacker them out a bit longer and change them for the summer.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get a small cable tie and poke it in to the rubber seal and then give it a blast of some wd40 and get some lube right inside the fork as its a spring.

should keep it going ;)

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
get a small cable tie and poke it in to the rubber seal and then give it a blast of some wd40 and get some lube right inside the fork as its a spring.

should keep it going ;)
Thanks Soundwave, I'll give them a squirt.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
May be headset that is creaking, check for play.

I use Fork Juice and spray it around seals, best do upside down with wheels removed so you don 't get it on brakes. See youtube videos.
Wouldn't recommend WD40 its likely to damage seals and suspension fluid.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my m8 puts wd40 on his disc rotors lol the brakes dont work but it stops them squeaking lol:eek:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
my m8 puts wd40 on his disc rotors lol the brakes dont work but it stops them squeaking lol:eek:
You may joke but whilst my mate was on holiday his dad oiled his front disc because it looked a little rusty and that was on a gold wing :rolleyes:

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Great to get lots of opinions, I won’t be WD40ing my discs anytime soon. How much are reasonable forks and how do you size them? Are all the nut boses universal for brake callipers and disc alignment? Are front forks different for different wheel sizes? My wheels are 29” if that’s a help.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
forks can cost 300-2000 but it really depends what you use the bike for.

like no point in putting 2k 200mm travel dh forks on it might look bling but will ride like a sack of shite.

there are 2 types straight and tapered steerer tubes not a problem if new but if you buy 2nd hand this must be as long as the one you have on the bike as to short it wont fit if its to long then it can be cut to size.

forks are in different sizes so you will need 29" forks.

brake adaptors are not a problem and come in every rotor size.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If you want best trekking air fork Rockshox Paragon Gold, Suntour also do 28" 63mm air forks for quite bit less and probably not as good.

Jon Matthews

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks fellas

Dbozzuto

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2020
Hi. I have these forks. Yes, they are beginner but they get the job done until you want to upgrade. The company even offers an upgrade program but...I’m saving for a full suspension bike.
Anyway, the spring is on the left side and very easy to service. You can either use a screw driver to gently nudge the cap off (lefty Lucy) or buy the special tool. Remove the spring. Mine was grungy so...

Nasty crunching sound in fork was a tiny bit of corrosion on the top 1 cm of the spring. Paper towel, Wire brush, fine sand paper, full synthesis 0 weight oil and then 90 weight synthetic reel grease.

that’s it. Silent now.

Advertisers