The Morpeth Electric Bicycle Company

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
I found this shop yesterday during a visit to Morpeth. It is tucked away up a little alleyway. The first floor is the E bike shop, it ONLY sells e bikes.

There is a very good range of bikes by Raleigh, Lapierre and Haibike. Only one hub motor one left at £699, A Raleigh. All the others are crank drive.

I noticed a good range of "Trekking" and urban bikes. There are MTBs too of course.

The owner Pete, is friendly and knowledgeable and commutes on his e bike to the shop when he can. I really like the lack of background "Music" in the shop, I like to consider buying things in peace.

The ground floor is a bike repair shop, run by Pete's business partner Ian.

In the North East, there are not too many independent E bike shops and I would say without hesitation this one is worth a visit.

There are a few reduced bikes eg. Raleigh crossbar large with Shimano STEPS for £1,699 and Raleigh Motus large (step through I think) with 60 demonstration miles for £1,900 (was £2,225) and a Lappiere 53cm sloping tube urban bike, Bosch Performance Line and 500wh battery for £2,100.

This is not a discount store, rather a shop with a good range of quality e bikes and I expect good customer support and back up.

I have no axe to grind here. I am simply saying here is another shop worth looking at. Morpeth has a good national and local rail service now. direct trains from Carlisle, Hexham, Newcastle, York and Edinburgh. Also a few good hills around Morpeth for your test rides.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I popped into this shop last summer whilst on holiday in the NorthEast, and can confirm what Stephen is saying. A good selection of bikes, and an enthusiastic owner who arrived on his bike from north Newcastle as I arrived at the shop. Very knowledgable, and very handy having the service facility in the building as well, albeit under different ownership. Just a pity its away down an alley, although it is right in the centre of Morpeth. There is also another another bike shop selling ebikes a bit further north in Amble, Breeze Cycles, where I spent an interesting hour browsing around.

Reactions: artspeck