Thanks Russell

pepston

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2011
Finally made it through all the teething hiccups thanks to Russell. I came across this site purely by chance whilst Googling as one does. A friend gave me an Electroped Roadstar because the batteries exploded and destroyed the casing of the bike. I have since taken all the useful bits off the bike and fitted them to a cheap frame. By virtue of the fact that I am a plastic fabricator, I made some panniers from polypropelene and fitted 3 new batteries 12v 12ah costing just £60. Bargain. Then rewired the whole thing around the salvaged bits ie motor, throttle, display, etc.. The bike has been fantastic until the front forks suspension siezed. I modified the cheap frame by extending the head tube by 25mm to accommodate the Electropeds forks. What I would like to ask is does anyone know if I can obtain a set of forks with a width of approx 140mm between the drop outs to accept my existing motor and wheel. It doesn`t matter if I have to change the frame again due to headtube size but Elecroped went out of business some time back and spares are rather thin. Also, does anyone have a certain flat spot on their throttle on an assist bike? When the motor just cuts out at a particular point or is it just me expecting too much from the unit? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. Regards, Steve.

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Welcome Steve, and well done on your DIY so far.

I can't help with your questions, and, if you don't get a response here, it would be best to re-post your questions on the board which is most widely read: Pedelecs Forum/Electric Bicycles. Someone is bound to make suggestions.

pepston

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks for the advice 10mph. I will repost. Happy twiddling and tweaking.

CRIPES

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2012
Hi pepston,

Most interested in your set up transfer.
I have recently purchased the same bike the Roadstar. And am looking for ways to inprove the performance. Swapping the set up over to a better frame is an option I am looking at...so would love to know in more detail how you manged to do so.
Pictures would be great to see, as they are easier to understand than words at times. :).
I don't believe the consul(display) really has much point other than the battery life indicator. As the speed is VERY inrrelevant as its hardly "warp factor ten Mr Sulu!". Plus I am only expecting to use it for round trips of about 15miles max (covers most of the major shopping shops).
Also..have you managed to improve on its performance in anyway other than the frame swap?.

Cheers!
CRIPES :)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi CRIPES,

Welcome to the community.

It would also help if your could take some pictures of the electrical parts on your bike to see if they can be re-used or checked over to see if they are working as they should.

If you post them in a new thread in the main section under "electric bikes" with a new heading relevent to what you are trying to achieve then other members may be able to help you proceed.

One of the important things would be the drop out width of the motor and what size wheel you have.

Last edited:

CRIPES

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2012
Hi shemozzle999...

Unfortunately my camera is dead...so don't have one right now.
I believe it maybe an early version of the Roadstar as it has a cantilever front brake (useless).
The later builds had a V-brake.
I have the 5 speed version...and from the looks of the forks they are 140/5 width.
There is no name or details of any kind on the motor (front hub). So no idea what the wattage should be. But guessing 200 maybe 250watts.
Everything on the display appears to work....I have ridden it once so far....Gears pretty weak..need sorting. Hate the twist grip gear changer...much prefer friction shift.
I have brought brand new batteries and those on it had leaked and died. So I purchased three 12v 12ah SLA batteries as thats what was in the battery case.

I have opened it up the display to see what was what..And it appears I could possibly remove it by means of just unplugging the cables to the display. But unfortunately..i cannot remove the bike frame plastic body and it has a riveted plate on the seat post section...rather annoying...It would mean drilling it...but I don't want to mess anything.

Anyway....i'm waffling.....Just don't want it to end up as a waste of money. :( Brought with the intention of getting me going again because of my arthritis..

Cheers!
CRIPES

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
Hello all,
I was thinking about one of these as a project

Is the motor on the Roadstar brush type or brushless?

Is there a separate controller for distributing power from the battery? (or just two wires into the motor..assuming brushed type)

Thanks