Suntour v RockShox forks?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Just wondering what the realistic difference is between the forks on these two bikes?

Cube Reaction Race 2018 with RockShox Judy Silver TK Air forks

Cube Reaction Pro 2018 with Suntour XCM34 forks

The two bikes are otherwise very similar apart from different Shimano gears, but theres a £200 price difference. I assume the RockShox are a better fork for offloading, whilst the Suntour will be perfectly fine for road and trails?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Thanks, Im thinking the Suntour forks should be adequate for my riding.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the suntour has a coil spring and is the more bottom end fork and the rs is air so can change the psi and will be more serviceable.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In your shoes, I'd pay £200 extra for the Race. The difference in cost of the fork justifies the difference, you'll get in addition XT 11-speed gears and the bike is 5% lighter.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Well non of you are doing a very good job of saving me money!:)

I suppose looking at it like that, the Race does make sense. I wasn't aware that the bike would be lighter, another plus. I assume the RockShox can lock out? I dont like them compressing during road riding.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Well non of you are doing a very good job of saving me money
it's not our money and good advice is usually to buy the best you can afford.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike is 3 years old and the forks are still about 500 quid new old stock rrp was 1k.

every one wants my bike till i drop the price of it pmsl ;)

tho you can always upgrade later if you feel the need.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
So, the 2018 Cube Race it is then :)

Sadly my preferred bike shop won't be getting the red model until week 6 in 2018 :(. The black is available at some shops, but I prefer the red! Anyone know of anywhere with stocks of the red?

Why is life so teasing?

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Hey bear..are you actually gonna get a bike this year??:)...when I bought mine I found the reading up an sussing things out was very enjoyable..my mate sw pointed me in the right direction...it,s all good fun bud..make a decision an go for it....just make sure you make the right decision or your life will be hell...:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh i like the black one better but like all bikes very limited in large frame sizes over 19inc.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Hey bear..are you actually gonna get a bike this year??:)...when I bought mine I found the reading up an sussing things out was very enjoyable..my mate sw pointed me in the right direction...it,s all good fun bud..make a decision an go for it....just make sure you make the right decision or your life will be hell...:)
Ha ha, it does seem like its taken forever, but I only started looking into getting an electric bike on 10th Sept, which is when I joined here. So 20 days of research isn't bad. I normally take much longer :D. I actually enjoy the research part of buying a new toy. Nothing worse than buyers remorse, especially when spending £2k+ on a push bike!

During that time I've gone from wanting a Haibike Trekking, to a Cube Cross bike, to a Cube Acid, to the Cube Race. What swung it was attending an event recently were I got to try loads of different ebikes on road, trail and off-road terrain. I found the hard tail mountain bikes to be the most versatile for me, as the increase in resistance with the larger tyres is overcome by the motor, and the fitting of road bias tyres. The Race should be fine for my short commute, whilst also allowing me to off-road if I choose.

Of course, theres time yet to change my mind! :D

Last edited: