Swedish newbie, first build

Nusse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Hi,
I bought a used simple ebike a couple of months ago. It has a “180W” motor and a 24V 9Ah battery which gave it a top speed of 23 km/h (14 mph). I changed a few capacitors in the controller and now run it with (4+4+2)S Lipo from Hobbyking. Not a very nice setup.:eek: Top speed is 35 km/h (22 mph) and it works ok . I don’t want to spend any more time and money on this bike (haven’t spent much but I don’t like the bike).
10s_bat.jpgmotion4s.jpgugly.jpg

I will probably build a new and slightly better ebike. A commuter.
I’m 75 kg and the area around here is very flat. A decent looking bike would be nice. Top speed close to 45 (minimum 40) km/h without pedal. Rear motor. Range about 10 miles. If it slows down a little uphill or headwind, that’s ok.

The Xofo looks like a nice motor and cheaper than the Bafang CST http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/14870-xofo-motor.html

Any ideas about this controller (guess 48 V isn’t enough if I want 45 km/h)?
New Product-Controller for ebike kits, View Controller 48V, XOFO Product Details from Suzhou Xiongfeng Motor Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Maybe I can buy a complete kit with wheel (bad/quality idea?) and everything from them?

Bike: I have and old bike (Nishiki.jpg) which might work but would like something with decent brakes and suspension fork.
nishiki.jpg
Maybe something like this:

Radon Scart 7.0

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm glad they finally let you in. Welcome.

You can also get another version of that motor from MXUS. You won't find it on their website. It seems that even their sales saff don't know about it, but if you ask for a MX01A motor, they'll find it. They also sell that same type of controller to go with it, and it connects with a waterproof harness. you'd need their pedal sensor and throttle as well to plug into the harness. Their one comes in a range of different speeds, so make sure you know which one you're getting. The same with the Xofo, who also have the same kit.

The Bafang CST from BMSBattery has the advantage that it comes built into a wheel and we know the speed is 270rpm at 36v, so that's 35 km/h with a 36v battery at 40v, or 42 km/h with 12S lipos at 48v, or 46kn/hr with a 48v battery at 53v.The Xofo I had was 225 rpm at 36v, but you might get a different one.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cyclezee

Hej Nusse,

Welcome to the forum, the best place for help and advice, you just have to filter through it.

An eZee conversion kit might be what you are looking for, we ship to Scandinavia from the UK, so import duty and VAT is already included. The price is SEK 9,745 + delivery
Please take a few minutes to have a look at our website eZee Conversion Kits - electric bikes and conversion kits and you can download the Mk2 installation guide from this page eZee Downloads - electric bikes and conversion kits.

Up_on_the_Hill[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hej Nusse,

Welcome to the forum, the best place for help and advice, you just have to filter through it.

An eZee conversion kit might be what you are looking for, we ship to Scandinavia from the UK, so import duty and VAT is already included. The price is SEK 9,745 + delivery
Please take a few minutes to have a look at our website eZee Conversion Kits - electric bikes and conversion kits and you can download the Mk2 installation guide from this page eZee Downloads - electric bikes and conversion kits.

View attachment 6547
Good quality and refreshing picture showing your ebike .

MS.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
The build looks like a Kudos Sport under a different brand name, as picture below of my bike

100_0225.jpg

mine has a 250 watt motor with a 36vx9amp battery

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
d8veh: Thanks. I've received a first answer regarding the MX01A motor from "mxus" and awaits a more detailed answer.

Cyclezee: I'll absolutely consider a complete (european) kit like yours, thanks for the info.

Jasper53: When I bought the bike I tried to get some info about it and found pictures of the "Kudos Sport" and I guess it's the same, but mine has a slightly smaller motor and battery.

C

Cyclezee

Hej Nusse,

Thank you for considering an eZee conversion kit.

In addition, we can now offer conversion kits from two German manufacturers, Ansmann and Heinzmann at very competitive prices in comparison to German suppliers. We are still in the process of adding details to our website for those brands.

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
This project will probably be slow in progress. Some info from e-mail that I have received so far.

Xofo:

"Re this 350W -500W geared motor with cassette, its price is 130 USD . I would like propose you buy 2 pcs , which can save the shipping cost.

The shipping cost for 2 pcs is 130 USD ( if you buy 1 pcs, the shipping cost is 100 USD )"

MXUS MX01A:

"Actually MX01 can reach faster speed, but so far we just manufactured the first batch.
And the speed is fixed, only can reach 30km/h for 700c rim (36V)."

other mail:
"With reference to your email,
The speed is around 28km/h on 36v (26").
The price for the only motor:150$ shipping cost for 5 sets:
The price for the kit :210$(With the LCD display), the kit including the motor in wheel, controller, throttle, brake, PAS,LCD display.
The delivery cost is about 600$(5 sets 26' kit)."

"We have the sine wave controller for 36-48v controller for the motor, but the price is little expensive, 10 $ more than normal.
In the kit, there are motor in wheel, controller, throttle, e-brake, PAS, LCD screen."

The mx01a might be a little slower than I want, 35-40 km/h at 48V.

mx01a.jpg

BPM3.jpgXFVK 3.jpgXFVK 1.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

The logical choice then for one kit would be the 270rpm 36v 500w Bafang CST from BMSBattery. Speed is about 35km/h on the road. Before the choice was simple because they only had the KU123 controller. Now they've got the S12S (23 amps) and S12P (28 amps) as well.

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Ok. A kit from BMS is about $300+ and from MXUS $220. But it looks as it's not fast enough.

Any reason why I shouldn't chose the S12S (sine wave) controller?

What about the quality of the wheel from BMS and other Chinese vendors?

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I can't comment on the wheel quality from BMS etc., eZee use good quality Weinmann rims and Sandvik spokes.

If you decide to take the BMS route, it might be better to buy the kit without the wheel and get it built by someone local.

D

Deleted member 4366

Ok. A kit from BMS is about $300+ and from MXUS $220. But it looks as it's not fast enough.

Any reason why I shouldn't chose the S12S (sine wave) controller?

The S12S gives less torque than the S12P.

The rims and spokes from BMSBattery are OK. I use them on all my bikes. They don't always tighten the spokes properly, so you have to check them with a spoke key, so make sure that you oeder a spoke key from them ay the same time, Theirs fits very well and is very cheap. When you put the wheel in your frame, you might find that the rim is not central, so you have to dish it. This means that you go round the wheel and loosen all the spokes on one side by half a turn, and then tighten all the spokes on the other side by half a turn, and repeat until the rim is in the right position, Sheldon Brown's wheel-building guide will give you guidance on how to do it.

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Just got a new e-mail regarding the XOFO:

"Re 500W XFVK, assume the wheel size is 26 inches, rpm at 36V is 260 rpm. For different wheel size, we have different versions.

We sell Sine Wave controller (36-48)V ~20Amp. We can provide a complete kits with an assembled 700C wheel, pas, throttle, LCD, waterproof cable.
The complete kits price is 230 USD per one set includes:

--500W XFVK,
-- Sine wave 9 fet controller (36-48)V ~20Amp
--LCD
-- Waterproof cable, brake, throttle, PAS
-- Spoked rim
The shipping cost is 260 USD for 2 sets. I propose you take 2 sets to save the shipping cost.

So the total cost is 720 USD ( 2 sets )."

Two kits from BMS is ~850 USD.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Xofo kits are very nice. You get the waterproof wiring harness. I would tell them that the 260 rpm is very important for you, and ask if they're absolutely sure of that speed at exactly 36v, not 42v fully charged 36v battery. Mine's about 250 rpm

There was another guy from Sweden on Endless Sphere looking for the same as you. I suggested that he contact you. Did you hear anything from him?
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Electrifying my tandem bike

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Thank you very much for all your help, d8veh.

Will try to get in contact with the Swedish guy.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
XOFO is cheaper than Bafang - But how does the quality compare?
When I wrote and asked XOFO last year, they said their BPM is also better than Bafang because something about the way the magnets are mounted? screw versus glue? and also something about better waterproofing, the way XOFO mount their ball-bearings is better waterproofed?
(I was tempted by a BPM but went for 8-fun BBS01 at the end).

Last edited:

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
XOFO is cheaper than Bafang - But how does the quality compare?
When I wrote and asked XOFO last year, they said their BPM is also better than Bafang because something about the way the magnets are mounted? screw versus glue? and also something about better waterproofing, the way XOFO mount their ball-bearings is better waterproofed?
(I was tempted by a BPM but went for 8-fun BBS01 at the end).

I don't know. Guess you have seen this:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/14870-xofo-motor.html

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Yes, I did.
At the end, it was the fear of broken spokes with a powerful hub motor that put me off the BPM.
If you keep tightening the spokes, the holes get enlarged and eventually, you'll have to relace the whole wheel. I asked XOFO if I could have their motor laced to to a rim with eyelets, the answer is no so I went for a crank drive.

Last edited:

Nusse

Apr 7, 2013
SWEDEN
Latest e-mail from Colin Sheng:

"Dear Magnus,

For sure, 260rpm is based on 36V 26 inches. I promise for 260RPM at 36V.. Please kindly see the attachment for the curve which will give you more clear about RPM."

XFVK2.jpgXFVK.jpg

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I noted that maximum torque 31.06NM @ 170 RPM. Assuming bike + rider = 120kgs, 170RPM on 700C wheels = 6.35M/s (14.2mph), gradient: 6.8%. Are you happy with this performance?