Tern Vs Riese & Müller

Snow pea

Just Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Hi all! I’ve narrowed my research on what my first eBike should be and I would love and appreciate advice from the Pedelecs community.

I’m down to the Tern GSM S00, S10 and HSD S8i together with the Riese & Müller Supercharger and Supercharger2. The bulk of my riding will be a 30 mile daily round trip to the office and back. Terrain is Reasonably flat Norfolk B-roads. I would like to be able to carry some modest loads from time to time. The GSM appeals as I have twin 1 year old boys - however, I can only see me rarely taking them out on 2 wheels.

Thanks for your comments! MikeP

D

Deleted member 25121

The Terns are smaller folding bikes, the R&M Supercharger is anything but portable.

I suggest you visit a local bike shop for a test ride to decide on which style of bike would suit you best and then narrow it down to the best make and model.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thirty miles round trip is a long way for a daily commute.

An hour plus each way on the bike would be too much for me on top of a day's graft.

You may be made of sterner stuff.

Both bikes have the same motor, but the Supercharger with its bigger wheels would handle the job better.

The Tern is not a folder, it's a rigid frame 20" wheel cargo bike, so will certainly be sturdy enough for the job.

But you will find it's slower than a big wheel bike.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Hi all! I’ve narrowed my research on what my first eBike should be and I would love and appreciate advice from the Pedelecs community.

I’m down to the Tern GSM S00, S10 and HSD S8i together with the Riese & Müller Supercharger and Supercharger2. The bulk of my riding will be a 30 mile daily round trip to the office and back. Terrain is Reasonably flat Norfolk B-roads. I would like to be able to carry some modest loads from time to time. The GSM appeals as I have twin 1 year old boys - however, I can only see me rarely taking them out on 2 wheels.

Thanks for your comments! MikeP
If you're in Norfolk, get yourself over to Electrifying Cycles in Cromer, they have R & M bikes in stock, you can have a proper test ride, and the staff there are fantastic, great customer service too.

Reactions: Electrifying Cycles
D

Deleted member 25121

The Tern is not a folder, it's a rigid frame 20" wheel cargo bike, so will certainly be sturdy enough for the job.
You're right, I misread. I still make the point that they are 2 totally different styles of bike though.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi All,

Great advice as per usual. I concur that both bikes are very different so it just comes down to how the bike is being used. Both are great and l think test riding a few bikes out would enable you to choose the right bike. I would much rather people come back a few times or take their time to ensure they get the correct bike. We look forward to seeing you.

All the best
David

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You're right, I misread. I still make the point that they are 2 totally different styles of bike though.
To be fair, the Tern is a semi-folder inasmuch as the handlebar stem flops down onto the crossbar to make a slightly more compact package.

My AVE MH7 is a similar design, 20" wheels, balloon tyres, and a stem that folds.

Makes it a bit easier to lift into the back of my hatchback, but it still weighs plenty.