Suspension seatposts

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
My X-Byke came with a poor suspension seatpost. It doesn't seem to matter how it's set it seems innefective, adjustment makes no discernable difference. There's also rather a lot of slack in the mechanism and the seat can be moved around a fair bit (there's no adjustment to remove the slack).
Has anyone got a suspension seatpost they can recommend? Or any to avoid, or other experiences with them?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
My X-Byke came with a poor suspension seatpost
I've had an x6 and 2 other ebikes with this seat post and it's worse than useless.
...I've considered thudbuster a time or two but at £100 and no real idea of it's effectiveness never been willing to bite the bullet as it were.

hgbiker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
Hi aseb,

I have a Cane Creek Thudbuster fitted to my 3 e electric sport. It is an excellent seat post which works on a cantilever principle to give a very significant amount of suspension. It is fully adjustable but is of course rather expensive. I purchased it several years ago from the US for another bike and had to pay some duty as well. I think at the time it was about £75.00. It is the best and highly recommended.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I gave up on suspension seat posts, better and more efficient for cycling is a rigid post with less vertical movement...oddly I find them more comfortable as well as I'm not constantly having to shift my backside on the saddle.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
You cant beat the Thudbuster IMHO but its very pricey

Depends what you need it for. If you generally just want to take the buzz and bumps out of the road then I'd recommned the Post Moderne Cushy SL which is 20 to 25quid. I have one on my road bike and find it great. Wouldnt place it on an off road bike though. check out the reviews at evans Post Moderne Cushy SL Suspension Seat Post | Evans Cycles

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I can second the Thudbuster recommendation - I've had one for years, first on my MTB and then moved to my Kalkhoff. It works extremely well, especially with the Brooks saddle, but costs of course.

I've got a USE on the MTB now - pretty good ( Wiggle | USE SX Shokpost Seat Post Seat Posts ) and not as silly money as the Thudbuster.

It's worth forking out a bit for a decent setup - preserve the family jewels ;)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just looked at Post Moderne on Evans sit. £14.99 at moment
Blimey - at that price its cheaper than a lot of non-sus posts. I'd say just buy it - if you dont like it then ebay it for no/little money lost !

Certainly worth a a try if you cycle on roads before throwing a ton at a thudbuster (which whilst certainly will do the job is probably overkill)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
For reference I have used this every working day on my commuter for a year (about 7 miles). It has not stuck or developed any side play/wiggle whatsoever

I am 11.5 stone and I belive the medium MCU that it comes with could easily take another 2/3 stone

you know what, I've convicned myself ! I'm shall buy another right now for when it eventually packs up !

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Just looked at Post Moderne on Evans sit. £14.99 at moment
Hi.

Do you have a direct link for this item as I can't find it on their website. Only shows a Post Moderne seatpost that is discontinued with no price.

Thanks.
Phil.

PS. Actually scratch that as I used the earlier link posted by Kirstin so you guys must have got the last ones..doh..!

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi.

Do you have a direct link for this item as I can't find it on their website. Only shows a Post Moderne seatpost that is discontinued with no price.

Thanks.
Phil.

PS. Actually scratch that as I used the earlier link posted by Kirstin so you guys must have got the last ones..doh..!
Sorry Phil ! Can see that these guys have some but at 25 not 15

Post Moderne Cushy SL Suspension Seatpost

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
No worries Kirstin - you snooze you lose with online bargains..
Thanks for that link btw..
It appears these are a discontinued line now as not many retailers selling them.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Is there a 'standard' seatpost diameter ? as I've found a few Post Moderne posts still available with varying sizes between 25.4mm and 27.2mm (Can't measure mine atm as its at home waiting for a tube/tyre swap after 2 punctures on last 2 rides..Doh..!)

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
There's more than 2 sizes, you need to fit to the nearest 0.2mm, collars are available for them.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Thanks.
I've measured mine since and its 27.2mm. I've ordered a Post Moderne Bracer seatpost from ebay for £17 delivered, which looks like it might be a higher spec than the Cushy model, as long as it helps my back I'll be happy..

C

Cyclezee

Looks like you got a good deal there, no snoozing this time Phil;)

Hope it helps your back too.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Cheers John, luckily they had a few to sell but yes no snoozing this time..
Might look at getting a Specialized Expedition next to upgrade the stock Giant saddle as I've read good things about them.

I'll tell you what's not helping my back, fixing bloody punctures, after my THIRD in as many rides.
After removing my new Marathon Plus the flimsy rim tape/band just came away with the tube and appears to have snapped near the valve exposing the tube to some of the spoke nipples. The puncture was on the valve side, confirming a spoke was the culprit...3 tubes later we live and learn..:(