Team Hybrid - Falco E-Motors (direct-drive like BionX)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes well spotted that looks like it Dan:p

Hmm....1000 watt peak!:D

and its British! and fully programmable, yes sounds very much like a BionX.

in the graph it has the 350watt Canadian legal version and UK 250 watt in same motor..meaning I guess that the programming changes the settings for each market...

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Nope...not quite the same:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I'd guess, as with most things Swiss, if you have to ask how much it is - you probably can't afford it.:)

Umm...how much is it?

Last edited:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
the falco motor sounds promising with high torque and i asume quiet running it could be a really good motor just hope they fill holes on the sides as that could lead to problems when it rains
jim

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
I really don't know why I still bother with your forum, but, read the info on this motor it's 5 phase as apposed to 3 phase, try to work it out between yourselves. I'm sure Tony will enlighten you!

Griz

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I really don't know why I still bother with your forum, but, read the info on this motor it's 5 phase as apposed to 3 phase, try to work it out between yourselves. I'm sure Tony will enlighten you!

Griz
It must be hard for you up there with the Gods eating ambrosia...peering down full of disapointment on the rest of us....I am so so sorry:confused: :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Griz
There's a lot of hype on that Team Hybrid webpage, They've always sold high power direct drive motors and been agents for Crystalyte and Puma in the past, raving about each in turn. I'd be surprised if a UK legal Falco could compete with internally geared types for all round use. In any case, they'll have to do something about the holes in the sides if this is to be at all practical and not just another weekend special.

With the coming change in the UK laws on e-bikes, life is likely to get more difficult for marketing motors like this.

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
There's a lot of hype on that Team Hybrid webpage, They've always sold high power direct drive motors and been agents for Crystalyte and Puma in the past, raving about each in turn. I'd be surprised if a UK legal Falco could compete with internally geared types for all round use. In any case, they'll have to do something about the holes in the sides if this is to be at all practical and not just another weekend special.

With the coming change in the UK laws on e-bikes, life is likely to get more difficult for marketing motors like this.
Tony, they do UK legal ones too, and the holes in the side will not be a problem because the electrical parts are isolated, only magnetic forces in there. Lets not all sit in the past, and applaud people who are pushing technology.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hardly Griz, have a look at the photo in the top post and you'll see the cables with outer sleeve falling short of the inner insulation, a perfect water trap, not to mention the exposed windings. Given the strong magnets internally, the open sides will make it prone to picking up the ferrous scrap that litters our roads.

It seems to be just another direct drive motor which in UK legal power form will be outperformed by internally geared ones on climbing. I see no advantage from 5 phase, just more controller complexity to go wrong.
These direct drive motors always seem to be best in their higher power forms, 1000 watts or so.

I'm certainly not sitting in the past, I applaud the new entrants that really are sophisticated progress of various kinds, like the systems from Daum, Bosch and Shimano. For a real pedelec future hub motors will have to get much more sophisticated in their control systems, just having a twistgrip throttle and crude pedelec sensor won't do in the coming market.

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Tony I think that it's best to allow water in and out, it's only when water is held that it becomes a problem. As far as ferrous particals flying through the air is concerned, I've not encountered this problem.