Sussex Police Expand Wisper Fleet!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wealden Police in Sussex have recently expanded their fleet of Wisper bikes to 17, the bikes are supplied and maintained by E-Bikes Direct in Bodium Sussex.

A spokesman from Sussex police said;

The initial trial of the electric bikes in Wealden proved incredibly popular with officers and residents. Due to this it was decided to roll the initiative out across East Sussex giving officers another way of accessing local communities.

PCSO Wendy Wyatt was one of the officers initially trialling the bikes. She said: "The use of these bikes has enabled me to visit communities that I would not normally be able to. Local farms are an excellent example. With a rural area without safe footways it was sometimes impossible to visit sufficiently. However with the new bikes, I can make a number of visits in a relatively short space of time."

Inspector Tony Wakefield said: "It has been well publicised that Sussex Police are having to making financial cuts but it is imperative that where cuts are made, we ensure that our service to the public is either maintained or improved. The electric bikes were one area where we have definitely managed to improve our service to residents. We have made the neighbourhood policing teams more accessible to residents in Wealden and we are now able to offer this service to the rest of East Sussex.

"The bikes will enhance Sussex Police's drive to reduce carbon emissions through the reduction in their fleet usage and by reducing fuel costs considerably the bikes offer excellent value for money.

The electric bikes are fully marked in police livery and will ensure a high visible presence is maintained across East Sussex.

"If you see one of the new electric bikes in your town or village feel free to speak to the officer about it, after all, that’s why we are there."

David Miall from Wisper bikes adds “Electric bikes are undoubtedly a superb choice for police forces wishing to see and be seen by local people however that is not the extent of the benefits. In these days of financial cuts and the necessity to meet demands for lower carbon emissions the deployment of electric bikes are an obvious choice”.

Police line up.jpg

All the best, David :)

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
As a matter of interest do these bike conform to EEC restrictions, or do the the police like to give themself a edge against possible bank heist get-away bikes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Jazper, they conform absolutely to the letter of UK law, so unfortunately no good against any later-day Sussex bound Bonnie and Clydes!

Thanks for asking. :)

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
But against beer thieves! :cool:

One of the brand new electric bikes acquired by police in Wealden was instrumental in arresting a known offender. 
At 9pm on Monday 12 September a call was made to report that a man had stolen a can of beer from a store in Hailsham High Street.

Sergeant Howard Nevill of the Hailsham neighbourhood policing team was on a rural patrol of Hellingly at the time of the incident, testing out the new electric bikes that have been bought to help officers patrolling rural areas without the need for cars.

Sergeant Nevill acknowledged the call and made his way to Hailsham High Street. Within minutes, with the help of his electric bike, he had got to the area before other officers. Due to his local knowledge he was able to identify the suspect immediately and made the arrest.

Sgt Nevill said "The electric bike proved an invaluable asset in assisting me in getting to the area quickly and directly. The bikes were purchased first and foremost to ensure local officers can get access to areas but this time it proved to have another use as well".

More police officers across East Sussex will have pedal power after 17 more electric bikes were purchased for use by neighbourhood policing teams.

Sussex Police press release.

Police 3 90meg.jpg

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
marvellous 1 can of beer and the police are in action....£2300 of air bags,seatbelts and damage to my car and they aren't interested..sums up the uk today.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Well carpetbagger - there is a difference between theft/damage from an individual and theft/damage from a business ;-)

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Well carpetbagger - there is a difference between theft/damage from an individual and theft/damage from a business ;-)
they should both be punishable by hanging.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Is there anything else!lol........Alpino's I think going by the picture (white frames) but your right the ECO is white also

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
What a show of! I hate successful people!:confused::p

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Eddie! I must say we are having a good time at the moment, you never know, one day we may even make some money! :)

Loads of very exciting stuff on the horizon.

All the best, David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I should say a big vote of thanks goes to the team at E-Bikes Direct, this was not an easy contract to win. The Police as you can imagine were very picky and spent months trailing and testing various bikes over a six month period before deciding to place the order.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks everyone for your "likes"!

I really should read my posts before I make them live, "spent months trailing and testing various bikes over a six month period" Ooops!