The British and bikes

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I had a very bad day today.

It started just a few minutes from home with a bendy bus forcing me into the kerb and off my bike. I was in one of those daft dotted line cycle strips of green tarmac along the side of the road. He just moved across into my space, ironically enough because another bendy bus was coming the other way, and even this main road was not wide enough for two dinosaurs to pass. I gave him a couple of blasts with my Airzound, but he didn't change his course. He could have stopped and let me go, as there was a red light a hundred yards ahead and I re-mounted and overtook him there.

Then I had an aggressive taxi driver. I pass, or am passed by, probably a couple of hundred taxi drivers a day with no problems. I also use taxis a lot to get to meetings when at work. I think the overwhelming majority are good drivers - better than average as they are professional drivers and they know where they are going. But when you get a bad one it is a pain. This chap squeezed past me, coming way too close, going round Trafalgar Square. He then stopped at the lights and I went to the front. After the lights changed he then overtook me 100 yards down the road, coming really close and blowing his horn. He stopped at the next lights so I decided I would point out that once could be a mistake but twice was not acceptable - so we had a bit of a debate in which he made it clear that he believes that I ought to ride in the gutter and that he, as the faster form of transport has automatic right of way. He didn't twig that, if he was faster, I kept being in front of him.

The worst bit, however, was coming home tonight. I was on a cycle and pedestrian path near Buckingham Palace, going at a moderate speed as there were pedestrians around, enjoying the sunny evening. A young boy ran right in front of me. I braked hard, shouted 'Look out!', didn't even have time to blow my horn - and he got a sharp bash on the head from my brake lever - enough to knock him off his feet. I stopped and he was ok - but quite a few tears. His parents were there, so there was nothing I could do but apologise. I never liked the mixed use paths and like them less now. I'll just have to go even more slowly when there are pedestrians around, especially children.

People talk about troubles in threes and it was like that today. All three of these were worse than any other incidents I have had cycling in London in the last year.

I hope everyone else had a better day.

Frank

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Funny how these things happen all on the same day. I had a similar experience last year when I had the same sort of driver force me off the road with the words "you have no rights as you don't pay road tax". Then in town somebody literally ran into my leg and refused to reverse, trapping me against the traffic island and in an 'advanced stop line' of all places!

Keep at it I haven't had a similar level of agression this year. Main problem now seems to be with the influx of "summer bikers" with a distinct lack of road sense, perhaps they are a bit rusty and will improve.

Trafalgar square is a nightmare to get round and I am always in the wrong lane. I do it every day so perhaps I might bump into you. Look out for a Torq next time you are out and about.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My sympathy Frank, that was a really bad day.

I dislike Friday for riding more than any other weekday, especially in the afternoon. Maybe it's the end of week frayed nerves, or drivers looking forward too much to the weekend, but the driving then is generally the most aggressive of the week I find.

Weekends aren't too good either, but more because of dozy driving then.

Motoconfort

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Commuting delights

Some years ago I used to work in central London and live in rural Essex, a ride of some 20 miles each way. I thought that forum members might like to hear of some of the events that befell me during my 3 years cycling this route to and from work.

Missiles thrown at me from passing cars:

Half house brick (missed)
Half eaten pack of fish and chips (hit)
Fireworks (lit)
Beer cans (2 hits)
Beer bottles (hit to helmet)

Missiles thrown by pedestrians

Snowballs with rocks inside them (hit)
Litter bin (miss)
Old training shoe (hit)
Water bombs (containing fluid other than water)
Various types of fruit (hit and miss)

Other joys

Pushed off bike by yobs in car
Dog set on me by group of tramps (bit my leg)
Lunatic in Mercedes drove into me dislocating one of my fingers
The usual aggressive overtaking, cutting in front, to at once turn left

I did not/do not offer rudeness or aggression to car drivers or any one else when I cycle; I think the kind of behaviour listed above stems from some peoples perception of the bike and rider as an easy, vulnerable target. Almost a hunter/prey reflex.
Perhaps it was the fact that I used to travel at a fair pace (18mph average for the 20 miles) that used to wind people up?

Or perhaps it was that special blend of East End/ urban Essex that was to blame?

None of this diminished my desire to cycle because of the alternative; a rail journey which was quite simply a scene from Dante's 'Inferno'. I travelled by rail twice, that was enough.
Hundreds of miserable people squashed into a railway carriages sneezing, coughing and farting over each other for the duration of their trip, and paying for the pleasure.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thanks everyone for putting my problems in context. I feel I've been lucky to escape with my moderate bad luck! There's clearly worse out there.

I was doing a bit of research last night and discovered that in Spain it is illegal for a motor vehicle to come within 1.5 metres when passing a bike. What a good law!

Trafalgar square is a nightmare to get round and I am always in the wrong lane. I do it every day so perhaps I might bump into you. Look out for a Torq next time you are out and about.
I shall keep my eyes open for a Torq - and give you a blast on my Airzound if I spot you!

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was doing a bit of research last night and discovered that in Spain it is illegal for a motor vehicle to come within 1.5 metres when passing a bike. What a good law!
A few years back our Highway Code was given the force of law in any area not otherwise mandated. The code specifies:

139: Overtake only when it is safe to do so. You should

* not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake.

* stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues.

* give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as
much room as you would a car when overtaking.
(My bold characters)

143: DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with
other road users. For example

* approaching or at a road junction on either side

* where the road narrows

* where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works

* when you would force another vehicle to swerve or
slow down

So in effect we have the same provision as Spain, unfortunately with the car drivers seemingly ignorant of the provisions though. :(

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thanks Flecc. It makes sense, but as I didn't even actively know it was in the Highway Code, I can't take my taxi driver to task on that point!

We do tend to have laws based on principals rather than rules, which in general I like, but sometimes a rule can be that bit clearer, and easier to make people aware of.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I think people are put off cycling due to the weather and the high volume of traffic on the roads. I also think cycle lanes should be put on pavements so that cyclists who dont feel comfortable on the roads could use them safely.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think people are put off cycling due to the weather and the high volume of traffic on the roads. I also think cycle lanes should be put on pavements so that cyclists who dont feel comfortable on the roads could use them safely.
Although little known, this is the law already UrbanPuma. Those who feel unsafe can cycle on pavements:

On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. At the time Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Almost identical advice has since been issued by the Home Office with regards the use of fixed penalty notices by 'Community Support Officers' and wardens.

"CSOs and accredited persons will be accountable in the same way as police officers. They will be under the direction and control of the chief officer, supervised on a daily basis by the local community beat officer and will be subject to the same police complaints system. The Government have included provision in the Anti Social Behaviour Bill to enable CSOs and accredited persons to stop those cycling irresponsibly on the pavement in order to issue a fixed penalty notice.

I should stress that the issue is about inconsiderate cycling on the pavements. The new provisions are not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other road users when doing so. Chief officers recognise that the fixed penalty needs to be used with a considerable degree of discretion and it cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16. (Letter to Mr H. Peel from John Crozier of The Home Office, reference T5080/4, 23 February 2004)

While adults are not allowed to cycle on 'footpaths' (see definitions above), children up to the age of 16 cannot be prosecuted for doing so, see text above for clarification.

When using segregated cycle-paths ie signed footways shared with pedestrians, cyclists ought to keep to the side intended for cyclists.

Don't fall for the piffle that you have to carry a bicycle when on a footway or pedestrian crossing. Anyone pushing a bicycle is a "foot-passenger" (Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441) and is not "riding" it (Selby). In his judgment in the Court of Appeal in Crank v Brooks, Waller LJ said: "In my judgment a person who is walking across a pedestrian crossing pushing a bicycle, having started on the pavement on one side on her feet and not on the bicycle, and going across pushing the bicycle with both feet on the ground so to speak is clearly a 'foot passenger'. If for example she had been using it as a scooter by having one foot on the pedal and pushing herself along, she would not have been a 'foot passenger'. But the fact that she had the bicycle in her hand and was walking does not create any difference from a case where she is walking without a bicycle in her hand."

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
A bit of courtesy both ways helps. If I'm aware that a driver has held back from me through a series of bends then I'll give them a wave of thanks when they do go past, and usually I'll get a friendly wave back (I think they mean they have only been held up for two minutes :) ). Seriously, if people think their courtesy has been appreciated they will be keen to do it again, if not then they may not bother.
I am the same, I have come across some very pleasant drivers of cars and lorry's that really are helpful especially on my ride home from work and endevour to cross a very busy road that takes me to a cycle path on the other side which enables me to miss out 3 roundabouts one of which is an M3 junction :eek:
I don't mind the rounabouts but it is good to miss them and cars will slow and stop when they see I am trying to cross if the traffic isn't busy the other way?
I always smile and wave and they ackowledge me too :)
Nice road users
Regards
Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
A few years back our Highway Code was given the force of law in any area not otherwise mandated. The code specifies:

139: Overtake only when it is safe to do so. You should

* not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake.

* stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues.

* give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as
much room as you would a car when overtaking.
(My bold characters)

143: DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with
other road users. For example

* approaching or at a road junction on either side

* where the road narrows

* where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works

* when you would force another vehicle to swerve or
slow down

So in effect we have the same provision as Spain, unfortunately with the car drivers seemingly ignorant of the provisions though. :(
It's a pity a lot of car drivers etc don't abide by these rules :(

I rode a scooter for 18 years, well not the same one, lol!
I used to take up a dominant position in the road on the scooter rather than ride in the gutter so to speak? Any drivers behind me then would have to think about their overtaking strategy?
On starting using the trusty ebike I rode in the gutter like cyclists do and then got the cars whizzing past me real close which I wasn't used to and made me feel far more vulnerable.
I now take a slightly more dominant position, a little away from the kirb, which I think makes the driver behind me think more carefully and overtake a little more safely and taking into consideration oncoming traffic than if I was just cycling in the gutter :)
Mandy

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Thats good to hear flecc :)

Thanks for the information. I shall pass it on to friends who are worried about cycling on the roads.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thats good to hear flecc :)

Thanks for the information. I shall pass it on to friends who are worried about cycling on the roads.
Do make sure they understand the bit about care with pedestrians though. That will also mean not frightening them, so it is necessary to cycle slowly, and in some cases as with elderly people, very slowly in order to comply. If someone is genuinely alarmed by a cyclist on the pavement, a police officer or pcso is entitled to ticket the cyclist for causing that.

On the very rare occasions when I briefly use a pavement stretch, and also when using shared paths, I often slow almost to walking pace to pass a pedestrian is there's any chance they could be startled, especially when approaching from behind when I announce myself with a "Good morning/afternoon" before passing. Less startling than a bell or horn.

Last edited:

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
Thanks everyone for putting my problems in context. I feel I've been lucky to escape with my moderate bad luck! There's clearly worse out there.

I shall keep my eyes open for a Torq - and give you a blast on my Airzound if I spot you!

Frank
Hi Frank! I would think that Spanish law is impossible to enforce! It sounds like political appeasement to the cycling fraternity. ;)

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Interesting - and a little scary - thread, ever since someone on this board mentioned how some drivers deliberately go close to them when passing it's been in the back of my mind when out cycling, I've only noticed a few cars pass close to me but generally they give me room but I do worry about the drivers who go completely to the other side of the road when passing - usually at night as my homemade back light is a lot better than almost all the other back lights I've seen on other people's bikes (if they actually have one at night!)

Something else that occured to me about cars passing is most of the time during the day I've got panners on my bike which when you look at from behind make the bike seem wider.

Does anyone else find that cars give more room when passing at night time than during the day?

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Hi Frank! I would think that Spanish law is impossible to enforce! It sounds like political appeasement to the cycling fraternity. ;)
I don't see it as harder to enforce than many other laws.

Isn't the point of it to set out clearly what should and should not be done? I can imagine going up to my taxi driver and saying 'You came within 1.5 metres of me which is against the law' and it being a lot clearer cut than me saying 'You gave me less room than you would have done another vehicle, while the Highway Code says you should not do that"

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I don't see it as harder to enforce than many other laws.

Isn't the point of it to set out clearly what should and should not be done? I can imagine going up to my taxi driver and saying 'You came within 1.5 metres of me which is against the law' and it being a lot clearer cut than me saying 'You gave me less room than you would have done another vehicle, while the Highway Code says you should not do that"
Sadly I think that StrangeFish is right that it would be impossible to enforce. I can't imagine the police being interested unless the cyclist was actually hit, in which case the 'passing' distance would be beside the point.

And what about the taxi driver, is he going to say "oh yes, I did come closer than 1.5 meters didn't I"? I doubt it. How about rounding up a couple of independent witnesses :confused:

Educating drivers as to how much room a cyclist needs is certainly a good idea but I am not convinced that creating a new offence is the way to do it.

davidw

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2008
High in the Northern Pennines
I too cannot see how creating a new offence will achieve anything. It is more of an attitude of mind and as I said when I started off this thread the difference between riding a cycle in this country and abroad is that, as a generalisation, foreign motorists seemed to treat us as cyclists with the same consideration as British motorists treat horses - they slow down if need be and give them room. For whatever reason that seems not to be in our culture.

Advertisers