The 6 spd MEGARANGE 13-34T freewheel famine may be over.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Managed to obtain a brand new Shimano 13t-to-34T (11 to 34 not made in the 6 speed range), threaded 6 speed freewheel last week, (The Megarange Cadet version), nice price too - £9.95

They had just one, left in stock - Yipee! (Been trying everywhere on the Internet since summer), so as I was visiting oop north I called in at their Manchester shop as I would be visiting relations some 15 miles south or so in Cheshire. On the day I picked it up, the sales assistant looked at the computer and said: "That's funny".

"What? what?" I asked in fear that I'd been misinformed half expecting it to be the cassette version instead. But no, my freewheel was there waiting for me and the lad went on to explain that, on screen, 18 had just been received into stock in their central Warehouse - that very morning!

I remember Flecc saying that Shimano were well aware of the shortage and e-bike demand for Megarange freewheels and would be rectifying the situation by the year end. Well it's November and the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative Chain has 18 of them in stock. So, if you've been trying without success all year to obtain one, re-check with your favourite source and they may be back in stock. If not then try:

Shimano Cadet Freewheel (£9.95)

My current gearing offers: 37" to 74" - 'free air' pedalling at one end and not enough to get up really, really bad, killer hills at the other end.

Now I'll have 30" to 80"; A significant improvement at the bottom end - I could do with even wider, but to paraphrase the appreciative farmer to the pig in 'Babe': 'That'll do pig, that'll do'.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good find Danny, I thought Shimano couldn't do away with that as it's widely used. They've been having difficulties in keeping up with EU demand for many of their popular items like the Nexus gear hubs, so it's probably that minor items like this have had to wait for attention until the off season.

That £9.95 has long been it's price so it's nice to find something that hasn't been increased. I have this same 13 to 34 on my two bikes, but have a spare already.

Last edited: