The dangers of buying on-line.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This week my Scott EMTB developed a fault.. Rear brake failed in that the lever pulls up to the bars and needs pumping up to work, which is probably just a bleeding repair, but in case its anything more than that I contacted Wheelies on-line to see how to proceed if its a warranty. Normally a trip to the selling dealer leads to a fix and if its a caliper failure they deal with that as well, generally without any issues.
I mailed Wheelies explaining the problem and adding that there is a Scott dealer nearby who would examine and report and asking how to proceed..
Bellow is Wheelies pathetic response to my enquiry..

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email – We’re sorry to hear about the issue with the bike we’ve supplied you.

After 5 months of use it is unlikely that this would be a warranty claim. You’re warranty would cover you against manufacturing or material defects but if this were a defect it would be more likely that the issue would’ve occurred within the first couple of rides.

The only way to check if this would be a fault and is covered under warranty, would be to return the brake system to the manufacturer for inspection.

IF you do wish to return the brake under inspection, please let us know and I can provide further information on how to do so.

Thank you,

Nick

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
English not up to much either.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
In my case its no big deal as its probably just a bleeding job, and I usually upgrade the brakes on a new bike when the pads need changing anyway. But anyone without the wherewithal to take the brakes off could be in a pickle..
Probably how they get their prices so low..

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
PMSL......That's called customer service with a capital F O
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with F0 (disambiguation) (F followed by zero).
Fo or FO may refer to:

Contents
[1Arts and entertainment
Arts and entertainment[edit]
and there is more...

• Informative
Reactions: Crockers

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Brakes that need bleeding also need checking carefully for any leaks which may identify a more serious issue. I'm surprised the bike shop didn't take this more seriously. The shop owner will want to know about this response.

Reactions: Sarabee

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The only way air can get into the system is when the bike is inverted.

Air cannot get into the system when inverted.

The system is sealed and this cannot happen.

If you have issues after the bike has been inverted, then the job of bleeding the system wasn't carried out properly in the first place.

Beyond the above, the only reason that a lever may pull back to the bars, is either because of a leak in the hydraulic system, or poor maintenance in respect of keeping an eye on brake pad wear.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Bike hasn't been inverted and pads look ok so will take it in and get it sorted whatever the problem.
More important to me is my response to that email... not sure what to say as yet so not diving in right now..
It seems to me that a warranty is with the supplier not the manufacturer and on a bike that retailed around 4K you wouldnt expect to be fobbed off after 5 months...but will research some more and then have my say. I am also interested to hear how they will tell me to return the caliper for inspection...
Watch this space..

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Air cannot get into the system when inverted.

The system is sealed and this cannot happen.
air could be dissolved in the fluid and bubbles out over time.
If enough bubbles are in the tank (we are talking about 2-3 drops of mineral fluid from a needle), then the brakes can get spongy.
I usually check that the tank is still full before shipping the bike.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I must admit i'm coming around to the idea on buying locally, and on recommendations. Saying that, i have a shower bought through Amazon prime some 3 months ago. Its not working and Amazon have collected it and given me a full refund.

I will not be buying from Wheelies. Suggest you tell them your on a well know forum with many members and you would be reluctant to recommend their services to any of us. See if you get a better response :).

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Bike hasn't been inverted and pads look ok so will take it in and get it sorted whatever the problem.
More important to me is my response to that email... not sure what to say as yet so not diving in right now..
It seems to me that a warranty is with the supplier not the manufacturer and on a bike that retailed around 4K you wouldnt expect to be fobbed off after 5 months...but will research some more and then have my say. I am also interested to hear how they will tell me to return the caliper for inspection...
Watch this space..
It's law mate. Your contract is solely with the retailer.and 4 k brakes failing After 4 months is a cause for concern. If you wanted to put a rocket up their arse. Your forward it to the manufacturer for their information and mention consumer law and trading standards.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I've had slx brakes (nearly put sex) on my last mtb, they are great brakes and just as good imho as xt and xtr, which i've also used.

I'm sure its just a simple bleeding issue, as you said

• Informative
  • :D
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Appalling service, always worth checking out customer feedback before buying if possible, personal recommendation even better of course.
Had a slight problem with my bike ( delivered in the middle of storm Ewan so didn't check it until later), rang the supplier and they were out to me at 9.30 the next morning!