The Best Mobile Telephone Ever Made for only £9.10

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hee hee, my first phone and still in the junk drawer. Incredibly robust. Remember dropping it countless times with no consequences.

Doubt if the battery's any good after all these years though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
those phones are now untraceable buy police :D no gps :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've also got an ancient Nokia, a model 1112 which was £9 new. Still works perfectly on it's first battery, but I only have it for emergencies if any occur when on the road. And none have ever occurred yet!

It normally lives switched off all the time, but gets charged once every two months to keep the battery in good condition.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I've also got an ancient Nokia, a model 1112 which was £9 new. Still works perfectly on it's first battery, but I only have it for emergencies if any occur when on the road. And none have ever occurred yet!

It normally lives switched off all the time, but gets charged once every two months to keep the battery in good condition.
C'mon Flecc, we all know you have one for drugs and one for 'ho's.

I hope I have appostrophised that last one correctly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
First mobile phone i had was about 1993. It was a Motorola Flip, on a contract with Orange and i was paying 50p a minute peak and 30p a minute off peak for calls.
Stupidly high prices for calls in those days.

I had a Nokia 3310 about 1998/9..... couldn't use it now, my 3 sim will only work with 3G/4G phones.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
C'mon Flecc, we all know you have one for drugs and one for 'ho's.

I hope I have appostrophised that last one correctly.

No, I'm not a mobile phone fan which is why no-one has the number. It really is just outgoing only for personal emergencies, like breakdowns etc.

I think all phones can be a curse, so the last thing I want is one ringing me while I'm out and about.

P.S. Each two months when I charge it I ring my own home number on the mobile just to keep the PAYG account active, so I had a fiver on it for that purpose. Amusingly ages ago Virgin gave me £30, presumably to encourage more use, but I've still got £34.14 credit, so that didn't pay off for them!

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: grldtnr

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have never bought a Mobil phone or ever put credit on one the phone i have now i found it on the floor.

funny as hell when virgin ring me with there so called offers pmsl yes ill have 1 with a yottabyte of storage please ;)= 1trillionterabytes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I bought a "smart phone" last week (97 € including port) with the intention to use only the "smart" bit and never the phone. Works very well as a 5" tablet to replace my nexus 7 which needs another 59€ bit as well as the new battery to get back on the road... I also have a high end Nokia slider phone that I activate when I move house (the only way to get electricity installed in France). Next time I move I would also have to buy a new battery because I caught the old one swelling just in the nick of time.

The "smart phone" will eventually go on the handlebars as a GPS and eventually as a Bluetooth display unit for the controller.

DAJ

Pedelecer
May 8, 2015
You guys at the cutting edge of cycle technology and yet you shun the smartphone! Just collected my Moto G4 from Tesco, cost me £50 after I boosted my Clubcard vouchers.

Can't wait to get home and set it up, but I am stuck in the pub on my Moto G3 with beer still to drink ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You guys at the cutting edge of cycle technology and yet you shun the smartphone!
I just don't have a use for one. The last thing I'd want is to get phone calls while I'm out, and internet connectivity can wait until I'm back indoors in front of a more sensible screen size.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden and Gringo

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I just don't have a use for one. The last thing I'd want is to get phone calls while I'm out, and internet connectivity can wait until I'm back indoors in front of a more sensible screen size.
I try to do that but when you are assembling your latest bike in the comfort of a covered terrase instead of up three flights of stairs and you need the KT-LCD3 manual what is a man to do?

Seriously though: at work I don't have access to a computer and I have some spare time between 2 and 4 in the morning. Games and reading the Brexit thread on the pedelec forum help while the hours away... :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

DAJ

Pedelecer
May 8, 2015
Neither did I till I got a smart phone, faster than a computer as always on. Immediately available from your pocket. Great for saving money, price checks/discount codes etc. Map/sat Nav always with you. Torch/camera/calculator/book/TV, the list goes on and on.

Modern screens are probably higher resolution than your computer monitor. You don't have to answer if they ring .

I only use my computer a few times a month now and am frustrated by how slow it is compared to the phone.

I didn't need an e-bike till I got one either, but it has a USB port to charge my phone from LOL

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Neither did I till I got a smart phone, faster than a computer as always on. Immediately available from your pocket. Great for saving money, price checks/discount codes etc. Map/sat Nav always with you. Torch/camera/calculator/book/TV, the list goes on and on.

Modern screens are probably higher resolution than your computer monitor. You don't have to answer if they ring .

I only use my computer a few times a month now and am frustrated by how slow it is compared to the phone.

I didn't need an e-bike till I got one either, but it has a USB port to charge my phone from LOL
I well understand what a smartphone can do, but I don't need or even have a use for most of those things. I don't need a map/satnav since I have a much better one in my car and don't get lost when I'm walking. I've got far better torches for when I'm out on a wildlife pursuit at night and I really don't want portable TV! As for prices, I'm generally uninterested in discounts since I prefer to buy the best and are not obsessed with cost. All too often one man's discount is another's poor wage. In any case, shopping for something is far superior on a good size hi-res screen.

And my computer is far from slower than a smartphone. Intel 7 3.6 gb processor, tons of RAM, all solid state hard drives and top speed fibre optic connection sees to that. (see below)

If circumstances change and I find a use for a smartphone that's an advantage for me, I'll buy one immediately, but that isn't the case at present.

Internet speed just checked:

Download speed = 84.83 Mb/sec.

Upload speed = 18.2 Mb/sec.

Reactions: tillson and Croxden

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I well understand what a smartphone can do, but I don't need or even have a use for most of those things. I don't need a map/satnav since I have a much better one in my car and don't get lost when I'm walking. I've got far better torches for when I'm out on a wildlife pursuit at night and I really don't want portable TV! As for prices, I'm generally uninterested in discounts since I prefer to buy the best and are not obsessed with cost. All too often one man's discount is another's poor wage. In any case, shopping for something is far superior on a good size hi-res screen.

And my computer is far from slower than a smartphone. Intel 7 3.6 gb processor, tons of RAM, all solid state hard drives and top speed fibre optic connection sees to that. (see below)

If circumstances change and I find a use for a smartphone that's an advantage for me, I'll buy one immediately, but that isn't the case at present.

Internet speed just checked:

Download speed = 84.83 Mb/sec.

Upload speed = 18.2 Mb/sec.
Browsing this forum on a PC is painful compared to Tapatalk on Android.

Reactions: danielrlee

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Advertisers