Supernova light on Haibike Sduro Trekking 6.0

neil_1976

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2019
Morning all!

I bought my Haibike a few months ago, but recently as its getting a lot darker im finding the headlight isn't up to snuff for some parts of my ride where there are no streetlights.

I was looking at this supernova m99 mini pro-25 as a replacement as statistically it seems very very bright. I have contacted supernova and they confirmed this light will work on my bike too.

I'm clueless when it comes to anything mechnical/electrical so i had a few questions I hope maybe someone here can help with:

While the light is suitable for the bike, I understand I am at the bottom of the voltage requirement, does that mean the light wont be as bright as expected?
I believe I need a special Yamaha cable like this one? (I believe my bike has a PW-SE motor) anyone able to confirm this cable is right?
I went to a local bike shop and he confused me by telling me the light needs to connect to the battery but what I have seen it connects to the motor or at least a plug around the motor?

Thanks very much.

Neil

Jonnie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
I am really enjoying mine. I have completed about 700 miles so far since the end of August. I cycle 4 days a week completing 70 miles a week. I haven’t changed anything on the bike and it all seems fine to me. Perhaps to a more knowledgeable cyclist, they might want to change a few parts, but I don’t know what I don’t know! I have added front and rear lights of course, an use panniers for work. Saddle seems comfortable enough, although I do wear padded clothing,

I was charging every two trips and in constant high mode. But now I use a bad bass box and charge every trip from around 40%, so not really too bad for the battery. Only using high power for uphill and for flat and downhill I’m always on eco, eco+ or standard. I feel a lot more at one with the bike, safer on the roads with the extra power and better cruising speed around 20-22mph on the flat. Plus commute now 4-6 mins faster.. I’ll continue to tweak the mode used on the commute, just to look after the long term life’s of the battery.

I got the MRS bottle attachment, which of course looks cool, but also solves the issue of where to put the bottle! Plus the MRS lock, which is fine for work, but wouldn’t only use if left in public place, (not that I do anyway).

Tyres, seems pretty robust and have good grip, been in some pretty intense downpours recently and no issues..only use a few of the gears tbh, guess using less power I will start to use the lower gears as time goes on and I get stronger

Any questions, pls ask..

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am really enjoying mine. I have completed about 700 miles so far since the end of August. I cycle 4 days a week completing 70 miles a week. I haven’t changed anything on the bike and it all seems fine to me. Perhaps to a more knowledgeable cyclist, they might want to change a few parts, but I don’t know what I don’t know! I have added front and rear lights of course, an use panniers for work. Saddle seems comfortable enough, although I do wear padded clothing,

I was charging every two trips and in constant high mode. But now I use a bad bass box and charge every trip from around 40%, so not really too bad for the battery. Only using high power for uphill and for flat and downhill I’m always on eco, eco+ or standard. I feel a lot more at one with the bike, safer on the roads with the extra power and better cruising speed around 20-22mph on the flat. Plus commute now 4-6 mins faster.. I’ll continue to tweak the mode used on the commute, just to look after the long term life’s of the battery.

I got the MRS bottle attachment, which of course looks cool, but also solves the issue of where to put the bottle! Plus the MRS lock, which is fine for work, but wouldn’t only use if left in public place, (not that I do anyway).

Tyres, seems pretty robust and have good grip, been in some pretty intense downpours recently and no issues..only use a few of the gears tbh, guess using less power I will start to use the lower gears as time goes on and I get stronger

Any questions, pls ask..
I think we have a contender for thread hijack of 2019 ;)

OP I can only look at supernova lights and dream - they are way above my pay bracket! b+m also have a high beam headlight coming out next month and that can be found for about 170€ on pre-order. With the 100+ saved I think I will buy the supernova brake light.

Automatic power adaption to the port power. This means that the light will have more power on a 12 V port than on a 6 V port. So yes you will be on the low end if the power scale.

The other solution is to buy 2 X 80 lux lights and have one on permanently and the other on a switch and use it as a high beam. 160 lux total isn't too shabby in the pitch black countryside.

Jonnie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
I think we have a contender for thread hijack of 2019 ;)

OP I can only look at supernova lights and dream - they are way above my pay bracket! b+m also have a high beam headlight coming out next month and that can be found for about 170€ on pre-order. With the 100+ saved I think I will buy the supernova brake light.

Automatic power adaption to the port power. This means that the light will have more power on a 12 V port than on a 6 V port. So yes you will be on the low end if the power scale.

The other solution is to buy 2 X 80 lux lights and have one on permanently and the other on a switch and use it as a high beam. 160 lux total isn't too shabby in the pitch black countryside.
The question appeared in my inbox and looked like it was asked of me, so I responded, not realising it was for Neil, ( who hasn’t reponded btw at this time). Having read a few threads for info, I wanted to repay the favour and put a bit back into the site for others. I wont bother next time in trying to help out then, unless directly asked a specific question......

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Sorry if it seems I'm stealing this thread but it's on a similar theme. The old Dutchess and I are just getting back into cycling and thinking we ought to get some lights on the bikes.

We don't want to spend a fortune because we don't us the bikes that often and I guess it's more about safety in being seen, even during the day that's most important. My question is, could anyone recommend any re-chargeable sets that would suit our purpose.

Thanks for any help.

Hutchy

Just Joined
Aug 19, 2019
Heh, sorry been a bit busy and oddly didnt get reply notifications except for Bobajob's message (We had a bit of a text chat about the bike - I didnt ignore him :) )

For the sake of posterity and in case anyone else ends up searching for the same thing I did get the supernova light. I might've waited if I'd seen the message from another kiwi but I had already bought the light by then.

Anyway its fitted now (I just got it back from the shop today - was too scared to do it myself) and im happy. It is WAY brighter than the skybeamer that comes with the haibike and seems pretty good for my needs.

The engineer who fitted it said he felt like the connectors supernova use have the potential to go wrong as they involve pushing some plates against a wire or something like that, so will have to see how it goes.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Thread drift a little.
I’m fairly please with the Haibike but I wish I knew a little more before I’d bought as I would have had a removable display like the Bosch intuvia display.