The G-Tech e-bike

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The TV advert for this bike seems to being pushed hard at the moment.
There are details within that advert that I disagree with,particularly the 30 mile range out of a 5Ah battery.
Has anyone on this forum seen a G-Tech in use. The extent of the TV ads would suggest that the bike should have been widely sold.
KudosDave

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I whizzed past one about 3 months ago in Handcross when out on my Oxydrive Boardman. The guy was pootling along at about 10/12mph just out for a leisurely ride.
Tend to agree if they are being sold in large numbers then they should be a more common sight but as with a lot of bikes they may only be for a weekend run around and other wise little used.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
I seen one a couple of weeks ago but although there doesn't seem to be a lot of them about I'm starting to see more ebikes on the roads

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

DrMagical

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2017
UK
On a FB group a member of GTECH staff posted that they has sold 70,000. I can also confirm that the claim of 30 miles is probably reasonable (I'm about 100kg and new to cycling and I got 25 miles, someone lighter would get 30 miles on full assist).

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
On a FB group a member of GTECH staff posted that they has sold 70,000.
I don't find that number believable. 70,000 is more than the annual sales of e-bikes in the UK added together.
We imported £27 mil of e-bikes last year, 70,000 gtech bikes would sell for about £70 millions.
7,000 is more believable.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I saw one when we had the London shops but haven't seen one since.
A customer of mine bought two,he returned his and bought a Kudos Stealth ,his wife kept hers.
If 70,000 had been sold we should see them everywhere.
Perhaps they have kit car counting system,multiply sales by 10,hehe.
Not being negative,I just don't see the market being big enough to cover the cost of TV advertising.
It seems to me that in the UK there are a large number of e-bike suppliers supplying a small number each but each supplier traded on low overheads,supported often by parent businesses,that is certainly the situation of Kudos.
It sort of works and at least gives customers a lot of choice.
KudosDave

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
I was near their factory and popped in for a test ride on their excellent track.
I have a knee waiting replacement but found it rode well on the flat, I struggled to do a hill start but to be honest at 18.5 stone with two knackered knees I wasn't surprised. If I wasn't the size I am, didn't live in a very hilly area and wanted a bike to pop to the shops or stay fairly local I'd have bought one.
Pop in to see them if you can... if not try their at home test ride deal (with free returns)

• Informative

mxer

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2010
I've only seen them in pairs, his n hers usually pringle topped yellow trousers having a Jolly.

Funny as every time I mention my ebike to work mates or family etc straight away they say "oh, like one of those Gtec bikes?" They usually comment on how good they are, I just nod and say ......."yeah".

Gtec have one hell of an advertising campaign that is working, as the masses think Gtec, rather than Ebike.

Good luck to them..

• Agree

basicasic

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
Amsterdam
Whatever the merits of the G-Tech bike their advertising campaign has certainly raised awareness of the existence of electric bikes in the general public. Virtually everyone (from the UK) I mentioned I was getting an e-bike to was aware of what they were and many specifically mentioned G-Tech (which at the time I'd never heard of as they don't advertise in France to my knowledge). Everyone was positive about them and many said they would consider getting one, fund permitting.

Anything that gets bums off sofas and onto saddles for fresh air and exercise has got to be a good thing and G-Tech's advertising does seem to be doing that.

BigG

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2016
Co Durham
Well if the Gtech adverts don't get bums off sofas and onto saddles as Basicasic suggests... it might get them vacuuming the house or mowing the lawn!
They must have an almost endless advertising budget..... always on TV and full colour page ads in many Sunday supplements.

• Informative

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have yet to see one of their adds.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
They sold 5000 and have ordered 10,000 for this year and were looking for factory to build their bikes so fairly sure that is accurate. This also sounds reasonably accurate.

• Informative

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I have also heard they spend roughly 30% of turnover on marketing (this I think is across the brand as a whole) . I have noticed significant TV advertising and national papers which is not cheap but not sure if the above figure is really true.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have also heard they spend roughly 30% of turnover on marketing (this I think is across the brand as a whole)
I would have thought 30% of operating costs rather than turnover.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are details within that advert that I disagree with,particularly the 30 mile range out of a 5Ah battery.
The range for the majority will be 15 miles, hardly any of their buyers will get near to 30 miles.

Over the last decade we have covered this subject many times, and the average e-bike consumption across the board that most use is 12 Watt/hours per mile.

The Gtech battery is 180 W/h so 15 miles range it is, and the fact that so many of their buyers are not enthusiast cyclists but more casual usage riders makes that even more certain.

• Informative

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I would have thought 30% of operating costs rather than turnover.
Yes could be but only repeating what I heard so that would be a question for GTECH as I do not work for them :)