The biggest apples of all

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I fitted 60-559 Big Apples to my Wisper 905 a couple of years ago and the improvement was huge, so much so that I wanted them on my 906 as soon as I needed to replace the original tyres. Unfortunately an untimely puncture and lack of available inner tubes at the unplanned Halfords stop meant my next set of tyres were Marathon Plus, I didn't mind this as I wanted to try them at some point. They lasted well but I was never that happy with them, not having punctures was good but it's not everything.
The tyres fitted the 905 rather well, they looked the part and cleared all the fittings. The 906 looked just as generous around the wheels so I decided to order the 60-622 and take a chance.
With hindsight it probably wasn't the best choice, the mudguards and the frame clearances are both a bit less generous than with the 905. Never mind, I'm glad I did it now, now it's almost finished.
Firstly they were a bit of a pain to fit on the rims, they flapped around like sails until air was in them, then I noticed the back wheel rubbed on the mudguard at the top. I’ve got a Topeak 700C luggage rack (another emergency purchase so I could get home), I moved that up to the original rack fitting point so it was up much higher than it was meant to be. That lifted the mudguard up to the right height but the tyre was rubbing at the front, after removing the mudguard completely I found there was about 1mm clearance between the tyre and the frame. Time for the mudguard to go. L
It’s possible with an extra chain link I could move the wheel further back in the horizontal track fork ends (Note: I think the 2012 906s don't have these), that’s something I’ll try when I buy a new chain. I suspect though I won’t be able to use the rear guard again. Luckily I have an unused MTB in the back of the shed and I used the mudguard from that, it’s not good enough on it’s own and I’ve used some Duck tape as well. I have an image of a better solution involving drainpipe but that’s another future project.
The front was harder, again the mudguard wouldn’t fit but there aren’t many fixing points and not much in the way of off the shelf 29er suspension mudguards that would fit. From what I could see the choice was none due to the minimal clearance between the tyre and the fork brace that runs over it. In the end I had to modify the existing mudguard quite a lot, now it only just rubs and I’m happy with it for now.
Now you’ve read the exciting monologue here are some pics:
IMAG0095.jpgIMAG0096.jpgIMAG0097.jpgIMAG0104.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although I've only ridden someone else's bike with Big Apples, I thought they were great, amazingly comfortable and far beyond what one would think from a tyre. Seem to roll well too.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My daughter has the 2" wide ones on her 26" wheeled ebike I did for her. As stated very comfortable and roll really well.

Regards

Jerry

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've found the pressure needs to be slightly lower on these, on the 26" they were ideal at 40psi but that's a bit hard on the 28" so I'm going to try running 30-35psi.
Strangely I also find myself putting more effort in, I dismissed it on the 26" rims as a slight change in gearing but the same has happened again with these. I'm getting much more exercise, I can only think it's because I'm less worried about avoiding every bump in the road.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I’ve just purchased some 20” ones (50-405) for my Dahon. I haven’t tried them yet, as the mudguards need some modification, but I'am hoping they’ll live up to their press.

I got them from Westcountry Recumbents and they were only £14.50 each, inc p&p. They provided an excellent service and for anybody with a small wheeled bike they seem to have a very good selection of tyres. No connection

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I should mention that the old Big Apples have been discontinued and a new tyre with the same name is due out. It might already be out now but I had trouble finding any in stock, of course this means that they are now an unknown tyre and given what a tight fit they are already this may get worse.
I'm guessing they have changed to a flatter profile to help them fit more bikes but I don't know what affect it will have on the ride.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Rolling resistance has always been of interest to me.
I changed the Kenda off road tyres on my bike to Schwalbe City Jets, 26x 1.95. They are really huge and fill the space between mudguard and wheel.
Strangely, their cross section seems to be much the same as the old Kenda 26x 2.25
These new tyres roll well and silently.
However, on my garage wall, I have an old Kenda 26x1.75 which looks much the same as the old imperial 26 x1 3/8. The tread pattern is traditional 'chocolate block' and I just wonder whether to fit it as a trial to see if rolling resistance improves.