Tag along cycle offroad with KTM

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Such a lovely day on Sunday, thought I'd try our newish tag along bike on the back of my KTM Macina 29.

The idea being to introduce my 4.5 yr old daughter to offroad riding. I was interested in her response and I was keen to see how the KTM pulled with the additonal drag.

Well, what can I say, 20 miles later having climbed and decended an accumulated 5000 ft.
A fantastic trip over a local part of the South Downs.

My daughter absolutely loved it. It was her that pushed us to go the 20 mile. She did not wan't to go home.

The KTM did its part. There is no way I could have done the distance towing on regular bike. Hump, bumps, dips and puddles. The bike took it all.

I travelled somewhat slower than normal to keep the tag along from bouncing too much. Pedals spinning a little faster that normal in a lower gear. All but the steepest of hills were easily taken with both of us on our saddles.

The odd really steep hill did have us beat. The alfine 11 hub gear does not have a low enough bottom gear to prevent the motor bogging down. Not normally a problem without a towing load but the combination of bumps and the extra load, I could not keep it spinning fast enough.

On the level the bikes rode with ease, just picked our way around the bumps, daughter singing away behind me.

The down hill sections were fine but somewhat challenging for the disk brakes. I had to keep the speed far lower than I would have for just myself. On several occasions the brakes became almost red hot. Spit and sizzle as they say. Modulating the brakes helped a little but still very hot. Having said that, no fade during use and no permanent damage.

The last couple of miles of the trip were spent riding down a track full of sheep and new born lambs. One of the many highlights for my daughter. I don't think we have had such a brilliant day together for a long time.

Back home in time for tea.

For me this trip was fantastic, not a single car to worry about. The bike performed above all expectations and more importantly, my daughter loved it.
The first of many trips.

As a note, the battery, 300wh version finished up with 2 of the 5 bars remaining, probably good for another 10 miles.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Glad you guys had a good day out.

I'm pleased that I'm not the only one here cycling with a nipper just for the sheer fun of it.

My son (5) loves coming out on a ride with me, but 10 miles is about as much as we've attempted so far, so thanks, its encouraging to know that the little ones can handle it.

Here's hoping for some fine weather and long rides for all.