Swap a bbso1 for a tsdz2 as a direct test

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Have just removed my bbs01 and am going to try the tsdz2 in its place both are legal versions
Might be interesting to see the difference between them

Reactions: KirstinS

Frank D

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2019
Yes, that would be a very useful test for anybody looking for a midrive motor.

My bbs01b has been very reliable and done over 3k mostly as a winter bike in the rain and snow etc, I am going to fully service it now, regrease and check .

I have considered other options , is it a 48v you are going to use ? Thats the version I would be looking at.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi no it is a 36 volt version so I did not have to change the battery but it does have the throttle and brake cut outs got a very good price at the PSWPOWER web site £265 [335 $ ]plus delivery from the eu arrived quickly with vat paid

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The test ride completed my first impressions are its not going to set the world on fire.:confused:
But in the words of a tv add it does exactly what it says on the tin and it does it very well , as a legal 250 watt 36v motor with a 15.5 mph cut off and at the price good value for the money £265.00 :):):):):) [I chose the throttle and brake cut outs ]
It feels like it works in a different way to a bbs01 it is more like a normal non powered bike , I found I put more effort in and used lower assist levels .[still got the :D]
The biggest difference is the battery life it just sips the bbs01 guzzles but I suspect it only draws about 12 or 13 amps and is lucky if it hits 500watt peak
But it is civilised and would make a good all round machine if you do not want to mod and remap it easily [it can be done might look into that]
Two details the throttle and the brakes use the same plugs brakes the outer 2 throttle in the middle
AND THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT IT WILL NOT FIT EVERY FRAME THAT A BBS01 WOULD [purchased to fit into the ugly jcb trike] even i could not get it to fit in. Even with the club hammer and angle grinder the bbs01 just slid in with out a fight its the anti rotation bracket .

Overall i think it will grow on me, it is a small motor and would be great on a town bike with a small battery and the cheaper display[ stealth mode ]

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Nice to see your still messing with different systems mate..I'm still running my bbs01 it gets used twice a week and has been very reliable..I've upped the workload for the motor and done away with the throttle. Still getting good milage out of that Chinese battery 34 mile...I'm looking at another unit for my old mountain bike.. Might try in wheel motor..

Frank D

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2019
Very good price compared to the bbbs , and also lots of info from ES site if you want a bit more power, I run my bbs01b at 48v using a replacement controller but dont use the extra power , so this option is well worth considering.

Ebyke

Pedelecer
Mar 9, 2018
London
Very good price compared to the bbbs , and also lots of info from ES site if you want a bit more power, I run my bbs01b at 48v using a replacement controller but dont use the extra power , so this option is well worth considering.
That's very interesting Frank. Did you encounter any problems or was the controller a straight swap..what's the main improvement in doing this ..

Frank D

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2019
The swop is quite easy, there are a few examples on YouTube the only difference is using the 48volt 750w to replace the 36volt.

The bike becomes a very fast machine indeed with a nice cadence, I will build my next bike instead using a cheap component to trick the lcd into thinking it at 36v. This avoids the need for a new controller, same bbs01b.

Have three bikes all over volted so will wait till end of summer.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex

Had a longer test ride today:) now I understand how to use the pas levels to match gears and pedal effort required cannot get away with ghost pedal trick any more;)
A much happier more relaxed ride found I spent more time enjoying the countryside rather than if I had used the bbs02 that is more about speed and distanceIMG_20190521_171629593.jpg

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
It is tiny motor also has no logo or stickers on it the 750watt is the same size package:rolleyes: I wish I had gone for that :eek: but wanted a legal version again

Chamzamzoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 12, 2016
That is a mad looking bike. I love it.

I know your aim was to be legal, but do you think you'd prefer it over a 26v BBS02B 500w?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The comparison is not a fair one the inner tinkerer loves the bbs02 500watt and the extra grunt but the choice of a bbs01 250watt 15amp and this is a tougher,
I like the bbs01 when I bought this I never dreamed :eek::eek::eek:this outcome.
But as a out of the box option I think for most people the tsdz2 is the better optiono_Oo_O due to the lower cost and the ease of fitting it also just looks neater but I think the 48 v version will be my next purchase
I AM WASHING MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP AND GOING TO STAND IN THE CORNER :rolleyes:

Reactions: jimriley

Chamzamzoo

Feb 12, 2016
Nice! The 48v does look appealing. I think that's what I'm going for.

Although apparently it is the same motor and controller but with a different cadence.

The open source firmware for them looks super interesting too.

Run the 36v at 48v.. access higher cadence, change the max wattage, amps, off road settings toggle. Very interesting.

A question for you, is there anything marked on your one to say its 250w? On the outside of the motor?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
No markings visible at all except a warranty seal and no logo or branding :D
just ordered a 48v version no stock in Germany till first week of june cost £278.00 this time:oops:
thanks for the link will resist the temptation

Reactions: Chamzamzoo

Chamzamzoo

Feb 12, 2016
That’s good, we can get whatever version then and run it at a legal wattage if required.

Ah not too long to wait.. enjoy.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
IMG_20190615_100851952.jpgIMG_20190615_100955456.jpgIMG_20190615_100916074.jpg
Now got the 48 volt built and love it test ride this afternoon
kept it as simple as possible back to a tang steel frame:D:D:D:D:D:D;) wish I had never sold my first build but at least this will take 26 to 29 er wheels and 3inch wide tyres

Last edited: