Switched to kalkhoff

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Dropped by 50 cycles yesterday and ordered the kalkhoff integrale 10 xt 2016 model. Impressed with the quality and comfort, and the quiet Impulse Evo RS motor. Picking it up midweek, will keep updated posts on how it goes!

Reactions: hopbackguy

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Dropped by 50 cycles yesterday and ordered the kalkhoff integrale 10 xt 2016 model. Impressed with the quality and comfort, and the quiet Impulse Evo RS motor. Picking it up midweek, will keep updated posts on how it goes!
Looking forward to your reports

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Picked the kalkhoff up yesterday afternoon. Must say am pleased with 50 cycles service so far, I took my time making sure I had the correct size frame, and even rode the demo model again yesterday to be absolutely sure. I,m on the cusp between the small 47cm and medium 50cm eventually choosing the medium. First job on getting it home while waiting for battery to fully charge was to change the stock pedals to SPD,s , and replace the saddle with my black Brooks Flyer, which really looks good. Had the Brooks for a year or two so broken in ok, although I reckon it's the saddle that breaks the backside in rather than the other way round. It was dark by the time the battery was fully charged so was able to test the lights on first run out of around nine miles. The lights are great, the front particularly, and is easily as good my Hope front light used on other bikes. Straight away can tell the build quality of the bike, is seems well planted on the road and with a slight alteration to saddle and stem positions the bike seems very comfortable to ride. After the first mile or two I realised just how quiet the impulse Evo RS motor is. After reading about the problems some have had with previous impulse motors I am keeping a keen ear open for any horrible crunching noises but none so far! Am starting to get to grips with the technology in the kalkhoff, the handbook gives info of ways to tailor the motor to suit individual riding styles. Shift sensor detection, Climb Assist, and Ride Profile can all be adjusted to suit. I have initially chosen the `relax` profile which caters for a more sedate touring mode with the emphasis on increased range rather than dynamic performance. Went out again today on a mixture of lanes and the odd level dirt track and have so far covered 62.3 miles with 59% of battery remaining, the majority in eco mode. Despite being set up in an economical way there still seems to be enough power delivered smoothly. I expect to get a greater impact of power when I start experimenting with different device settings in future. At the moment though it feels similar to riding with a steady wind behind you in eco mode, rather than feeling extreme surges whenever pedal pressure is applied. In the present set up it seems realistic to be able to cover long daily distances at typical touring speeds and still feel relatively fresh. I've done lots of long distance endurance events over the years on various custom built bikes such as Mercian and Bob Jackson etc and know that comfort is important. The kalkhoff integrale10 so far seems to fit the bill in comfort and efficiency terms and after a short time the bike definitely felt "right" in fit and feel, a point which has sometimes taken weeks to achieve on previous bikes owned. This is definitely a quality product and typical of a lot of German machines. There are a lot of nice practical touches on this bike which ile probably mention ongoing. Have already contacted 50cycles after sales support who probably rang me back to discuss battery charging details. A leaflet from 50 cycles recommends draining the battery completely before recharging on 3 occasions whereas the owners manual states to do it once. The answer was that once is fine but three times is also ok, ? Think ile do it twice for good measure! Apparently the computer circuitry is adapting to my riding style as much as me getting used to it and that's the reason that there have been a couple of notifications of ride data being updated . The technical support chap said this is normal for a new machine. On the whole am initially very pleased with integrale 10 xt . It looks great, feels great, and will hopefully continue to perform well. Time will tell!

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A leaflet from 50 cycles recommends draining the battery completely before recharging on 3 occasions whereas the owners manual states to do it once. The answer was that once is fine but three times is also ok, ? Think ile do it twice for good measure!
Once is ok, it's nothing to do with conditioning the battery, it's only to set the zero point on the integral smart meter to battery empty.

That ensures its accuracy when checking content or capacity in future.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Almost a week with the new kalkhoff and all good so far. Only about 100 or so miles on the clock due to some grandad duties, and have made a change to the Rider Profile to see how it differs. It seemed to take ages to run the battery down completely and used the two highest levels to hurry it along about. Not sure if I misheard or if am just being about paranoid but thought there may have been a couple of times when I heard a single cracking sound from somewhere near motor/bottom bracket area? Not sure, but everything stayed smooth and no actual prolonged crunching noises as reported by some with the previous Impulse motors. In fact, it's easy to forget that you're riding an ebike at times, firstly cus the motor is really quiet, and secondly, cus the eco mode mimics a non electric bike in how it rides. Eco mode obviously means a little more effort contributed by the rider which seems more of a "normal" ride, although there's a definite difference when switching the assistance off altogether. The maximum 80nm torque is definitely felt in the other higher modes, this is a powerful bike but always feels good with a reassuring ride. The only slight gripe is that the mudguards are bit too short, today rode for the first time on a wet road and found a few splatters onto the rack and on jacket. It seems that most bike manufacturers fall down by fitting inadequate guards. Next job will be to make some nice black mudflaps to fit, can usually make some out of an empty plastic storage bottle, or maybe some black leather. I like the Brooks mudflaps but at around 15 quid each they seem a bit pricey for something that can easily be custom made to suit. Overall am well pleased with the bike so far cus it seems quiet, efficient and comfortable.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raleigh-Rubber-Bike-Cycle-Mudguard-Flap-Mudflap-NEW-Many-Sizes-/122368714867?
Almost a week with the new kalkhoff and all good so far. Only about 100 or so miles on the clock due to some grandad duties, and have made a change to the Rider Profile to see how it differs. It seemed to take ages to run the battery down completely and used the two highest levels to hurry it along about. Not sure if I misheard or if am just being about paranoid but thought there may have been a couple of times when I heard a single cracking sound from somewhere near motor/bottom bracket area? Not sure, but everything stayed smooth and no actual prolonged crunching noises as reported by some with the previous Impulse motors. In fact, it's easy to forget that you're riding an ebike at times, firstly cus the motor is really quiet, and secondly, cus the eco mode mimics a non electric bike in how it rides. Eco mode obviously means a little more effort contributed by the rider which seems more of a "normal" ride, although there's a definite difference when switching the assistance off altogether. The maximum 80nm torque is definitely felt in the other higher modes, this is a powerful bike but always feels good with a reassuring ride. The only slight gripe is that the mudguards are bit too short, today rode for the first time on a wet road and found a few splatters onto the rack and on jacket. It seems that most bike manufacturers fall down by fitting inadequate guards. Next job will be to make some nice black mudflaps to fit, can usually make some out of an empty plastic storage bottle, or maybe some black leather. I like the Brooks mudflaps but at around 15 quid each they seem a bit pricey for something that can easily be custom made to suit. Overall am well pleased with the bike so far cus it seems quiet, efficient and comfortable.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Have only done just over 300 miles so far on the kalkhoff and still pleased with it. Pretty certain that the 'cracking' sound I've heard a couple of times from he bottom bracket area is actually from the left hand SPD pedal which is getting on abit anprobably needs a new pair. The motor itself is still quiet and smooth and am continuing to get a good range from each charge. Have just returned from a caravan holiday in Scotland, we took my kalkhoff and my better halfs a giant ebike in the back of the car; initially stayed a few days on Skye, did not use bike

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
.....Did not use bike much but did have nice ride on road towards old man of store , very windy and open to the elements but the kalkhoff made easy workout it. Did a few more miles later in Oban area including a days rough stuff on the isle of matters. The bike continues to perform well with no problems other than the front brake which feels spongy and hard at different times; maybe some air in the hydraulics and may need bleeding, will take a look today and return to 50 cycles if no better. Overall am pleased and can recommend the kalkhoff for its ride quality. Since buying my first ebike about a year ago ime not really using conventional bikes much at all and have began to offload a couple of bikes to other family members. I have a restored 1949 Claud Butler which I've owned since the 1980,s which will I would never part with, but am seriously thinking of selling my little used planet x nanolite carbon bike in near future.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Not able to get out on the Kalkhoff as much as would like due to this and that, have only covered 407 miles to date . Continues to please though as I good functional bike with little range anxiety, for example my last ride out of 30 miles used 25% of the battery so am happy with that. When I get more time will take it on a long run to see how it fairs. Have loosely planned to do the Pennine Cycleway sometime this year which runs from Derby to Berwick on Tweed using mainly youth hostels. There's some lumpy bits so will have to get a good idea of the range over that sort of terrain, but hoping for close to the 100 miles if possible. Returned the bike to 50 cycles last week to have the front brake looked at, they found a leak from the hydraulic pipe beneath the handlebar stem, which may possibly have been caused by myself when adjusting it , not sure. Also the rear brakes are making a row as well. They replaced the pipe and both front and rear pads free of any charges. So yes, I have found 50 cycles Loughborough branch to be very good to deal with up to now. Both service and sales depts have been very helpful with advice and are very attentive before and after making a purchase. I took a mate along with me on latest visit who is thinking about an ebike but generally takes a long time deciding, and even though he said is not ready to purchase yet, the sales staff spent a long time explaining the different models and allowing numerous rides on the demonstrator bikes. So top marks to Chloe and Nathan in sales and also to the guys in service department as well, credit where it's due.

Reactions: Crockers

Nandewar

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2017
Australia
I was very interested in reading your review Robbieg. Thank you.
The Integrale is on my short list for a new bike. Have you any experience riding it on gravel roads or forest trails? I am after a bike that is comfortable for long rides on the black top but can take the path less traveled as well. Any thoughts?

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I was very interested in reading your review Robbieg. Thank you.
The Integrale is on my short list for a new bike. Have you any experience riding it on gravel roads or forest trails? I am after a bike that is comfortable for long rides on the black top but can take the path less traveled as well. Any thoughts?
Hi nandewar, yes have used on quite a few loose gravel trails in an effort to escape traffic congestion the Integrale copes well with rough surfaces, and ruts thanks to its solid build quality and schwalbe Big Ben tyres. Have now completed around 530 miles and can recommend kalkhoff as a brand. You may also consider Reuse and Muller, another quality German product. Happy shopping! I

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
re your mudflap issue.... I have used the

SKS Spoiler XXL from Tredz - at £2.99 (delivered) they are superb value!

• Informative
Reactions: tommie

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent

Looks like a good product at a cheap price ile get on to it asap, think it could fit front me rear? Mind you a parasol might be good with the unrelenting sun at the moment!

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Looks like a good product at a cheap price ile get on to it asap, think it could fit front me rear? Mind you a parasol might be good with the unrelenting sun at the moment!
I put one on the front on the KTM I had. It made a huge difference... it kept the muck off the Bosch motor. It was so good I have one ordered for my Cube when it arrives.
I don't see why it won't fit the rear guard.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Short ride out today to watch Staffordshire Ironman event cycle through nearby, only done around 20 miles today. However the drive was interrupted on two occasions with a message appearing on the screen stating, " 1/1 wait for drive". This also happened once about a month ago and I removed and replaced the battery pack to restore the drive. Today I kept on riding with no assist for a couple of minutes until it righted itself. So maybe I might have an intermittent fault with contacts to the battery pack possibly happening when hitting a pothole? I shall be exploring further over next few days, making sure contacts are clean and battery clicked in properly. Something that other owners or prospective buyers may need to be aware of maybe; will report back any findings. At 564 miles now covered there seems to have always been a rattle from front forks/ mudguard area when hitting some deeper undulations so will have a check of bolts and fastenings etc as well. Also will fit some bar ends to allow the option to 'stretch out' abit when climbing hills. I hope that these teething problems will eventually be sorted as I really like the bike generally. I previously had a love affair with recumbent a and bought four different models including an Ice trike. The recumbent years as I call them, eventually passed as I returned to upright bikes again, but I,m pretty sure that I shall always own an ebike of sorts, and hopefully the kalkhoff for a good few years. I think it was the right move to go with the Integrale 10, only time will tell !